PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freeney Drops his Price (Allegedly), And The Pats DE Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Freeney telling teams he’ll take Osi money now | ProFootballTalk

I understand that there is a Freeney thread and that it's more likely Abraham is our target, but I thought this would be a good jumping off point to talk about the Patriots and the DE position:

1. Freeney or Abraham or neither?

2. How does the drafting of Buchanan and Collins affect anything if at all?

3. Where does Freeney or Abraham take this defense?

etc, etc.

Now the draft is over and the WR position has been addressed (hopefully satisfactorily, this is probably the remaining carry over from the pre-draft period. So what are peoples thoughts?

Personally I'd rather wait until June cuts.
You never know who could be available, and the asking prices should come down even more.

After watching some more footage and reading the reports on Collins, I think he's going to be an olb. Would still like a veteran pass rusher. You can never have enough of them. I'd prefer Abraham, but either would work as a situational pass-rusher.

Freeney overplayed his hand. He thought the Broncos were going to pay his price. They decided to go with Shaun Phillips instead. I don't even know if Freeney will get Osi money at this point. He had more value before the draft since everyone in the market for him prior to the draft added a pass rusher.

I would like them to add at least one of them. Chandler Jones hit the wall last year and if this team is going to make a SB run then they will need someone who is conditioned to play 16+ games.

I have no issue with a rotation of players which I think would keep the D fresh over the long haul.

I would like them to add at least one of them. Chandler Jones hit the wall last year and if this team is going to make a SB run then they will need someone who is conditioned to play 16+ games.

I have no issue with a rotation of players which I think would keep the D fresh over the long haul.

Jones was injured. I don't know if he hit a wall. Obviously, him staying healthy is a concern, but I don't think it was conditioning.

BTW< I am beginning to think the Pats and Abraham may have an arrangement already where he signs after the first two weeks of training camp so he can miss double sessions (or what they call double sessions in the new CBA). The Pats have done that on rare occassions before where they acquire a seasoned veteran who doesn't want to do OTAs, minicamp, and double sessions.

Abraham has had experience with the Pats' system with the Jets. So he doesn't have a huge learning curve.

Jones was injured. I don't know if he hit a wall. Obviously, him staying healthy is a concern, but I don't think it was conditioning.

Most college players play 10 games tops. The NFL you play 20+ games, so what I was referring to is the mental conditioning. Many players talk about how when they come into the NFL they did not know how to take care of their bodies or eat right and they learn that pretty quickly from true pros.

Also I would have to disagree with you on Chandler Jones, because he committed to working out this offseason with his brother to get in better shape and add to his quickness. I give him mad props for wanting to take his game up a few levels.

Most college players play 10 games tops. The NFL you play 20+ games, so what I was referring to is the mental conditioning. Many players talk about how when they come into the NFL they did not know how to take care of their bodies or eat right and they learn that pretty quickly from true pros.
We know that. But he badly sprained both ankles so there's no realistic way to balme the "rookie wall" and have a clue if he hit it. More likely it was the sprained ankles.

We know that. But he badly sprained both ankles so there's no realistic way to balme the "rookie wall" and have a clue if he hit it. More likely it was the sprained ankles.

I think we can both agree that when he did go down, they had nothing behind him.

I think we can both agree that when he did go down, they had nothing behind him.

It was certainly a downgrade, as is always the case in losing a starter. But we did have 6 DE's on the roster. Cunningham was suspended for four games during the period, which was flat-out unlucky for us. When we most needed him, he had to sit-out. I'm very curious to see how Justin Francis improves over last year. I think him and Cunningham will serve as solid depth on the team and may play at the DT position like they did last year again (granted we have some pass-rushing tackles this year). I expect Francis to bulk up and be more NFL-ready this year. Not sure what the team sees in Bequette yet. Maybe he surprises us.

It'd be nice to pick someone else up, but it's not necessitated in my eyes. Not sure how much cap will be left after the rookies sign.

That's not quite true. Sure we had no one with the talent of Jones (that's why you have starters vs. backups... because one of them is better), but Cunningham actually filled in nicely for Ninko while Rob moved over to Jones' spot. Jermaine was doing well before he was suspended, and that was the real problem. We lost Jones AND Cunningham, which forced us to use a JAG (scott) and a very raw UDFA (Francis) to play opposite Ninkovich.

All that said, I'd still like to have Abraham now, because I'm not convinced that Cunningham can be as effective unenhanced.

BTW< I am beginning to think the Pats and Abraham may have an arrangement already where he signs after the first two weeks of training camp so he can miss double sessions (or what they call double sessions in the new CBA). The Pats have done that on rare occassions before where they acquire a seasoned veteran who doesn't want to do OTAs, minicamp, and double sessions.

Abraham has had experience with the Pats' system with the Jets. So he doesn't have a huge learning curve.

Seems likely. I think Condon caught wind of it and now with that and Phillips signing with Denver, Freeney's chance of joining a contender have now suddenly shrunken to almost none, especially with asking for $6 million per.

Which he was more than fine with sitting out until someone gave him that. Now he practically begging for someone to sign him for $4 million per.

I'm 100% in favor of signing Abraham to share time with Ninkovich and add depth incase Chandler gets hurt again.

Absolutely. That's why I would still like to see them sign a veteran like Abraham even though I'm hoping that Collins can improve his technique with coaching and like Buchanan.

Freeney can't stop the run. He's a one trick pony. Is it any wonder that he couldn't get his asking price? People in the league know what he's about by now. His trick is valuable, but how often can he accomplish it as he gets on in years?

2010 10 sacks
2011 8.5 sacks
2012 5.0 sacks

I see a pattern in Freeney's production here and it's a downward trend.

If we can sign either Freeney or Abraham I will be happy.

I think Collins will be able to come in with a pass rush role AFTER a year of bulking up and learning pass rush moves. RIght now he is just an athletic guy more suited to blitzing than straight rushing the passer.

Remember when Jones came out everyone thought of him as a developmental product with high upside. He produced immediately for us to start the last year. Now with a year under his belt, more weight on his frame after lifting in the offseason he will go from a nice young player to an elite pass rusher.

So even without Freeney or Abraham I expect our pass rush to be better this year, with one of those vets I expect our pass rush to be excellent.

I didn't realize that Freeney was represented by Condon. That may make the likelihood of Freeney signing with the Patriots quite smal.. While it is true that Condon represented a player that came to Foxborough last year, that decision was in my opinion exclusively the player's (Brandon Lloyd) - and his being released certainly could not have helped the alleged feud between the Pats and Condon.

Abraham is represented by Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa. They also represented Dan Koppen and Ted Larsen; to the best of my knowledge they are known as agents that are far easier to work with than Condon is.

All comes down to price. But a veteran DE on this team can do nothing but help our 3rd down D. If the price is right and we are letting him pin his ears back then i am all for it.

3rd Down rush of

Freeny - Kelly - Armstead - Jones

Collins - Hightower - Mayo

Would be very interesting as it would be tough to know where that rush is coming from.

Abraham > Freeney IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back