PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freeney Drops his Price (Allegedly), And The Pats DE Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
All comes down to price. But a veteran DE on this team can do nothing but help our 3rd down D. If the price is right and we are letting him pin his ears back then i am all for it.

3rd Down rush of

Freeny - Kelly - Armstead - Jones

Collins - Hightower - Mayo

Would be very interesting as it would be tough to know where that rush is coming from.

I would think with a year of experience together this D should be able to get some more creative play calling. Hopefully that should increase the ability of these guys to get home without having to add more players.

Most college players play 10 games tops. The NFL you play 20+ games, so what I was referring to is the mental conditioning. Many players talk about how when they come into the NFL they did not know how to take care of their bodies or eat right and they learn that pretty quickly from true pros.

Also I would have to disagree with you on Chandler Jones, because he committed to working out this offseason with his brother to get in better shape and add to his quickness. I give him mad props for wanting to take his game up a few levels.

In today's day and age, the rookie wall is more of a myth than reality. Athletes are far more conditioned than they were in the past. Now athletes at the college and pro level are working on conditioning all year long. Every college have a team of strength and conditioning trainers, nutritionists, sports psychologists, etc. I guarantee you that most rookies know how to eat right and take care of their bodies. Some don't, but it isn't because they weren't exposed to the right things to do.

BTW< I am beginning to think the Pats and Abraham may have an arrangement already where he signs after the first two weeks of training camp so he can miss double sessions (or what they call double sessions in the new CBA). The Pats have done that on rare occassions before where they acquire a seasoned veteran who doesn't want to do OTAs, minicamp, and double sessions.

Abraham has had experience with the Pats' system with the Jets. So he doesn't have a huge learning curve.

Agreed. BB does cut the vets who have paid their dues in this league major slack.

Plus (pure speculation) I bet Dimitroff and BB tried to make a deal work as well before Abraham was cut but the price for the picks and the $$ was too high.

To your point, I'm sure there is an offer on the table and if he doesn't get a better one, he has a home here.

He and his agent were just incredibly stupid if they thought they were getting more than Osi got- a younger, more durable, better player. I'd be shocked if the Patriots, or any team for that matter paid him even Osi money.

Guy was always overrated and at this point he's just completely shot. Worthless.

Freeney can't stop the run. He's a one trick pony. Is it any wonder that he couldn't get his asking price? People in the league know what he's about by now. His trick is valuable, but how often can he accomplish it as he gets on in years?

2010 10 sacks
2011 8.5 sacks
2012 5.0 sacks

I see a pattern in Freeney's production here and it's a downward trend.

But this is the NFL and to assume all 2 year trends will continue indefinitely is not a sound theory.
Freeney is EXACTLY what this defense needs. He can play 60-70% of the snaps by playing:
3rd down
2nd and long
1st down and 2nd vs pass happy teams
2 minute D
When we have a lead and the other team is one dimensional

What he brings is a guy that draws the attention of the offense, forces them to account for him and often double him, and the ability to exert pressure that shortens the pass play whether he gets to the QB or not.
Freeney has affected more pass plays (by sacks, hits that throw off the pass, pressure that causes the pass play to be shorter, or attention that freed a teammate up to do the same) than any player in the NFL since LT.
This also creates more opportunities for other players. This also allows us to blitz more because we have players with individual rush skills that can take advantage of what the blitz creates. (last year too often we couldn't afford to blitz because we had no one--or not enough--who could beat the one on one that was created by it, so we would just end up covering with less)
Yes he is poor vs the run, but with one run liability on the field but intense pressure in 2 minute defense, we would have at least 2 more rings.
Abraham would be fine too, but the one thing that would help this defense the most is exactly what Freeney brings.
Disclaimer: This comes from a guy who thinks Freeney is one of the most overreated players of the last 10 years because of his weaknesses, but his strengths are exactly what we need, and his weaknesses would be minimized here.

now he drops his price:bricks:

Freeney was once a premier pass rusher, but that day has come and gone. I would have preferred Phillips over him. Remember part of Freeney's success is dome created. The noise and fast surface gave him a tremendous advantage over the years. He never had as much success when playing on grass.

IF...we decide to go with a vet pass rusher, I'd rather it be Abraham, and from what I understand the Phillips contract was one that was $1MM not guaranteed with an additional $2MM in incentives. I think that's the new price mark for any of these guys and it isn't very high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back