PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency and Amendola/Revis Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way Revis leaves. With Kraft coming out and talking about new deal ect. Just don't see it

Posters use "restructure" to mean two very different things.

Some us the term to mean pushing compensation to future years, usually by moving salary and/or a roster bonus into a signing bonus. Players only rarely have an issue with this since they have no reduction in compensation. Sometimes the team throws in an extra $1M because they need to the cap money so badly. Yes, I think that Wilfork would move most of his roster bonus and salary into a new signing bonus.

Others use "restructure" to mean that the player should take a pay cut. This is entirely different. Some folks are suggesting this for Wilfork, Mayo, Amendola, Arrington and Browner.
The team and Wilfork spent a lot of time re-negotiating before the 2014 season. Wilfork has done his job. I don't see him taking a pay cut. I think he'd rather pay for the same money for someone else than take a voluntary pay cut before free agency starts.

A restucture isn't a pay cut, though it could include a paycut. If you change bonuses, pay, incentives etc you are changing the structure, but it's more often thought of as extending the contract to lessen the immediate salary cap hit.

I just don't know how phony you could make a longer contract for someone vince's age and when those cap hits will come due anyway. He played and made every incentive he had this year, I imagine, and i doubt he is going to play for exactly what and when he's scheduled too.

An incentive laden contract can end up a pay raie or a pay cut, since the willingness to take incentives decreases the teams risk, so the opportunity to make more should be there.

Of course, we're kidding ourselves if we don't think NFL veterans don't take virtual or actual pay cuts long into their career as take it or leave it.

Would love to see all of our players back, but that is not realisitc....I think our first two orders of priority are obviuosly Revis and McCourty. I really like Vereen, just not sure if we will be able to afford him.
I think Mayo, Wilfork and Amendola should and will be restructured.

Ash,

Agreed. Franchise McCourty and Resign Revis to a big deal? Check your Pm

A restucture isn't a pay cut, though it could include a paycut.

I agree. However, some posters are indeed proposing pay cuts to Amendola, Wilfork, Mayo, Browner, and Arrington. I think that it is useful to call these pay cuts what they are.

While some of us may not agree, I think that it is reasonable to say that Mayo should be forced to take a pay cut. IMHO, it is misleading and quite incomplete to say that Mayo should be restructured, since such a restructure could be accompanied by a pay cut or not.

I hope I'm wrong, but I simply cannot fathom Wilfork accepting a restructure, whether it's a cut in pay or not.

I think if the Pats won't pay him what he's due this year, they talk to him and when he growls back, they release him.

I hope I'm wrong, but I simply cannot fathom Wilfork accepting a restructure, whether it's a cut in pay or not.

I think if the Pats won't pay him what he's due this year, they talk to him and when he growls back, they release him.
The decision will be made before free agency starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes