PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency and Amendola/Revis Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think Amendola would net on the open market? Consider that the draft is deep for be second straight year at WR, Amendola is entering his 30s, and there are several good WRs entering UFA.

Right now the cap hit is $5.7M. Personally I would keep him at $3M max.

Not sure. But his playoff performance dosent make it easier to keep him. But it might make it more urgent.

What I am worried about is that this has been a rather problematic position for us for a long time. It seems to be the least plug and play position on the team because of the TB chemistry factor. KT is gone. AD has not shown much. Boyce has had one good game and he would be more inclined to be a replacement.

I am worried that if they lose DA they lose a talented slot receiver that now has 2 years under his belt, in this system and only has upside as he works even more within this system. Plus the great special teams he adds.

Not sure he is so replaceable. JE is more of a possession receiver now and they seemed to compliment each other well.

Maybe they think Orton is ready?

Tim Wright the player who caught 26 passes with just 31 targets.

TW looks like he could be a big factor next year but we just heard how the small shiftier WRs of the Pats gave Seattle fits. Small and shifty is the last thing TW is.

Not sure. But his playoff performance dosent make it easier to keep him. But it might make it more urgent.

What I am worried about is that this has been a rather problematic position for us for a long time. It seems to be the least plug and play position on the team because of the TB chemistry factor. KT is gone. AD has not shown much. Boyce has had one good game and he would be more inclined to be a replacement.

I am worried that if they lose DA they lose a talented slot receiver that now has 2 years under his belt, in this system and only has upside as he works even more within this system. Plus the great special teams he adds.

Not sure he is so replaceable. JE is more of a possession receiver now and they seemed to compliment each other well.

I actually have grown to like Amendola, I was admittedly to hard on him and confused lack of opportunity for lack of ability. That said I value him more as a kick returner than I do a receiver simply based on my feeling they could replace his production with Wright and pickup a decent slot player for short money. As a kick returner though he was elite in my opinion arguably the best in the NFL outside of Hester if you look at the fact he didn't get the job until week 6 or 7. If not for Revis I would say keep him just overpay a little but we really need cap space. It will be interesting to see but I am in agreement with you on we are a better team with Amendola than without.

Orton is an outside receiver I believe.

Getting potroast somehow to team up with Vince would be insane but probably impossible with giving Revis and Dmac. Potroast is kinda an idiot but the dude is a really good player no question. He's turned Denver into the league's best run defense. Long ways from when Brandon freakin Bolden tore them a new *******.

As much as I love Arrington I still find it hard to believe he's worth 4 mill a year when he can really only play in the slot. Surprised more OCs don't try to take advantage of that and try to go from the slot to the outside and have the outside wide out go inside. Maybe I'm making things too simple not the best Xs and Os kinda guy.

Tim Wright the player who caught 26 passes with just 31 targets.

I have to admit, one of the most curious aspects of this season was the diminished appearances of Tim Wright. I have to think it was scheme, or him still being relatively green to the system, or no defined role.

Maybe BB remakes the slot with Wright next year? The guy has great hands, clearly.

I have to admit, one of the most curious aspects of this season was the diminished appearances of Tim Wright. I have to think it was scheme, or him still being relatively green to the system, or no defined role.

Maybe BB remakes the slot with Wright next year? The guy has great hands, clearly.
I think Amendola was the incumbent with more experience in the system and a better raptor with Brady similar to Woodhead and Vereen in 2012. The biggest concern in my mind is Edelman having 3 head injuries this season and if Amendola is gone who is backing him up.

If not for Revis I would say keep him just overpay a little but we really need cap space. It will be interesting to see but I am in agreement with you on we are a better team with Amendola than without.

Ah, you are putting the cart before the horse. No decisions have to made about Amendola until AFTER we know what will happen with Revis. IMHO, after the Revis situation is resolved on March 10th, there will be somewhere between $8M and $20M of cap money freed up.

The number for McCourty will also be known.

I agree that if Amendola needs to be cut in order to sign deals with Revis and McCourty, then Amendola will be cut. HOWEVER, I believe that this will NOT be the case. I believe that decisions on Amedndola can wait until the 3rd week in March or even later.

I have two questions for the cap experts out there:

1. Is cutting Amendola and letting him test the open market and re-signing him to a better deal if he can't find a better deal elsewhere a feasible option?

2. How would a restructure of Mayo's contract work? What's the likelihood of him agreeing to it?

I have two questions for the cap experts out there:

1. Is cutting Amendola and letting him test the open market and re-signing him to a better deal if he can't find a better deal elsewhere a feasible option?

2. How would a restructure of Mayo's contract work? What's the likelihood of him agreeing to it?
There is only one cap expert here (Miguel), but I'll give it a shot.

MAYO - OPTION 1
Mayo could agree to move $5.4M of his salary to a bonus. This would reduce the 2015 cap by $3.6M. Mayo would do this since there is no reduction in compensation.

MAYO - OPTION 2
Mayo could be asked to cut his salary or be cut. Since his 2015 salary is almost all guaranteed in case of injury, this couldn't work until after he took a physical. Any cut before then wouldn't the cap much.
However, after Mayo passes a physical, the team could threaten to cut him unless he reduced his total compensation and moved some of the money to a bonus.

IMHO, Mayo MIGHT agree to a reduce his compensation some, if there were bonuses that would allow him to reach his former levels if he performs.

My expectation is that Mayo will be back and that the cap will be decreased by at least $3.5M. If he is not back the savings would be more, but only after he passes a physical. I would hope that Mayo would agree to some incentives instead of salary in 2016 and 2017.
========================

AMENDOLA
Yes, Amendola can be cut with a significant cap savings. Yes, he could later re-sign with anyone, including the patriots. Realize that the sunk cost (previous bonus) or $3.6M has to hit the cap no matter what. The key is to avoid paying Danny $4.5M of new money for his 2015 services by cutting him or getting him to agree to a reduction. BTW, there is no particular need to make a decision anytime soon.

There are quite a few teams with tons of cap space. I doubt that we could get guys like; Amendola, Wilfork, Mayo and Arrington back on cheaper deals if we released them.

There is only one cap expert here (Miguel), but I'll give it a shot.

MAYO - OPTION 1
Mayo could agree to move $5.4M of his salary to a bonus. This would reduce the 2015 cap by $3.6M. Mayo would do this since there is no reduction in compensation.

MAYO - OPTION 2
Mayo could be asked to cut his salary or be cut. Since his 2015 salary is almost all guaranteed in case of injury, this couldn't work until after he took a physical. Any cut before then wouldn't the cap much.
However, after Mayo passes a physical, the team could threaten to cut him unless he reduced his total compensation and moved some of the money to a bonus.

IMHO, Mayo MIGHT agree to a reduce his compensation some, if there were bonuses that would allow him to reach his former levels if he performs.

My expectation is that Mayo will be back and that the cap will be decreased by at least $3.5M. If he is not back the savings would be more, but only after he passes a physical. I would hope that Mayo would agree to some incentives instead of salary in 2016 and 2017.
========================

AMENDOLA
Yes, Amendola can be cut with a significant cap savings. Yes, he could later re-sign with anyone, including the patriots. Realize that the sunk cost (previous bonus) or $3.6M has to hit the cap no matter what. The key is to avoid paying Danny $4.5M of new money for his 2015 services by cutting him or getting him to agree to a reduction. BTW, there is no particular need to make a decision anytime soon.

Thanks MG. Excellent post.

I don't know a whole lot about the CAP but DA cap hit is like 5.7 million and his dead cap number is 3.6 so the pas only save like 2 million by cutting him ? if that's the case I don't see a reason to cut him for only 2 million he was great in the playoffs maybe he can bring some of that into the start of 2015

I don't know a whole lot about the CAP but DA cap hit is like 5.7 million and his dead cap number is 3.6 so the pas only save like 2 million by cutting him ? if that's the case I don't see a reason to cut him for only 2 million he was great in the playoffs maybe he can bring some of that into the start of 2015

By cutting him you save about $2M this year and $2.4M bonus still remaining on the contract for a total of $5.4M

By cutting him you save about $2M this year and $2.4M bonus still remaining on the contract for a total of $5.4M
ok did not know that thanks for the info, now that I know that lol he just may get cut or rework his contract if he wants to stay

Any opinions on Knighton? He wasnt making much with the donkeys in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back