PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Finally two roadgraders on the right side

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Neal and O'Callaghan may be the best news Dillon has this year, other than his health. They have the potential to open big holes.

I didn't read anywhere that O'Callahan had won the RT job. I read he was practising with the first team, but that doesn't set it in stone. O'Callahan looks like he might be a steal, but he's still a 5th round rookie. I see Kaczur winning the job, if he ever comes back. If O'callahan does win it, that means he deserved it.

I also remember a play early in the 4th qtr where O'Callaghan did a passable imitation of a turnstile and sent Facile Cassel running for his life. Cassel made lemonade out of it, the fella can run, but no thanks to O'Callaghan.

This isn't a knock on O'Callaghan, I've got much hope for the guy. Just a reminder that he's still a rookie and hasn't yet taken anyone's job.

As long as Neal doesn't make a habbit of clipping people on big plays, we should be alright. I wouldn't even bring that up if he didn't have a history of doing really stupid stuff like that sometimes to his own teammates.

WTF is a "roadgrader"??

I mean, what the hell does that mean anyway?!?!

I hate that term because some radio personality made it up and now everyone uses it..

Dfresh429 said:
WTF is a "roadgrader"??

It is the piece of equipment that comes allong during road construction and smooths out all the bumps and pits and allows for a nice easy surface to drive on.

I hate that term because some radio personality made it up and now everyone uses it..

In football parlance it is an Olineman whose job is specifically to make it easy for a running back to gain yards. As a roadgrader actually smooths the road for cars, so does roadgrading Olineman pave the way for the running back.

We'll I guess O'Callaghan's opportunity will be at Tackle.
Even Belichick says he has a long way to go. But he has come a long
way already to be practicing with starters.

As for Neal ... I was hoping for an upgrade at this postion without going into
details. I like Neal as a person. If O'Callaghan does well enough to take
over RT what would be Kaczur's role be if he comes back healthy? He
probably could be a high level backup to any Oline position except center.

Last edited:
From what little I've watched of O'Callghan, I don't see him as an upgrade in pass protection - early days there, I'm confident he'll improve his foot speed and technique working with Scarneccia, Woicik, and Nash, but that will be incremental over the season, any huge jumps will come in the off-season program.

He has the tools to be an upgrade as a run blocker, since BB is building a team that appears to be strong on the run this season, O'Callaghan will get plenty of reps and have a chance to take the starting job. I predict Gorin will start at RT against Buffalo, O'Callaghan will get in some RT work for a couple series, the same way Kaczur was getting time last year.

After Light, Gorin, and Kaczur, the tackles are O'Callaghan, Britt, and Hand. Britt is on the bubble and may be headed back to the practice squad. Of course, the ideal would be for Pioli to find another Ashworth after cutdowns start, which may put Britt on the shadow roster.

Whether we use Gorin alongside Neal, or O'Callaghan, the reality is that both sides of the line are pretty impressive with the RB group we have ready to run behind them.

Box_O_Rocks said:
the reality is that both sides of the line are pretty impressive with the RB group we have ready to run behind them.

(Sigh, wink) You are such a Homer (reality speaking, Homer-wise).

Clonamery said:
(Sigh, wink) You are such a Homer (reality speaking, Homer-wise).
Kool Aid MMMMMMMM!

14thDragon said:
It is the piece of equipment that comes allong during road construction and smooths out all the bumps and pits and allows for a nice easy surface to drive on.

In football parlance it is an Olineman whose job is specifically to make it easy for a running back to gain yards. As a roadgrader actually smooths the road for cars, so does roadgrading Olineman pave the way for the running back.

OK, I appologize for my hot head lol..

I did know what it meant, i guess i phrased my frustration wrong..its just one of those cliche'd terms that people use to sounds like an expert (namely announcers IE - Joe Theisman) Others include "Now, he's a football player" or how Mark Schlereth never says NFL, but always says "national football league" or how they call quarterbacks who run around like crazy people and throw interceptions "Gunslingers"...i hate announcers

Last edited:
I remember the days when our O line was in shambles!!! Even with all our O line healthy they couldn't do anything.

Now, O line could be one of our strenghts. The main problem we have had is injuries, but we have had enough depth that it hasn't totally done in the team. I think if everyone can stay healthy that this will be one of the best lines I have seen on the Patriots.

I agree that our running backs will be running over a LOT of people this year if everything works out as planned!! :singing:

Dfresh429 said:
WTF is a "roadgrader"??

no. no. no.......

I made up the term on another Patriots Messageboard and the radio bozo stole it from me

Attachments

• capture3.jpg
    capture3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 86
Dfresh429 said:

Nah, my bad, I have a tendecy to mistake rhetorical questions for actual questions. I have difficulty recognising irony.

But I agree, there are lots of foolish terms used in football. The one I dislike the most is running backs who "carry the mail".

14thDragon said:

Funny stuff!

Last edited:
Dfresh429 said:
WTF is a "roadgrader"??

Road Grater! You know. The big rigs that flatten/smooth out (grate) the roads prior to laying down the tar.

John Hannah was a road grater, who use to FLATTEN the opposition.

Road graters are mean, nasty, and strong M-Fers that open up some rather large holes.

I agree with the post. I love what I'm seeing with this OLINE.

Dfresh429 said:

I did know what it meant, i guess i phrased my frustration wrong..its just one of those cliche'd terms that people use to sounds like an expert (namely announcers IE - Joe Theisman) Others include "Now, he's a football player" or how Mark Schlereth never says NFL, but always says "national football league" or how they call quarterbacks who run around like crazy people and throw interceptions "Gunslingers"...i hate announcers
Sensitive? :)

Bostonian1962 said:
Road Grater! You know. The big rigs that flatten/smooth out (grate) the roads prior to laying down the tar.

John Hannah was a road grater, who use to FLATTEN the opposition.

Road graters are mean, nasty, and strong M-Fers that open up some rather large holes.

I agree with the post. I love what I'm seeing with this OLINE.
No, it is not a road "grater", it is a road GRADER. But thanks for your contribution.

v. grad·ed, grad·ing, grades
v. tr.

4. To level or smooth to a desired or horizontal gradient: bulldozers graded the road.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/grade

Last edited:
PromisedLand said:
No, it is not a road "grater", it is a road GRADER. But thanks for your contribution.
I've watched enough Bob the Builder to know that this is true. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft