PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final round of roster cuts for Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats going to be a big concern during the regular season
This was never a strong ground n pound team anyway. Thats not their game.

Anyway Solder,Vollmer was in/out. Jackson and Shaq are rooks. No Wendyy. Stork never played.

Gotta see the line jell a little.

I disagree.. Our O-line is finally getting healthy and I believe that the insertion of Jackson at RG with Wendell at LG and Stork returning to center will allow things to be night and day in comparison.
...and Wendy looked fine last night. Hes not a rock star but he knows what to do out there.

Why? Most of the OL this pre-season was just back-ups and guys that will be cut.

This was never a strong ground n pound team anyway. Thats not their game.

Anyway Solder,Vollmer was in/out. Jackson and Shaq are rooks. No Wendyy. Stork never played.

Gotta see the line jell a little.

Yeah, if there is one area that almost never becomes a full season issue, it's the OL. Games here and there, yes, but not all year. You really don't have to look back too far to find encouragement. :)

The only exceptions I can think of are 2005 (lots of injuries) and 2013.

Blount get a pass. The entire OL was beyond pathetic this preseason.
I sometimes wonder what game some people are watching. I remember the Saints game in particular where people in the game thread had their pitchforks ready for Blount even though the defenders were getting into the backfield almost at the same time he was receiving the hand-off. There really is not much a back can do, well other than maybe Sanders and a select few others, when that is happening.

...and Wendy looked fine last night. Hes not a rock star but he knows what to do out there.
Yeah.. Wendy did look fine playing center..I don't want him there full time, though..

Yeah, if there is one area that almost never becomes a full season issue, it's the OL. Games here and there, yes, but not all year. You really don't have to look back too far to find encouragement. :)

The only exceptions I can think of are 2005 (lots of injuries) and 2013.
They lost Light in 05 right?

Yeah.. Wendy did look fine playing center..I don't want him there full time, though..

I wasn't watching the OL as closely as I should have, was he the reason why there was suddenly so much more running room in the middle?

Agreed. As you say he'll be at LG. I think Jackson locked up RG.

I sometimes wonder what game some people are watching. I remember the Saints game in particular where people in the game thread had their pitchforks ready for Blount even though the defenders were getting into the backfield almost at the same time he was receiving the hand-off. There really is not much a back can do, well other than maybe Sanders and a select few others, when that is happening.
Obviously Blount needs to get the LoS to be able to do anything. Once he gets there he can do his little tap-dancing b/c he has good feet and can move forward for a few yards. He can break tackles and then accomplish something.

Unless adding Stork and Wendell has the same stabilizing effect that it had last year

Agreed. As you say he'll be at LG. I think Jackson locked up RG.

My concern is that the Pats don't seem to have anyone in the pipeline like they did when they had Ashworth and Gorin on the PS.. Martin and Hauptmann make Ashworth and Gorin look like All-Pros..

My concern is that the Pats don't seem to have anyone in the pipeline like they did when they had Ashworth and Gorin on the PS.. Martin and Hauptmann make Ashworth and Gorin look like All-Pros..

You could throw a dart at the cut list and whatever player it landed on would be a better OT than Chris Martin. Even if it wasn't a tackle. I can't imagine he comes back in any form.

You could throw a dart at the cut list and whatever player it landed on would be a better OT than Chris Martin. Even if it wasn't a tackle. I can't imagine he comes back in any form.

It will be interesting to see what the Patriots do for O-Line depth on the practice squad.. Especially if Groy was truly waived/injured..

Looks like Andrews has made the team as an UDFA.

Another outstanding selection by Bobby Grier....:rolleyes:

Rod had hands of stone but was just a tick below Danny Graham on the blocking side.

I think Tom Brady's 1st complete pass as a pro was to Rod Rutledge. Remember reading that somewhere?

I have no idea what to make of Mike Williams here.

You are correct, Rod Rutledge was the recipient of Tom Brady's first pass. However, I don't remember him too well, at the time I mostly paid attention to the starters and didn't have the entire roster memorized like I do now ;)

I have hopes for Mike Williams, but I am no football expert, so who knows. He definitely doesn't have hands of stone, he has good hands. Plus, his football intelligence is excellent, that is why Saban loved him so much. I don't see him as a replacement for Fleming, but I think he could do some of what Fleming did last year. Fleming came in as a sixth offensive lineman. I think Williams could fulfill much of the same blocking function but as a "TE" (who is the size of a tackle). But, if TB sees that he is left open, Williams is a reliable pass catcher who doesn't wilt under pressure.

His limitation is that he is not quick, and he is not fast, so expecting him to get separation as a primary target would be a disaster. But, as a "TE" effectively functioning as a lineman, who TB could target if he catches him left alone, knowing he has good hands? He seems to fit that type of "out of the box" player that BB likes. Plus, clearly BB likes extremely intelligent (coach on the field types), versatile, somewhat athletically limited players (Wilson, 2nd round, 2012; Harmon, 3rd round, 2013, Jordan Richards, 2nd round, 2015). Admittedly those are all safeties, but I thought Williams might find a home here and add to his list of Championships. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back