PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fellow Patriot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great...now this "prof" is gonna flunk every kid in the class wearing a Pats hat. I had a professor of chemistry my freshman year at B.U. He was from Texas, and a total yee haw redneck. 412 students in the class and he flunked every freshman...390 if I remember correctly. The final exam he gave was easily a six hour, in depth exam...time limit? two hours. There were twelve suicides immediately following the posted grades....2 from the 7th floor of my West Campus dorm. I went to my R.A. to get an explanation for my D and he told me the Professor gave strict instructions...no scale. I finished 3/4's of the exam without a mistake... D...the highest mark in the class anybody got.In fact, more than 3/4's were F's. So I'm a little pizzed off, as anyone who's been a member here can imagine. I go straight to his office down in Kenmore, storm into his office and his elderly grandma, grey haired secretary says to me..."well, I've been expecting some of you, you're the first one.." with this grandmotherly smile on her face. WTF???? So I try to be as polite as possible, because believe me, I WANT this azzole and she hits me with the hammer.."oh, professor left for a tenureship at U.T. 2 weeks ago...sorry...he won't be back"....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

That was 1970. Long hair, bell bottoms, free love,Yippies, hippies and open drug use. Professor was a cowboy hat wearing John Wayne wannabe with the guts of a Texas tick.I learned one thing from that year...those that CAN...DO...those that can't..become professors.

3/4ths of the exam is 75% which yields a grade of 75, a C.
I think you must have flunked math. :p

That's not even taking into account the single season passing records, the fact that Brady's was the league's first unanimous MVP in the same season the team traded his #1 WR, and the TD streak.

Oh, I forgot about the attempts without a pick record, too.

3/4ths of the exam is 75% which yields a grade of 75, a C.
I think you must have flunked math. :p

the test was weighted. I argued that point with the R.A. assigned to my lab group. The "prof" set it up that way to insure everyone flunked. To illustrate, that same semester I graded an A in Calculus and a B+ in engineering physics. Chemistry was just an elective I picked to fill out my science requirement. The course wasn't hard, the professor was a bigoted POS. The first half of the test was multiple choice, something like 500 questions. The second half was problems. Most of my classmates didn't even get through half the multiple choices in two hours.

The satisfaction I derive today is that this old goat is probably worm food....and yes, I carry a grudge. I'm half Irish, half Italian...the most stubborn, vindictive mixed breed there is.

I would focus on five points plus a thermonuclear option.

1. The winning playoff record by Brady, and the choking by Manning. BUT... he will come back at you with Spygate. What most regular fans don't know about Spygate is that the Patriots hadn't played the Eagles or the Panthers that season so the Patriots did not have videotape on those teams when they beat them.

2. Brady has a better QB rating both indoors and outdoors. He's better than Manning outdoors, better than Manning in domes, even though Manning has a higher overall rating. This is because Manning has a lot more games in domes, and ratings are much higher in domes for all QBs.

3. If he brings up that Brady padded his stats in 2007 by staying in games too long, then mention that Brady threw his 50th TD in less time played through the season than Manning threw his 49th TD in his record year. Brady actually surpassed Manning in time played during their record years at some point in the 4th quarter, after he had already thrown his 50th TD. This means Brady was pulled from games quicker than Manning was in those respective years.

4. If someone mentions Brady only won with defense, point out that the Panthers scored 29 points in 31 minutes of that Super Bowl, that the defense was a sieve, and that Brady had to put up a top 5 performance yardage wise to lead his team to victory. Not to mention the fact that Manning had receivers like Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark, while Brady was working with Deion Branch, David Givens and Daniel Graham. Manning was supported with great offensive weapons catching the ball. Brady had good weapons.

5. If he says the Patriots played great when Brady got hurt while the colts went into the tank, point out these 3 things. One, the Patriots went from 18 wins with Brady against a schedule with 13 games against playoff teams, while with Cassel they fell to 11 wins (7 less) against a very weak schedule. Cassel, meanwhile, had even better stats two years later with the Chiefs and made the Pro Bowl. The Colts QB after Manning, Painter, was a scrub never to be heard from again. In fact, when they sat Painter for journeyman Orlovsky, he lead them to two victories. They tanked the year with Painter. And the next year a rookie QB lead them to the playoffs. This argument about the dropoff in level of play neglects the fact that there was a huge dropoff in the Patriots level of play, and it also disregards the level of play given to their teams by Cassel, Orlovsky, Painter and Luck.

If all else fails, the thermonuclear option. There are no records or allegations of Brady ever sexually molesting a woman. Manning, however, paid off a trainer for sitting with his anus and scrotum pressed against her face.

Personally, the moment Spygate is brought up as a reason for Brady's success is the moment that the opposition loses all credibility in my eyes. But I digress.

the test was weighted. I argued that point with the R.A. assigned to my lab group. The "prof" set it up that way to insure everyone flunked. To illustrate, that same semester I graded an A in Calculus and a B+ in engineering physics. Chemistry was just an elective I picked to fill out my science requirement. The course wasn't hard, the professor was a bigoted POS. The first half of the test was multiple choice, something like 500 questions. The second half was problems. Most of my classmates didn't even get through half the multiple choices in two hours.

The satisfaction I derive today is that this old goat is probably worm food....and yes, I carry a grudge. I'm half Irish, half Italian...the most stubborn, vindictive mixed breed there is.

You got it backwards my man instead of holding a grudge you should recognize your supreme being for having actually passed this thing.

Brady is GQ cover-worthy and married to a super model. Peyton is a goober hillbilly with a Frankenstein forehead big enough to screen a drive-in movie. He also played most of his career in an indoor roller-rink while Brady led his team to championships in the snow-swept northern tundra. One ring (in a longer career) vs. three. Case closed.

All true. But there's an interesting dichotomy in the career paths of the two players.

While Brady is the far more glamorous figure off the field, it is Manning who was born to football royalty. Manning's college team built their entire offense around him - he was the focal point. As the #1 pick in the draft, Manning was handed the starting job and allowed the time he needed to develop.

On the other hand, Brady's progress was significantly ******ed by the ineptitude of the Michigan coaching staff who clearly had no idea about the the extent young QB's talent and will to win. Even with Bill Belichick as coach, it is pretty difficult for a 6th round pick to see the light of day. Brady's competition was an entrenched starter who had turned his franchise around. Brady was forced to earn his stripes and produce on the field at a very high level right away.

In short, Manning has had every conceivable advantage (bloodlines, college support, team situation) along the way while Brady has had to overcome a series of very challenging obstacles to earn his place in the game. That makes Brady's superior accomplishments all the more impressive.

Check all his playoff losses. Other than the 41-0 loss to the jets , his defense has almost always kept them in the game.Only he could score nothing...20-3, 3! pts vs a secondary of earthwind moreland and hank poteat.

I'm half Irish, half Italian...the most stubborn, vindictive mixed breed there is.

Aw hell, you're a ****ycat. Full Irish tops that. I know. (I'm engaged to one.)

Your prof will likely bring up that manning is going to break brady's TD record this year.

While there's likely a good chance, keep these things in mind:

--through 8 games, Brady (2007) and Manning (2013) had both thrown 30 TD's apiece

--currently through 9 games, Brady (2007) and Manning (2013) had both thrown 33 TD's apiece

I think there's a good chance that Manning breaks the record, but it's far from written in stone. They are neck in neck through the first 1/2 of their seasons, and also through the first 9 games too.

This thread has a ton of great information for the OP. I hope he is taking notes, because all of the info written in a proper manner would make it an open and shut case.

Aw hell, you're a ****ycat. Full Irish tops that. I know. (I'm engaged to one.)

From personal experience I know this to be true...my mom, who is Italian, met my father , a full blooded Irishman at a Biltmore Hotel dance in the 40's. They fell in love. Mom introduced him to Granma, who came over on the boat from the Boot in the 20's. She loved him like a son. He loved to eat, she loved to cook...and made everything from scratch for the entire family every weekend. He was like a second son.

Dad introduced my mother to HIS family at a Sunday dinner at Granpa's house in South Providence. My aunt Dorothy, upon introductions, swung at my mom and knocked her senseless, then proceeded to scream a string of profanities for daring to bring a wop home for Sunday dinner. So, yes...I'd say you're probably right ,Tunes. Of course , auntie Dot was my favorite aunt and doted on me from early childhood. My uncle Johnny, older brother of my father, tried to steal Mom away from him a number of times...from a young age, every time I saw uncle Johnny he always told me he hated me. He called me a punk when I was six. He also lived with my aunt Dot until he was 91, never marrying. To paint a small window into life in this Irish family...at Thanksgiving, aunt Dot would make a huge turkey with all the trimmings...I would go to her house with Dad, Mom stayed with the Italian side of the family for the day...I'd sit down at the table with the others ,Uncle Jimmy,auntie Maddie,cousins Kenny, Jimmy and Walter and my brother Bob...Uncle Johnny would sit in the parlor and eat alone as aunt Dot piled my plate high and mutter under his breath. I mean, it was the whole world, love/hate, smothered in affection while being openly detested for even drawing breath. The good ol' days. Heh....Ma is 92 this year, aunt Dot has been gone for a decade but Ma still tells me every holiday "we're not going over there for Thanksgiving and that's final.."

and yet, I look back and say..those were the best days of my life...and even if Freud didn't say that the Irish are impervious to psychoanalysis, he should have...:crazy:

I'd drop the class to be honest

From personal experience I know this to be true...my mom, who is Italian, met my father , a full blooded Irishman at a Biltmore Hotel dance in the 40's. They fell in love. Mom introduced him to Granma, who came over on the boat from the Boot in the 20's. She loved him like a son. He loved to eat, she loved to cook...and made everything from scratch for the entire family every weekend. He was like a second son.

Dad introduced my mother to HIS family at a Sunday dinner at Granpa's house in South Providence. My aunt Dorothy, upon introductions, swung at my mom and knocked her senseless, then proceeded to scream a string of profanities for daring to bring a wop home for Sunday dinner. So, yes...I'd say you're probably right ,Tunes. Of course , auntie Dot was my favorite aunt and doted on me from early childhood. My uncle Johnny, older brother of my father, tried to steal Mom away from him a number of times...from a young age, every time I saw uncle Johnny he always told me he hated me. He called me a punk when I was six. He also lived with my aunt Dot until he was 91, never marrying. To paint a small window into life in this Irish family...at Thanksgiving, aunt Dot would make a huge turkey with all the trimmings...I would go to her house with Dad, Mom stayed with the Italian side of the family for the day...I'd sit down at the table with the others ,Uncle Jimmy,auntie Maddie,cousins Kenny, Jimmy and Walter and my brother Bob...Uncle Johnny would sit in the parlor and eat alone as aunt Dot piled my plate high and mutter under his breath. I mean, it was the whole world, love/hate, smothered in affection while being openly detested for even drawing breath. The good ol' days. Heh....Ma is 92 this year, aunt Dot has been gone for a decade but Ma still tells me every holiday "we're not going over there for Thanksgiving and that's final.."

and yet, I look back and say..those were the best days of my life...and even if Freud didn't say that the Irish are impervious to psychoanalysis, he should have...:crazy:

On a side note, why are Italians attracted to micks so much? The Soprano's, if I remember correctly, also made a joke about that (something about light skin and freckles being irresistible to Tony). 3/4's of my ex-girlfriends have been Italian... and most of them have been nuts.

Check all his playoff losses. Other than the 41-0 loss to the jets , his defense has almost always kept them in the game.Only he could score nothing...20-3, 3! pts vs a secondary of earthwind moreland and hank poteat.

I was thinking the same thing. If the "Manning never had a decent defense" narrative was true, you'd expect to see a lot of 38-35, 49-42 playoff results where you could say the Colts offense did their job. Instead, the Colts defense was, with some exceptions, pretty solid in the playoffs.

Another argument I've heard in defense of Manning in the last couple of years is that he never had that much help on OFFENSE compared to other QBs. This flies in the face of facts and reality, but Manning defenders have started using it.

Well guys I managed to convince the class who the better QB was and even showed the Brady 6. My professor obviously will always see Manning as the best, but he learned to respect and admire Brady by seeing how much he's done with none of it given to him on a silver platter like Manning was. My ace in the hole was the playoffs that was the decisive factor. I was pretty annoyed however that a lot of my classmates saw Brady as a "crybaby, whiner, and a *******" it's a given though since the majority of them are 49er fans or Raiders. Thanks to all for your replies it really helped

I was pretty annoyed however that a lot of my classmates saw Brady as a "crybaby, whiner, and a *******" it's a given though since the majority of them are 49er fans or Raiders. Thanks to all for your replies it really helped

The high majority of fans across the NFL see Brady as a "crybaby, whiner" etc. That's just the way that it is.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that the NFL made a special rule just for him, when in all reality it is called the Carson Palmer rule and was first introduced by the rules committee after the 2005 season when the Steelers went low at Palmer's knee in the playoffs, and took him out on their way to winning the Super Bowl.

Another is that Brady gets a lot of roughing the passer penalties, when the stats have shown that he's normally at the bottom 1/3rd (or more) of the list just about every single year.

Of course he is fiery, and running after the officials to yell "that's freaking bull*****" at the end of the game on Monday makes some feel that he is just a whining crybaby. The reality is that there probably hasn't been another QB to continuously play through so many significant injuries every single season without the public even hearing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News