PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fellow Patriot Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guts

Akatsuki
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I'm in a speech class in San Jose State and my professor is a huge huge Peyton Manning fan like the guy adores him, with that being said he is someone who will listen and debate with you for fun and is not close minded even with all his Manning love-fest. He has proposed us a deal were if someone can convince him and the class that there is a QB greater then him currently he will give us a open note midterm. I have my QB Tom Brady obviously and want to ask all of you how I can get it through his head that he is better then PM. I have a lot of rebuttals, but I think I'll have a problem if he mentions Patriots defense vs Colts defense and that Manning never had the luxury of having Bill Belichick as his head coach. So any info on this everlasting debate for Brady's favor would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the cluttered post I'm on my phone ha.

Patriots spent more on defense than the Colts. thus, one would have to conclude that the defense should be better. you should get salary cap figures to make sure it "proves" out to be true.

If the Patriots spent 48% on Offense and 52% on defense and the Colts spent 56% on offense and 44% on defense, then you would expect PM/offense to be (with simple math) 8% better than the Patriots were on offense.

You can look at old posts, but there were people that broke down TBs records indoors vs outdoors (based on passer rating) that proved TB had better averages than PM. PM was ahead because he played a proportionally larger number of his games in a controlled environment. Not his fault, but still can be reflected by stats.

Though, you can always go for the coup de gras and mention playoff records.

Let's see. Brady has the advantage in:

• Indoor QB rating (so Brady is better on the road than Manning was at home) - Manning has Brady by 1 point overall (because he has played 99 more games in a dome) and .1 outdoors (because he played most of his outdoor games in warm weather).
  • Brady has played his entire career outdoors in the Northeast; up until last year, Manning played a bare minimum of nine games a year in a dome.
  • Manning has had continuity of talented receivers, including several Hall of Famers; Brady has had a constantly changing cast of receivers.
  • Head-to-head record
  • Career winning %, by a lot
  • Career playoff winning %, not even close
  • TD-to-int %, not even close
  • Super Bowls played and won, not even close

its not like Dungy is a slouch either:

10 straight post season births as a head coach

learned under a hall of fame coach - Chuck Noll

also coached a top rank defense at minesota

father of the famed ...Tampa 2 which he also brought to Indy

so ....he cant use the fact that Dungy was a dummy...he was a good coach. Its just that it took time to fix there defense to fit his tampa 2. there offense at Indy was always good and more potent that ours. Its just that our defense nullied there offense and we scored enought win.

10 straight post season births as a head coach

One-Brand-New-camouflage-Cloth-font-b-Arrow-b-font-font-b-Quiver-b-font-With.jpg

;)

Just show him playoff TD to INT ratio of player A and player B and let him decide.

Just show him playoff TD to INT ratio of player A and player B and let him decide.

Or show him Manning's God-awful stats during the one year his D carried him to a Super Bowl win.

Brady is GQ cover-worthy and married to a super model. Peyton is a goober hillbilly with a Frankenstein forehead big enough to screen a drive-in movie. He also played most of his career in an indoor roller-rink while Brady led his team to championships in the snow-swept northern tundra. One ring (in a longer career) vs. three. Case closed.

Could mention that Indy got rid of Peyton and didn't get any form immediate compensation (probably got a high compulsory pick for loss of a free agent).

You could also point out that the league moved Indianapolis out of the cold and into the warm weather, because apparently Indianapolis is more south than Miami, and who would want two teams from the same state in a division? Other than the AFC West and AFC North, that is.

9-11 overall playoff record, 8 one-and-dones, 5 of those at home as the higher seed.

GOAT? I don't think so.

Also, don't forget how much playing indoors matters to Manning. Here's a comparison of Manning and Brady indoors. Pretty much a wash:

'Inside' story on Brady's play - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Of course, Manning had played 251 games indoors compared to 37 for Brady.

Also:

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Manning's winning percentage outdoors drops each month -- .700 in September, .680 in October, .655 in November and .565 in December/January

As the games get more important and the weather gets colder, Manning gets worse and worse.

Sure, Manning has won a Super Bowl, but the Colts won almost in spite of him. He threw only 3 TDs vs 7 INTs in those 4 play-off games.

Manning is the GOAT fantasy football QB. But in games that matter, he has no place at the table, let alone at the head.

My wife got me a book for Xmas last year called "Tom Brady vs the NFL--the case for football's greatest QB." Each chapter states why Brady is better than whatever QB they are comparing him to.

It lists a chapter by chapter breakdown of Brady vs all other QB's. In other words, one chapter is Brady vs. Elway, another chapter is Brady vs. Favre, etc, etc, etc.

There is obviously a chapter in there titled "Brady vs Manning," so if you can get your hands on the book in any way it may be quite helpful to you. Hell, it may be your best weapon.

Tom Brady vs. the NFL: The Case for Football's Greatest Quarterback: Sean Glennon, Pat Kirwan: 9781600786365: Amazon.com: Books

Brady vs manning in a week right? Let that game decide it.

Brady vs manning in a week right? Let that game decide it.

That may be a very risky proposition, choosing to put all of one's eggs in one basket.

DEN may very well win next week's game, but it doesn't make Manning "better" career-wise vs Brady. I think there are a lot of better ways to go about it myself. Hell, there have been books written on the topic. :)

That may be a very risky proposition, choosing to put all of one's eggs in one basket.

DEN may very well win next week's game, but it doesn't make Manning "better" career-wise vs Brady. I think there are a lot of better ways to go about it myself. Hell, there have been books written on the topic. :)

I only propose this because he will never convince the prof that there's a better QB. It's just part of being a fan. At least this way, he has a 50% chance.

I would just compile a half hours worth of Skip Bayless rants. If that doesn't convince him it will at least beat him into submission.

Drop the class. Your professor is an obvious moron.

Drop the class. Your professor is an obvious moron.

That's a great point. I'd bring this up to the department head. Could be grounds for denying the blockhead tenure.

I seriously hope that wasn't too blunt for the easily offended sensibilities of Supafly. That is just my sarcastic opinion of this professor. I do not know how to phrase it any other P.C. ,unicorns and rabbits way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes