PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Everything To Prove: WR Kenbrell Thompkins

"Only reason why Thompkins is looking like the best rookie WR in training camp is because he is 25 years old and is more developed than the others."

"It's like an 8 year old being in 1st grade."

-felger and massarotti

Yep they actually compared it to an elementary school kid being held back so he ends up being the oldest kid in the class which means more developed than they other kids so in comparison that student is smarter.

Felger and Mazz are on one of their stupid rants today. They fall into these things every once and a while (more often then they used to) where they try to make a point by going overboard to the point of stupidity.

Felger and Mazz are on one of their stupid rants today. They fall into these things every once and a while (more often then they used to) where they try to make a point by going overboard to the point of stupidity.

The sad part is Beatle is the voice of reason, saying the UDFA might be good but it's WAY too early to make the determination, and that's not good enough for the other two. They have to take it to the extreme, because that's their shtick. Nothing to see here.

Ya it's almost as if they are upset that Brady isn't having trouble with all the new receivers so they can't get on their soapbox about letting Welker go, not having a private security firm watching Hernandez 24/7 and not being strict with Gronk on his rehab because he was drinking and partying and that's why he had an infection and had to get some cleanup surgery done on his back.

But because reporters have tweeted and reported about Amendola, Thompkins, Sudfield, Dobson and Boyce for the most part looking good at this early stage in training camp and fans have just echoed what the beat guys have said. They take it to the extreme and act like people think this is going to be the greatest offense ever when all the majority of Pats fans are doing is just having a little optimism.

Both of them went into a 4 hour rant last week over the Peavey trade. They were unlistenable. The globe and other outlets slammed them for it.

NFL.com's front page:

Will he be Bam Childress or Victor Cruz? We shall find out soon. :D

I still believe in Bam Childress.

I still think 'if only' when I think about Michael Bishop.

Nearly four months later, Thompkins has proved us plenty. From minicamp, to training camp, to the preseason, he's earned the starting job across from Amendola, over two fellow drafted rookies.

This is one of my favorite UDFA stories in a long time. Now it's time for KT to prove everyone wrong in the regular season. :rocker:

After tonight's game, I am convinced that Thompkins will be an NFL superstar within two years and is already the second best X receiver in the Brady era, behind Randy Moss.

He has an awesome burst off the line of scrimmage, is long and fluid with great control, and has some of the better hands we have seen in New England. Just one of these guys where his on-field performance is better than the measureables and combine times. But if Thompkins had been the #3 overall pick in the draft, would anyone think he didn't justify the pick with his obvious talent?

For some reason, I always think he is at least 6'4" despite that he is really 6'1". It is really strange that Brandon Lloyd was 6'0" but it seems like he was shriveled up and played small. Maybe Thompkins has longer arms or just better burst, because it sure seems like he has a catch radius ten times the size Lloyd's was.

I know it's preseason/training camp, but I also know what I see with my eyes. This guy is a stud.

It feels very satisfying to see a guy finally step in and fill the role of a quality rookie receiver. It really hasn't happened since 2002 with Branch.

Considering Amendola's injury problems, I am banking on KT being our leading receiver by the end of the season. Expecting to hear a lot of Brady to Thompkins this year.:rocker:

After tonight's game, I am convinced that Thompkins will be an NFL superstar within two years and is already the second best X receiver in the Brady era, behind Randy Moss.

He has an awesome burst off the line of scrimmage, is long and fluid with great control, and has some of the better hands we have seen in New England. Just one of these guys where his on-field performance is better than the measureables and combine times. But if Thompkins had been the #3 overall pick in the draft, would anyone think he didn't justify the pick with his obvious talent?

For some reason, I always think he is at least 6'4" despite that he is really 6'1". It is really strange that Brandon Lloyd was 6'0" but it seems like he was shriveled up and played small. Maybe Thompkins has longer arms or just better burst, because it sure seems like he has a catch radius ten times the size Lloyd's was.

I know it's preseason/training camp, but I also know what I see with my eyes. This guy is a stud.
My thoughts exactly.

As I said in the game-day thread, what was most impressive was his speed on the perimeter in isolation, not merely just his speed, but how he was torching 2 of the fastest corners in the NFL down the sidelines with relative ease. Both Darius Slay and Chris Houston are 4.3-40 guys and Thompkins was getting 1-2 yards of separation on them 25-35 yards downfield.

That's mind blowing for a guy many were calling a possession receiver because of a "pedestrian" 4.5-40 time (which is obviously misleading). Just imagine if Brandon Lloyd or Wes Welker tried to run those same routes. That is what this offense desperately needed - a wide-out who could win in those 1-on-1 deep perimeter situations. I know everyone expected Dobson to be the take top-off of the defense guy but with his struggles at getting off jams at LOS and getting consistent separation, he might not be the best bet for that role either.

Thompkins is even faster than Dobson is at getting downfield. It wouldn't shock at all if he quickly becomes the main deep threat too if he can continue to roast corners as speedy as Slay and Houston are.

For some reason, I always think he is at least 6'4" despite that he is really 6'1". It is really strange that Brandon Lloyd was 6'0" but it seems like he was shriveled up and played small.

As I said in the game-day thread, what was most impressive was his speed on the perimeter in isolation, not merely just his speed, but how he was torching 2 of the fastest corners in the NFL down the sidelines with relative ease. Both Darius Slay and Chris Houston are 4.3-40 guys and Thompkins was getting 1-2 yards of separation on them 25-35 yards downfield.

That's mind blowing for a guy many were calling a possession receiver because of a "pedestrian" 4.5-40 time (which is obviously misleading).

Is any position in football harder to project than NE WR? It wasn't only Thompkins' "character history" that left him undrafted; he just didn't look like a top-level prospect.

He's slow, but outruns everybody. He's skinny and weak, but beats the jam at the line. He played only 2 seasons of major college football, but looks like a savvy vet running routes.

Until you put the receiver on the field with Tom Brady, you just have no idea. But as soon as you do, you know. You knew with Welker. You knew with Moss. And this year -- crossing fingers -- you know with Thompkins and Amendola.

My thoughts exactly.

That's mind blowing for a guy many were calling a possession receiver because of a "pedestrian" 4.5-40 time (which is obviously misleading). Just imagine if Brandon Lloyd or Wes Welker tried to run those same routes. That is what this offense desperately needed - a wide-out who could win in those 1-on-1 deep perimeter situations. I know everyone expected Dobson to be the take top-off of the defense guy but with his struggles at getting off jams at LOS and getting consistent separation, he might not be the best bet for that role either.

Thompkins is even faster than Dobson is at getting downfield. It wouldn't shock at all if he quickly becomes the main deep threat too if he can continue to roast corners as speedy as Slay and Houston are.

What I saw was good moves at the LOS. This is where he gained a step, not by outrunning these guys.

Now it's time for KT to prove everyone wrong in the regular season. :rocker:

Indeed. It's not like he was perfect either: a 1st-quarter drop on 3rd down would've moved the chains.

So let's wait until the games actually matter before, as Bill Parcells would say...

Just one of these guys where his on-field performance is better than the measureables and combine times.
It needs to be pointed out that he had good combine times. Not crazy good but he ran a 4.46 forty and had a very good 6.88 three cone. Those aren't amazing numbers but they're very solid.

It needs to be pointed out that he had good combine times. Not crazy good but he ran a 4.46 forty and had a very good 6.88 three cone. Those aren't amazing numbers but they're very solid.
NFL.com says he ran a 4.54

More reliable than NFL.com?

People like to stamp a number on a guy's forehead but it just doesn't work like that. Arguing numbers is silly because players run different times in and out of uniform, on different days, different tracks, and different runs on the same day on the same track. A good way to judge speed is by watching games.

More reliable than NFL.com?
How the hell should I know ? I'm just saying they're reliable usually and that's what they had. I'm not going to argue about .08 seconds.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back