Welcome to PatsFans.com

Everything To Prove: WR Kenbrell Thompkins

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by manxman2601, Apr 28, 2013.

1. manxman2601

manxman2601 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

I posted the link to an article about one of our new WR UDFA's in the UDFA thread but I believe it deserves greater attention than it'll likely get there. It's an incredible story. Some highlights:

Read the whole thing, it's an incredible story of turning adversity on it's head. I so want this guy to succeed.

http://www.newsrecord.org/sports/article_32f369fa-974f-11e2-83c2-0019bb30f31a.html
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

Nice story may become my binkie this year.
  3. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

I really hate to do this, but 3.9 GPA when you've mugged through middle school--I'm sorry, but that's embarrassing for the university. You put yourself at such a deficit by doing that, and there is really no recovery unless you're a genius, which is possible. But...

Given the way universities run football programs, I reserve my right to be a huge doubter on that score.
  4. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -1

I doubt it equates to the 3.9s I got at each of my universities (both top-tier football schools, actually). And that's putting it mildly. But it speaks to general discipline, attentiveness, and so on.
  5. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +541 / 6 / -0

Yep -- I'm sure he wasn't busy acing differential equations and organic chemistry, but the fact remains that most of their football players don't pull grades near that. The kid was clearly putting in full effort on all fronts.
  6. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -1

Read his words above. He is sharp and determined. I'm not saying the curriculum was a beast but this guy did not sleep through class.
  7. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +120 / 7 / -0

#87 Jersey

Great story. Considering our putrid set of outside WRs (2 rookies, Donald Jones, Mike Jenkins, Andre Holmes, Kamar Aiken) he definitely has a shot.
  8. gobesmug

gobesmug Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It was a 3.9 GPA for the first quarter, when he only had to focus on school and working out. For the first quarter it was most likely Gen Ed classes, so the 3.9 GPA is not far fetched. But way to be a dick about a kid who overcame a troubled past.
  9. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

The comment about being stereotyped bothered me a little. When you've been arrested 7 times, even though none are in the last 5 years, people have the right to expect you to prove your worth and commitment. Nobody owes you anything. 8 chances is a lot. Let's hope he has permanently cut of the hangers-on friends who would love to drag him back down now that he will have money.

That being said, it's great to see that he has matured, overcome his lack of parenting and guidance as a kid, and found determination, focus, and a plan to overcome his super-troubled past.
  10. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 3 / -3

#12 Jersey

I second that. The bottom line is the kid turned his life around.. too few stories like that.
  11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You always root for people like this.

This young man sounds like he has generally turned his life around. I wish him all the best in the pursuit of his dreams.
  12. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

Horsepucky. I feel good for the kid. For actual achievements. I.e. football getting him off the streets. The rest of the stuff is likely phony.

You guys don't want to see how the sausage is made. People think U North Carolina is an anomaly. It's not. This stuff is phony from the get-go. Even the NCAA cowtows to this with its ridiculous APR stuff, and you're easily fooled.

You simply cannot catch-up on this stuff. It doesn't happen unless you're unbelievably gifted.
  13. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Get him an apartment in Foxboro and keep him away from some of his old"friends" and he has as good a chance as any of being this year's UDFA who makes the 53 or practice squad....
  14. manxman2601

manxman2601 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +380 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

15. fnordcircle

fnordcircle ( o Y o ) PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +175 / 5 / -12

Thank God you are to tell the rest of us, who are completely in the dark about how awful our school systems have become, what is really going on. And here I thought everything was hucky duck and America was A+ #1 in everything.

It was a close one, but thankfully you gave us the dose of cynicism we needed in this thread.

Please, whatever you do, make sure you always find a way to get on a high horse about any vaguely related topic in threads like this. God knows we have too much good news out there.
  16. Brady2Moss

Brady2Moss Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Rooting for this guy, he's got good size too!
  17. Brady2Moss

Brady2Moss Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow I'm sure the university was bending over backwards and risking sanctions to give a former drug dealer a near perfect GPA when the standard to be eligible is much lower because he was so important to their program at that point in time, like Peppers to UNC. :rolleyes:

He probably realized if I don't work hard at school with no football for the first quarter I'm going to F up, get arrested again, and be back on the streets.
  18. Avenger

Avenger Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

I barely passes high school, all my college classes have been As so far.
  19. Username

Username Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Maybe he's unbelievably gifted?
  20. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

I worked with a guy that was a living legend in his hometown, which was a real scary place. He all but made it as a pro-athlete before breaking his ankle in pre-season.....done. Turned to selling drugs, got caught. He selected the full term in the Fed. Pen.(7 years) versus some type of probation as he knew probation was a ticket back to his old neighborhood. An amazing story that will stay with me for the rest of my life.