PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Everything To Prove: WR Kenbrell Thompkins

BTW, speaking of straight-line speed: that great video of Thompkins freezing Houston is a perfect illustration of why 40 times are overrated relative to cone and shuttle times, even for wideouts.

Yep, while those combine drills can test for athletic ability they doesn't test for how that ability translates into football skills.

Not "Brandon Lloyd," I think. Lloyd had a way of being horizontal at the moment of the catch to preclude any possibility of YAC. Thompkins was catching the ball neatly in stride, turning up field, then choosing to avoid a big hit. I believe the technical term for that is "going all Marvin Harrison." :)

Harrison had more straight-line speed than Thompkins, but they have similar skinny builds (Harrison 6'0" 185, Thomkins 6'1" 193), and Harrison protected his body into a tremendous career. I'm fine with Thompkins protecting himself rather than fighting for every inch on some plays -- certainly in the preseason.

BTW, speaking of straight-line speed: that great video of Thompkins freezing Houston is a perfect illustration of why 40 times are overrated relative to cone and shuttle times, even for wideouts.

Its fine in preseason.... id like to see more effort at YAC in regular season though

he looks primed to be a nice breakout star and clearly has earned that x receiver spot. he just looks so much more polished than the other rookies out there and its clear brady has alot of confidence in throwing to him.

pretty impressive to think that 2 of our day 1 starters on offense should be undrafted rookies in sudfeld/thompkins....thats a testament to our scouting staff to find these underrated gems

Kenbrell is a bit older than the other WR rookies.

He's 25 so he's probably more mature and NFL-ready (at least in training camp)

Not "Brandon Lloyd," I think. Lloyd had a way of being horizontal at the moment of the catch to preclude any possibility of YAC. Thompkins was catching the ball neatly in stride, turning up field, then choosing to avoid a big hit. I believe the technical term for that is "going all Marvin Harrison." :)

Harrison had more straight-line speed than Thompkins, but they have similar skinny builds (Harrison 6'0" 185, Thomkins 6'1" 193), and Harrison protected his body into a tremendous career. I'm fine with Thompkins protecting himself rather than fighting for every inch on some plays -- certainly in the preseason.

His field awareness might be something that's worth keeping an eye on. There was that highlighted play where he just wandered out of bounds and there was the Mallett throw which he caught out of bounds. Probably two random events but it might be part of his game that he could work on.

His field awareness might be something that's worth keeping an eye on. There was that highlighted play where he just wandered out of bounds and there was the Mallett throw which he caught out of bounds. Probably two random events but it might be part of his game that he could work on.

I'm sure BB will rip him about that in film study.

If you're talking about that Mallett throw to the left sideline, from the video angle that I saw, a receiver would need to have been about 8' tall to haul that one in while staying in bounds.

I've heard this suggested before, that Thompkins' sucess is a factor of his age. But I just can't imagine that extra years spent bouncing around prison and community college and just 2 years in Division 1A make a player "more NFL-ready" than a 5-year (with redshirt) stint in a major college program.

Surely a 23-year-old who spent the last 5 years training under Nick Saban has a far, far greater advantage, no? Otherwise wouldn't we advise young players to kill a couple of years outside of school to give themselves the advantage of age?

If you're talking about that Mallett throw to the left sideline, from the video angle that I saw, a receiver would need to have been about 8' tall to haul that one in while staying in bounds.

But he didn't appear to make any attempt to appreciate where the sideline was. Just tried to catch the ball; although bear in mind that that's my impression from watching it live as I've yet to re-watch it.

But he didn't appear to make any attempt to appreciate where the sideline was. Just tried to catch the ball; although bear in mind that that's my impression from watching it live as I've yet to re-watch it.

You could be right.

I've heard this suggested before, that Thompkins' sucess is a factor of his age. But I just can't imagine that extra years spent bouncing around prison and community college and just 2 years in Division 1A make a player "more NFL-ready" than a 5-year (with redshirt) stint in a major college program.

Surely a 23-year-old who spent the last 5 years training under Nick Saban has a far, far greater advantage, no? Otherwise wouldn't we advise young players to kill a couple of years outside of school to give themselves the advantage of age?

No! Just no!

Would on the Bengals :)

25 year old is more mentally/emotionally mature than a 22-23 year old.

25 year old UDFA is a better listener, and probably has less ego than a 22-23 year old.

That's all.

I think that works out well for the Patriots. We really needed a 'step-in' player at WR and Thompkins appears to fit the bill.

Another older 'mature' guy we brought in is Sebastian Vollmer. He worked out quite well for us as well. I think he was either 24 or 25 when we drafted him.

The beauty of Thompkins is not only does he look ready to step into a starting role in his rookie season, but we got him as a UDFA! That is a HUGE bargain! That's almost like BB and the Patriots scouts creating a football asset out of thin air, LOL.

The moves that Thompkins shows off in the Lions game. Wow, so that is what a polished route runner looks like!

Should I pick him up off waivers in my FF leagues...that's the real question

I'm a little surprised KB isn't getting more pub.

My god....that release of the line of scrimmage.

I have very high hopes for him.

I'm a little surprised KB isn't getting more pub.

My god....that release of the line of scrimmage.

I have very high hopes for him.

A Patriots UDRFA getting more publicity or media coverage?

tumblr_lsr60viFnn1qebf9ko1_500.gif

Maybe if he was on the Broncos.

Thompkins is now starting for my fantasy team, along with Jordy Nelson and Vincent Jackson. When Josh Gordon's suspension is up, he'll be the flex.

Thompkins is now starting for my fantasy team, along with Jordy Nelson and Vincent Jackson. When Josh Gordon's suspension is up, he'll be the flex.

what round did you take him? i want him..but not sure when it's early. I think he can be a solid #3 wr

what round did you take him? i want him..but not sure when it's early. I think he can be a solid #3 wr

I took him in the fifth, and still thought it was a reach. But everyone in the chat in my league said it was a good pick.

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Arian Foster
RB: Stevan Ridley
WR: Vincent Jackson
WR: Jordy Nelson
WR: Kenbrell Thompkins
TE: Tony Gonzalez
Flex: Zach Sudfeld (until Gordon serves his suspension)
K: Mason Crosby
DST: Rams

I took him in the fifth, and still thought it was a reach. But everyone in the chat in my league said it was a good pick.

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Arian Foster
RB: Stevan Ridley
WR: Vincent Jackson
WR: Jordy Nelson
WR: Kenbrell Thompkins
TE: Tony Gonzalez
Flex: Zach Sudfeld (until Gordon serves his suspension)
K: Mason Crosby
DST: Rams

i am thinking 6th..my draft is at 7..aka 5 min

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference