PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Everything To Prove: WR Kenbrell Thompkins

How the hell should I know ? I'm just saying they're reliable usually and that's what they had. I'm not going to argue about .08 seconds.
I wasn't arguing, I was really asking because I didn't know :singing:

It feels very satisfying to see a guy finally step in and fill the role of a quality rookie receiver. It really hasn't happened since 2002 with Branch.

Considering Amendola's injury problems, I am banking on KT being our leading receiver by the end of the season. Expecting to hear a lot of Brady to Thompkins this year.:rocker:

He looks good. He has the speed and the hands and with Brady throwing him the ball I'm projecting 70 receptions, 1,100 yards and 8-9 tds.

Jerry Rice ran a 4.71 40. Separation is what matters and I've seen this kid fight and get good separation.

I am a avid Pats Fan and reader of this forum, but I rarely post because I've never played or coached football, and I figure that it is "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt".

And here I was, thinking I was in the running for the title of "Least posts per year, career."

Fourteen posts since 2007? Two posts per year? .0055 posts per day?

Those numbers are absolutely Ruthian, my friend. Keep non-posting! :rocker:

he looks primed to be a nice breakout star and clearly has earned that x receiver spot. he just looks so much more polished than the other rookies out there and its clear brady has alot of confidence in throwing to him.

pretty impressive to think that 2 of our day 1 starters on offense should be undrafted rookies in sudfeld/thompkins....thats a testament to our scouting staff to find these underrated gems

Guess won't be able to have him as a sleeper pick in fantasy now.:mad:

If anyone can make or finds a gif of that shot of Thompkins beating Chris Houston off the line, please share immediately :)

What I saw was good moves at the LOS. This is where he gained a step, not by outrunning these guys.
Indeed that was part of it too but it doesn't tell the whole story. KT isn't faster than Slay or Houston (not many receivers are) and I never said he was but he was gaining a lot separation on them. That alone should tell you something about his ability to be a deep threat.

the only thing i wish he would change is he needs to leave space between him and the sidelines like that big catch in the first..that should have been a TD just bad angles that's all

the only thing i wish he would change is he needs to leave space between him and the sidelines like that big catch in the first..that should have been a TD just bad angles that's all

Yup - but those are the things that can be taught - and I have to think he can learn that through experience.

I've gotta say, my track record on picking UFDAs over the years has been pretty good... I had Thompkins a guy to watch/one of my UFDA binkies pretty much the day he was signed... though in this case I think I had a bit of company.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...add-16-undrafted-free-agents.html#post3442525

If anyone can make or finds a gif of that shot of Thompkins beating Chris Houston off the line, please share immediately :)

been looking for it myself, what a move, how did this guy go undrafted

I tried to but GIFSoup went full ****** with both my company's web browser and my iPhone (kept resetting the end time to 3 minutes for no fathomable reason whatsoever).

Here's the vid: Kenbrell Thompkins highlights vs Lions (2013 Preseason) - YouTube, if someone wants to make the GIF.

The time slot is 1:04 - 1:11. In my company's web browser, it kept telling me that the time limit is 10 seconds. :mad::rolleyes::doh::steamed::puke:

I tried to but GIFSoup went full ****** with both my company's web browser and my iPhone (kept resetting the end time to 3 minutes for no fathomable reason whatsoever).

Here's the vid: Kenbrell Thompkins highlights vs Lions (2013 Preseason) - YouTube

The time slot is 1:04 - 1:11. In my company's web browser, it kept telling me that the time limit is 10 seconds. :mad::rolleyes::doh::steamed::puke:

Great video. He needs to learn to fight for those extra yards but, otherwise, he is very exciting....what I hoped Ocho and Lloyd would look like (so far). Now excuse me while I look for some tissues after watching him break Houston's ankles again.

Here's the vid: Kenbrell Thompkins highlights vs Lions (2013 Preseason) - YouTube, if someone wants to make the GIF.

I was simultaneously impressed with how well he got off the line and disappointed that he didn't stay in bounds.

I was simultaneously impressed with how well he got off the line and disappointed that he didn't stay in bounds.

I am no expert but I would think getting off the line is the 1st component of being a successful wide receiver ... he can do it ... hopefully he can keep doing it after they study film on him.

Was probably told to get out of bounds just to stop the tide of fumbles :)

It was a little disappointing to see - there were a couple of moments where he went all Brandon Lloyd, thankfully not to epidemic levels though.

KT is the WR we have been looking for people..

Seinfeld-Laughing-with-Cigar.gif

Thompkins has been great so far and hope he continues to improve. But I would like to see more from Dobson.

Was probably told to get out of bounds just to stop the tide of fumbles :)

It was a little disappointing to see - there were a couple of moments where he went all Brandon Lloyd, thankfully not to epidemic levels though.

Not "Brandon Lloyd," I think. Lloyd had a way of being horizontal at the moment of the catch to preclude any possibility of YAC. Thompkins was catching the ball neatly in stride, turning up field, then choosing to avoid a big hit. I believe the technical term for that is "going all Marvin Harrison." :)

Harrison had more straight-line speed than Thompkins, but they have similar skinny builds (Harrison 6'0" 185, Thomkins 6'1" 193), and Harrison protected his body into a tremendous career. I'm fine with Thompkins protecting himself rather than fighting for every inch on some plays -- certainly in the preseason.

BTW, speaking of straight-line speed: that great video of Thompkins freezing Houston is a perfect illustration of why 40 times are overrated relative to cone and shuttle times, even for wideouts.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back