PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Everything To Prove: WR Kenbrell Thompkins

Re: Interesting Notes on WR Kenbrell Thompkins

Watching his highlights, the one player he reminds me of is Chad Johnson. Same body type, same ability to get open. Hopefully he learns the playbook better than Chad "Ochostinko" Johnson did.

Watching his highlights, the one player he reminds me of is Chad Johnson. Same body type, same ability to get open. Hopefully he learns the playbook better than Chad "Ochostinko" Johnson did.

Yes, he is a very good athlete and resembles a young Chad Johnson very much. I've heard the most out of him, in terms of productivity and effort during this offseason then any other player on the team, not named Danny Amendola or Ras-I Dowling.

Check out this interview on the provided link, love this kids attitude and determination to succeed. I'm rooting for him to be in are line up and contribute.

UC Football: Kenbrell Thompkins Meets Media at Combine - YouTube

University of Cincinnati has always seemed to be very productive in terms of NFL players.

The thing to note is that Thompkins is a bit of an older player at age 24. Perhaps this means he will turn out more mature and ready to play. That also kind of limits his upside though imo. He needs to get good quick or he will already be a free agent by the time he's ready to contribute. Hoping he turns into a feel good story instead of an AH type of story.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/kenbrell-thompkins?id=2539214

I know Reiss isn't the best for analysis and more of a reporter, but he, along with others, continues to hype this kid up. Very interested to watch him at camp. I'll be pissed if he sucks. :D

Bold predictions for training camp - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Kenbrell Thompkins will earn a roster spot at receiver
The Patriots drafted high-upside receivers in Aaron Dobson (second round) and Josh Boyce (fourth round), and both are locks to make the final roster. But they aren’t the only rookies on the radar as Thompkins, an older-than-the-norm rookie (he turns 25 on July 29), built some positive momentum in spring camps to put himself in good position at this juncture. Now he’ll have to prove that he can do it when the pads come on. Thompkins has good size (6-1, 195) and looks to be more of a physical, intermediate, possession-type target, maybe with some similarities to a David Givens-type player. His style of play and mental aptitude to grasp concepts in the team’s system might turn out to be a nice complement with the possibility of Dobson working the opposite side with Amendola locked in the slot in the three-receiver set. -- Mike Reiss

He goes as far to suggest he'll be our #3 WR.

I really hope Thompkins makes the 53 man roster, or at least the Practice Squad. With the big turnover at WR, the door is wide open. He can be another David Givens (who even knew his name when the Pats drafted him) or another Chad Jackson. Based on his life history, it would be a real feel good story and the Pats need something like that right now.

Where are the morality-play mediot heroes, to criticize the Pats for bringing in a former gangsta and hoodlum? :rolleyes:

Reiss and Yates both have Thompkins on the 53 man squad in place of Jenkins.

BTW, note that in comments in a previous post, Reiss expects our top 3 to be Amendola, Dobson and Thompkins. As most non-posters, Reiss seems to have Edelman as our emergency, active, receiver, and Boyce as our inactive WR.

There is absolutely no possible effing way you can spend middle school on the streets and high school getting expelled left and right, arrested, not going to school, and somehow still land in college with the skills you need to succeed--unless you're Einstein.

He's not the only one. Yes, colleges are fond of faking it. Risk sanctions? UNC? What sanctions? UNC isn't the only one.

Good for him on football, but don't go blowing smoke about the rest.

Einstein was a thief, a liar and a plagiarist...

Reiss stands by his projected 3 WR set.

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 8m
@Mchuza18 Jeff, biggest takeaway to me is that they r giving rookies a chance. Think it would be DA, Dobson & Kenbrell Thompkins.

BTW, note that in comments in a previous post, Reiss expects our top 3 to be Amendola, Dobson and Thompkins. As most non-posters, Reiss seems to have Edelman as our emergency, active, receiver, and Boyce as our inactive WR.

I'll be shocked if Boyce is inactive.

I really hope Thompkins makes the 53 man roster, or at least the Practice Squad. With the big turnover at WR, the door is wide open. He can be another David Givens (who even knew his name when the Pats drafted him) or another Chad Jackson. Based on his life history, it would be a real feel good story and the Pats need something like that right now.

I would say, Thompkins has already surpassed Jackson if he's learned the playbook. Also it seems he has surpassed him in acting mature as well.

I'll be shocked if Boyce is inactive.

Yeah, especially since he can help in the return game as well. Boyce is gonna be a good one. I just have a feeling.

Edelman and Boyce as our inactive and emergency when we'll probably use multiple spread receiver sets? I like Reiss but WTF?

And I love Kenbrell Thompkins, think he will give is a threat downfield as well. Skillset reminiscent of that of a young Chad Johnson without the bravado.

Edelman and Boyce as our inactive and emergency when we'll probably use multiple spread receiver sets? I like Reiss but WTF?

It is not that unrealistic although I think with a few wildcards they may activate all of them - injuries will have a lot to do with it.

DA, Dobson, Thompkins, JE and Slater could be your actives. If they carry 4 TEs which is very likely and 2 of them are Gronk and Sudfield (who should be out there a lot), that is probably fine.

Gronk is pretty much a receiver and Sudfield seems like he could be the "move" guy. They wont need to activate 6 WRs. Especially with Vareen

It is not that unrealistic although I think with a few wildcards they may activate all of them - injuries will have a lot to do with it.

DA, Dobson, Thompkins, JE and Slater could be your actives. If they carry 4 TEs which is very likely and 2 of them are Gronk and Sudfield (who should be out there a lot), that is probably fine.

Gronk is pretty much a receiver and Sudfield seems like he could be the "move" guy. They wont need to activate 6 WRs. Especially with Vareen

Yeah I didn't realize that, but gotcha, thanks :rocker:

Yeah, especially since he can help in the return game as well. Boyce is gonna be a good one. I just have a feeling.

I hope that feeling is right...would love to see him and dobson have a good first year which is tough for rookie WRs as we all know

You always root for people like this.

This young man sounds like he has generally turned his life around. I wish him all the best in the pursuit of his dreams.

I share your sentiments. I hope the kid not only makes it onto the roster, but also becomes a damn fine WR for the team. It's a nice story and it makes a timely antidote, to help erase the memories of the scumbag who tainted the No. 81 jersey.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back