PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Everything To Prove: WR Kenbrell Thompkins

Per Reiss: Momentum Builders In Offseason Camps (June, 13, 2013,4:20PM EST)

"Wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins
He may not be familiar to all Patriots fans, but Thompkins has caught the eye of those in attendance at offseason workouts, often aligning alongside veteran wide receivers in the offensive formation. Thompkins might not have a particular trait that stands out (he has good size, speed and quickness, but nothing overly flashy), but he’s continued to catch most balls thrown him way and made catches in competitive catch situations. Most of all, he’s been consistent during the time that we’ve seen him work. Coaches look for reliability at the receiver position, and Thompkins appears to be the same guy each time he takes the field. He’s an early (perhaps too early) candidate for an undrafted rookie that could stick around on the active roster."

Nice to hear...would obviously like to see Dobson and Boyce on the list, but they've been nursing some injuries the last few sessions. Good to see MAYBE Thompkins could step in and give us another youngster to develop.

Interesting scenario: what happens if Dobson and Boyce end up buried behind the apparently hardworking cast of Aiken, Thompson, and Hawkins?

Interesting scenario: what happens if Dobson and Boyce end up buried behind the apparently hardworking cast of Aiken, Thompson, and Hawkins?

It'll only strengthen the beliefs that BB really cant draft wide receivers.

I like this kid, hard working, high character guy. Personally I don't care if they're undrafted, drafted 1st, drafted 7th, journeyman, free agent, whatever... if they earn a spot and produce I'm happy.

As far as peoples perception of BB's drafting ability if his top picks don't work out, again I don't care if other players are stepping up to the plate and we're still winning games...:cool:

Nice to hear...would obviously like to see Dobson and Boyce on the list, but they've been nursing some injuries the last few sessions. Good to see MAYBE Thompkins could step in and give us another youngster to develop.

I hear you, but as long as they can line up someone who is young and can play I don't care where they were drafted. It's not my money. ;)

I hear you, but as long as they can line up someone who is young and can play I don't care where they were drafted. It's not my money. ;)

Truth...as long as they get SOMEONE who can work outside the hash and some part of the deep field, i'll be happy. Don't care who it is, just no more Deion Branch in his wheelchair running slant and dig routes...

I am a avid Pats Fan and reader of this forum, but I rarely post because I've never played or coached football, and I figure that it is "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt".

I guess I wanted to ask you how you know that it isn't possible to get a 3.9 GPA if you've goofed off in middle school, unless you are a genius. Are you an educator or education expert? Have you studied correlations between Middle School success and success in college?

My own experience is far different. I teach Physics at a major university that is not a patty-cake university (it is ranked about 30th nationally in research funding). I get kids in my class all the time that have a very deficient educational background. But, if they work hard and are determined, they invariably succeed. I've had students that couldn't do basic algebra when they entered the class that with enough hard work were "A" students at the end of the year.

90% of success in college and in the workplace after college is hard work and determination. You don't have to be a genius. Even students that have poor reading skills and math background can take remedial classes and succeed, with (but only with) hard work.

My group performs lots of recruitment and outreach to Middle Schools, but that is primarily because Middle School is when a kid decides what they are interested in (science, languages, etc.), and whether or not they want to take school seriously. But (in my experience) t isn't like a young man is eternally condemned to stupidity and ignorance and could never handle college because they goof off in Middle School.

The idea that Mr. Thompkins couldn't work hard and make a 3.9 in college because he goofed off in middle school unless he was a "genius", well, let me just say I strongly disagree, I try to fight that attitude ("I'm not smart enough") everyday, that is what set me off here. With very rare exceptions, any student can become a great student as long as they have the right combination of hard work and determination.

Good for Kenbrell Thompkins, I am sure he will be successful, either on the Patriots or in some other endeavor in life.

I really hate to do this, but 3.9 GPA when you've mugged through middle school--I'm sorry, but that's embarrassing for the university. You put yourself at such a deficit by doing that, and there is really no recovery unless you're a genius, which is possible. But...

Given the way universities run football programs, I reserve my right to be a huge doubter on that score.

Doesn't this offense need a deep threat/ outside the hashes wide receiver. So who cares what his name is as long as he fills a need. Dobson might work out and maybe Boyce, but we just need someone!

Read the whole thing, it's an incredible story of turning adversity on it's head. I so want this guy to succeed.

Everything To Prove: The Kenbrell Thompkins Story - The News Record: Sports

He's been my dark horse binky since they signed him - while I very much want him to make the team, if he has the talent I think he has, I half-expect them to limit his exposure in pre-season games in the hopes of stashing him on the practice squad for a year, where he should be safe.

But I have a feeling this guy is a the deep threat WR of the future - just a gut instinct.

He's been my dark horse binky since they signed him - while I very much want him to make the team, if he has the talent I think he has, I half-expect them to limit his exposure in pre-season games in the hopes of stashing him on the practice squad for a year, where he should be safe.

But I have a feeling this guy is a the deep threat WR of the future - just a gut instinct.
It's been particularly interesting reading the draft profiles of Thompkins Joe. To me, he's the prototypical diamond in the rough. The comments about Thompkins current performance in the media is encouraging. Let's hope he continues to develop and gives himself a good shot at the 53. We could use as many playmaking receivers as possible.

I am a avid Pats Fan and reader of this forum, but I rarely post because I've never played or coached football, and I figure that it is "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt".

By all means, please speak up.

We'd love to hear your thoughts and always welcome additional opinions.

I for one, actually learn something new all the time just by posting, and after all--your thoughts couldn't possibly be any crazier than some of mine :eek:

Doesn't this offense need a deep threat/ outside the hashes wide receiver. So who cares what his name is as long as he fills a need. Dobson might work out and maybe Boyce, but we just need someone!

I don't personally feel as though the state of the WR's is nearly as bad as some others, despite the fact that they'll be forced to learn on the fly in some regard. I still wouldn't mind choosing to either bring back Llyod for a lesser role or at least adding to the competition with a roster cut here in the next couple of months.

It's entirely possible that we could choose to keep 6 "true" receivers aside from Slater this season just due to the overhaul and need for talent, so there is actually a decent amount of competition out there for the remaining 2-3 spots. On top of that a guy like Boyce may be redshirted with a case of the old Foxborough Flu, so who knows if he'll even be one of the names on the 53 in 2013? (He surely won't be cut) This could even make that 2-3 number closer to 3-4. Either way there are plenty of spots available for someone to step up and show what they have.

I don't imagine that Belichick views Thompkins any different from Boyce or Dobson despite being an UDFA. He is simply interested in work ethic, the ability to learn from mistakes, understanding the scheme and playbook (a big one in NE), and obviously raw skills; but if there are players who are similar in talent you can bet that Belichick will choose the one who shows more of the first 3 attributes that I listed.

I hope this guy turns into David Givens 2.0 or better, but we need to temper our expectation based on minicamp. It is still minicamp.

I hope this guy turns into David Givens 2.0 or better, but we need to temper our expectation based on minicamp. It is still minicamp.

When they come back in 6 weeks we'll likely know a lot more about how a certain player has picked up the playbook, not to mention the health of some of his competition. That's one of the reasons why I don't pay too much attention to mini-camp (or the earlier wks of TC for that matter).

That said, it could potentially be a blessing in disguise if some of these players are getting longer looks due to not having what we'd deem as "starters" in there at the moment. We all know that there will be darkhorse players such as UDFA's and late round draft picks who will definitely make the team, we just don't who/where at this point. If a player like Thompkins has that much more of an opportunity then it may end up working to his advantage...assuming that he shows up in 6 wks with a nice knowledge of the scheme and playbook memorized ;)

you know what you need right now, Supa???

you need another installment of "Joe Kerr's Cavalcade Of Horribleness"....let me know if you're still here...

you know what you need right now, Supa???

you need another installment of "Joe Kerr's Cavalcade Of Horribleness"....let me know if you're still here...

Let me know if there is a channel that I can subscribe to, or if you have others etc.

Love it!!

heh...yes...it's true...especially mad at the world...which happens to be my forte!

Interesting Notes on WR Kenbrell Thompkins

Was reading Mike Reiss' entry this morning which had some interesting stuff on Kenbrell Thompkins:

Quick-hit thoughts on NFL and Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I watched about 20 minutes or so of highlights on him from college and he appears to be more of a possession type of receiver who has a knack for getting open in the middle of the field, but he's also a guy who seems to be really good at battling defenders and coming down with the football. The scouting reports from the draft had some calling him a solid starting #2 or #3 receiver in this league. Needless to say he should be interesting to keep an eye on during camp.

Re: Interesting Notes on WR Kenbrell Thompkins

Was reading Mike Reiss' entry this morning which had some interesting stuff on Kenbrell Thompkins:

Quick-hit thoughts on NFL and Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I watched about 20 minutes or so of highlights on him from college and he appears to be more of a possession type of receiver who has a knack for getting open in the middle of the field, but he's also a guy who seems to be really good at battling defenders and coming down with the football. The scouting reports from the draft had some calling him a solid starting #2 or #3 receiver in this league. Needless to say he should be interesting to keep an eye on during camp.

Has the makings of a real "feel good" story. Our 2nd chance program sure could use a boost. Hello 2013 binky.

Everything To Prove: The Kenbrell Thompkins Story - The News Record: Sports

Kenbrell Thompkins Draft Profile ? NFL.com

Re: Interesting Notes on WR Kenbrell Thompkins

Has the makings of a real "feel good" story. Our 2nd chance program sure could use a boost. Hello 2013 binky.

I hope you are right. To me, the feel good story should not be written until he gets half way through his post-rookie contract.
He has every reason to keep his nose clean but the real test of how much of a changed man any of these guys are comes when the bank balance is in the 7 figure range.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back