PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eugene Wilson for Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samuel is a year younger than Clements, but Clements has been in the league two more years.

I don't know much about Clement but he and Samuel are the top 2 FAs at CB. Samuel has gotten better every year, is young (26 for 07 season) and knows the system. I would prefer him but as a fallback Clement is very talented, much bigger, can play press coverage and is more physical in run support.

My point was that after these 2 the FA market for CBs is very thin and there appears to be a big drop in talent. My preference is to sign Samuel, if they don't I expect 1-2 CBs to get drafted maybe both on Day 1.

Point taken on Clements. Didn't realize he was 6'0 and 209. I always get him confused with the other Ohio St cb who plays for the Vikes.

It would be nice to have a cb who can play press coverage.

The thing I guess I just don't see is the PAts shelling out big money for a cb. But the cap has changed so we might see some different things. We might see more of an emphasize on guaranteed money in the form of roster bonuses and signing bonuses.

My big concern isn't Wilson at this point, but rather who will replace Harrison in the longer term. Wilson has the speed and covering instincts and showed himself to be an OK tackler earlier in his career. I'm worried about the future at SS, though. Like every other team, we need someone who can dominate physically and who can cover the TE or one of the backs. I'm not sure James Sanders is the answer, but then I haven't seen enough of him to judge (and I am certainly no expert).
I should also say that I am a Hobbs fan, as relevant as it is to this thread. I like his speed, his covering seems OK and I think he can really lay a hit on WRs.

wilson has proved fragile playiny safety he might be better suited at corner , nor nickel back
Yes too fragile. Only I believe 2006 was the only season in which he sat out for a couple of games due to injuries. Lay off him, he is not fragile! If you call Wilson fragile for being out for most of the 2006 season, then why dont you call Rodney fragile while your at it forbeing injured nearly all of 2005 and a good deal of 2006.

My big concern isn't Wilson at this point, but rather who will replace Harrison in the longer term. Wilson has the speed and covering instincts and showed himself to be an OK tackler earlier in his career. I'm worried about the future at SS, though. Like every other team, we need someone who can dominate physically and who can cover the TE or one of the backs. I'm not sure James Sanders is the answer, but then I haven't seen enough of him to judge (and I am certainly no expert).
I should also say that I am a Hobbs fan, as relevant as it is to this thread. I like his speed, his covering seems OK and I think he can really lay a hit on WRs.

The thing about Rodney is his size. IMO you don't see many big strong safeties who could double almost as a linebacker and if they do they are bad in coverage.

You have Roy Williams and Sean Taylor, but most are undersized or they are playing LB(i.e. Cato June)

It's really difficult to find a strong safety of his size who can play the run and cover.

Yes too fragile. Only I believe 2006 was the only season in which he sat out for a couple of games due to injuries. Lay off him, he is not fragile! If you call Wilson fragile for being out for most of the 2006 season, then why dont you call Rodney fragile while your at it forbeing injured nearly all of 2005 and a good deal of 2006.

Plus you had the bad luck in the two superbowls of the pulled groin and broken forearm.

I agree that safety is an issue that should be addressed in the mid-rounds of the draft. With the way we go through DBs it just can't hurt. And I do think we can re-sign E. Wilson on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case