ESPN SAM MONSON: Tom Brady is no longer a top-5 QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This will definitely get some tighty whities in a bunch ...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11020311/tom-brady-no-longer-top-5-qb-nfl/refresh/true

Manning is the standard by which all quarterbacks are measured, and Rodgers and Brees remain worthy of places on the quarterback Mount Rushmore, but Brady has slipped below passers like Philip Rivers (if he maintains his 2013 performance level) and Ben Roethlisberger. Russell Wilson has already led his team to the Super Bowl and has shown a Brady-like knack for making plays at the right time. Andrew Luck is well on his way to surpassing Brady if the Indianapolis Colts can give him a little more help.

Okay I am going to run under a rock for posting this now ...
I see a monsoon of hate coming Monson's way.

E!SPN trolling for clicks among a nation of haters? This is surprising... um,...
Why are you surprised?

Jets fans, Steelers fans, Broncos fans... all in universal disagreement with this premise.

hmm Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Brady top 4 (no particular order), but who could be better

I agree, Manning is the standard, Brady is the Gold Standard.

Good call Sam.

Brady doesn't have to be a top 5 QB for this team to win the SB, he just has to be a top 5 QB when it counts. But this article is a joke if they want to say that Ben Roethlisberger is ahead of Brady at this point. Then again how else will they get their articles on forums like this if they aren't a joke?

Offensive line that was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard at times
Rookie receivers that were in & out of the lineup with injuries
Vet receiver playing the entire season on a groin that was torn off the bone
All world TE played 7 games, other star TE turned out to be an absolute psycho
Receiving option at RB had a broken wrist, the effect of which appeared evident when he returned
No stand out, reliable option at RB

...yet despite all of that the team got to the AFCCG and had WRs & RBs put up more receiving yards than 2012, not one other QB in the league would have done that given the same circumstances.

You know, I feel as if it's the third or fourth year straight that I've seen an article or analyst argue this exact same point (granted the "top 5" changes, but the argument that Tom doesn't belong in it persists). And yet, practically every season, like clockwork, Brady succeeds in getting his team a top 3 seed.
Could it be that ESPN doesn't really care about analyzing sports, and cares more about creating narratives in orders to draw attention? No, that's impossible! That network has ALWAYS been the "platinum standard" of journalistic integrity :rolleyes:.

You know, my friend made a pretty decent argument for why the "Brady on the decline" articles seem to pop up more than ones about Manning: Because fans of the 31 other teams are sicker of Brady winning than they are of Manning. So in essence, the network is simply telling football fans what they WANT to hear rather than what's actually going on. Not sure if it's the same with other dominant sports franchises, but I could imagine that there exists more than two dozen articles that falsely predicted that the demise of the San Antonio Spurs.

That's what you get when you have idiots writing so called "articles" today. But he will get more clicks then saying Brady is the goat.

Offensive line that was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard at times
Rookie receivers that were in & out of the lineup with injuries
Vet receiver playing the entire season on a groin that was torn off the bone
All world TE played 7 games, other star TE turned out to be an absolute psycho
Receiving option at RB had a broken wrist, the effect of which appeared evident when he returned
No stand out, reliable option at RB

...yet despite all of that the team got to the AFCCG and had WRs & RBs put up more receiving yards than 2012, not one other QB in the league would have done that given the same circumstances.

Let's not discount the injuries sustained on the defensive side either.

The worse a D is, the more a team will have to rely on their O.

Early on, the Pats D proved good enough to win, in spite of the problems with the offense. However, that defense seriously regressed following the injuries to Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo, and Talib.

Just another Mediot Wannabe hidin behind a screen & keyboard tryin to get a rise out of Slammin Brady like every other dumbazz. Brady is everone's whippin boy, haters will hate.
So how'bout last season we give Brady Manning's offense and give Manning Brady's Offense then lets see who's declining, setting records, not setting records. Another Joke Article from another Joke of a Mediot.

This author to one of his cubicle mates: "Let me see how many time I can get Patriots' fans to call me a 'mediot'."

Al-Qaeda chief: "Let me see if I can get them to have to take their shoes off at airports."

I would love to see an article saying Manning is no longer a top 1, 3, 5 whatever. Isn't he a year older than Brady anyway. What about that chronic (i.e. lifelong, worsening) neck injury affecting his throwing shoulder/arm? Has that healed somehow?

On top of that we have a season of empirical proof the injury actually started to weaken his long throw last season. No one noticed or just forgot I guess bc/he audibled into so many short 5 yd touchdown passes of QB glory that his fantasy stats (QespnBR? what the heck it that anyway) went up. So it's all good right?

Also everything went right last year for the forehead... well, everything except the last game of course, haha. He had a stacked vet WR lineup, a tough D giving him the ball in good locations, a stat oriented coach that was all about breaking records, a weak schedule, perfect weather, relatively injury free year, little or no game pressure 90% of the time, big leads, OAK twice, etc, etc. He won't see it all line up and repeat as easily again for him or DEN this season. So I'll say it here and now -- PM is no longer a top 5 (top 3 if i was betting haha)-- and this is the season we all see it unfold. I expect the talking head apologist vid clips starting somewhere around game 4.

And... While on a rant, I just thought of this. Could you imagine how many teammates or coaches PM would have quietly thrown under the bus if he had the same negative outside factors TB had go against him pretty much every game during the first half of last season? And TB never said one word, cept' getting pissed during the heat of a game and for one natl telecast unfortunately, O.M.G, can U believe IT! He scowled and looked upset at critical game mistakes. OMG Those young WR's are people, with feelings. He should <3 them. He hurt their feelings. PM would never do that. Except he has, several times, in the papers as well. Just for that reason alone, I hope things got south, and PM has some real adversity this season. I really want to see how he, fans and the talking heads, react as kinda twisted social experiment. It's really a fascinating and strange social dichotomy PM and TB are interwoven into when one examines it objectively. All IMO of course. :)

Last edited:
He's an arrogant **** as well, I know him personally.

Judging by his tweets and retweets I find that easy to believe.

Look at some of it

Sam Monson @PFF_Sam · 4h
The people who keep pointing to all Brady's useless rookie WRs,did they even watch him last year? What about all the flat out missed throws?

Retweeted by Sam Monson
Peter @PAlexieff · 4h
@PFF_Sam if the WR can't teleport 6-7 yards to the left or right to snag an errant pass, they have no business receiving Brady's lasers

-
Ya it's not like Brady had ligament damage in his throwing hand, WR in the wrong place, or the factor of crappy protection that resulted in rushed throws.

Kind of weird how Edelman and Gronk both caught 70% of the balls thrown their way and those were easily the two guys Brady trusted the most last year.

Also newsflash to this dipshit all QBs miss throws. Highest completion percentage ever in a season was 71.2%. I'm pretty sure the other 28.8% wasn't all drops and passes broken up.

It also looks like he bases his argument on

Sam Monson @PFF_Sam · 5h
From the article: Over past 4 seasons, Brady's TD:INT ratio under pressure has gone from 6:1, 4:1, 2:1, 1:1 in 2013, with 5 TDs, 5 INTs

6:1- 2010- Unanimous MVP season
4:1- 2011
2:1- 2012- He threw 8 INT all regular season. Going out on a real limb on that one
1:1- 2013- He had one real TD threat for a 7 game stretch, only one reliable WR, and horrible pass protection. So almost half of his INT last season came under pressure. When you have one reliable WR all season, terrible pass protection, and only throw 5 INT with the amount of pressure he saw last season. Sorry call me a homer but I consider that a positive.

Last edited:
I would love to see an article saying Manning is no longer a top 1, 3, 5 whatever. Isn't he a year older than Brady anyway. What about that chronic (i.e. lifelong, worsening) neck injury affecting his throwing shoulder/arm? Has that healed somehow? On top of that we have a season of empirical proof the injury actually started to weaken his long throw last season. No one noticed or just forgot I guess bc/he audibled into so many short 5 yd touchdown passes of QB glory that his fantasy stats (QespnBR? what the heck it that anyway) went up. So it's all good right? Also everything went right last year for the forehead... well, everything except the last game of course, haha. He had a stacked vet WR lineup, a tough D giving him the ball in good locations, a stat oriented coach that was all about breaking records, a weak schedule, perfect weather, relatively injury free year, little or no game pressure 90% of the time, big leads, OAK twice, etc, etc. He won't see it all line up and repeat as easily again for him or DEN this season. So I'll say it here and now -- PM is no longer a top 5 (top 3 if i was betting haha)-- and this is the season we all see it unfold. I expect the talking head apologist vid clips starting somewhere around game 4. And... While on a rant, I just thought of this. Could you imagine how many teammates or coaches PM would have quietly thrown under the bus if he the same negative outside factors TB had go against him pretty much every game during the first half of last season? And TB never said one word, cept' getting pissed during the heat of a game and for one natl telecast unfortunaelty, O.M.G, can U believe IT! He scowled and looked upset at critical game mistakes. OMG Those young WR's are people, with feelings. He should <3 them. He hurt their feelings. PM would never do that. Except he has, several times, in the papers as well. Just for that reason alone, I hope things got south, and PM has some real adversity this season. I really want to see how he, fans and the talking heads, react as kinda twisted social experiment. It's really a fascinating and strange social dichotomy PM and TB are interwoven into when one examines it objectively. All IMO of course. :)
Even his trip to Foxboro didn't go quite according to media plans. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News