PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady ranked 4th Top Athlete of 1995 - 2015 by ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously either don't or can't play golf!

I'll agree it's not like football, basketball or hockey, but it's exactly on-par with baseball in my opinion.

To put it another way, one can not compare golf to darts or pool where you only have to do one thing well. In golf, it requires hundreds of various shots, finesse, power, calm and an incredible ability to deal with pressure for 4 consecutive days.
I didn't realize you do alot of running when golfing. I'll look up the subject and try to learn more.:rolleyes:

Yeah, OK. :rolleyes:Great argument. Didn't they do something else before launching a career into the "Greatest of all time sport for greatest of all time athletes"?

You've clearly never experienced anything remotely considered a sport.:cool:

The dictionary definition of "sport" disagrees with your assertion...

sport

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

noun
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.

diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry:
What he said in sport was taken seriously.

mockery; ridicule; derision:
They made sport of him.

an object of derision; laughingstock.

something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport?s=t

Oh come on. Michael Phelps has 22 Olympic Medals (most all time) 18 of which are gold and the next highest gold medeal winner of all time only has 9. Woods isn't even considered the greatest golfer ever by some when nobody can dispute Phelps clear dominance over the world going back to what 1896 (when the Olympics began) PGA started in 1929.

Woods and Phelps are very close.

It's easier to win multiple medals in swimming than any other sports. Because swimming race types are barely different from one another. You could win 4 medals for different distances in a single stroke. And if you're a freak athlete with a physiology like Phelps', you'll invariably do well at any stroke.

Record holder for most medals in a single Olympic prior to Phelps was Mark Spitz, another swimmer.

Interestingly, record holder for most TOTAL Olympic medals prior to Phelps was Larisa Latynina, a gymnast. Now THAT according to me is the paragon of athleticism. Yet no surprise there isn't a single gymnast on BSPN's "list" :rolleyes:.

Some comments on the Comments

1. Another brilliant click creator brought to us by the "click creator" leader of the media.

2. I will always feel its tougher to win a championship in football than any other team sport for this reason. Its one and done. In the rest of the sports you have the added advantage of a series of games to reach each level. Because of that, the best team will usually win. If the Giants had had to win 2 of 3 games vs the Pats, their 2 championships would never have happened.

3 So while in sports like Basketball or baseball or hockey, the "best" team is more likely to wind up champion, because of the no margin of error you get from the NFL playoffs, it is HARDER to become an NFL champion than any other. JMHO

4. Any list that has Peyton Manning with 20 players of Tom Brady has proven itself worthless in my mind.
Manning will hold almost all the individual records for his position, but football is the ultimate team game, and QB is the ultimate leadership position. The fact is, when you compare Manning/Brady for how they performed against the best competition and biggest pressure (the playoffs), they aren't even in the same zip code. You can make a better case for Joe Flacco to be ahead of PManning.

5. So while to can argue all you want about who should be in the top 5, the fact that Manning is considered to be with 20 of Brady, diminishes him far more than the fact 3 other guys were put ahead of him

6. Micheal Phelps deserves to be #1, and I don't understand how anyone else is eve close

7. Micheal Jordan and Bill Russell are the 2 most impactful individuals ever to play a team sport and only Magic Johnson and Larry are even close, but neither are on the same level.

8. ESPN is a complete fraud as a sport journalistic operation, but they are among the best media marketers in the world. I hate them, but you have to give props when they are deserved.\

9. I take pride in the fact I didn't give them a click to learn about this topic.

MJ, Tiger and Brady. That should be the top 3.

It should be American biased..

ESPN.com is an American website...

Just like if Sky Sports did a top 20 list like this, I wouldn't expect Brady to be in it.
What a stupid statement.

If you're making the grand assertion of compiling the 20 best athletes in the world you kind of need to look outside your own country.

Isn't ESPN the 'Worldwide Leader in Sports'?

Brady deserves to be in any top 10 regardless of who compiles the list, Jeter and Manning do not - that's the bias I'm referring to.

WHERE IS DIKEMBE
Does DIKEMBE golf? If not your not an "athlete" according to some. Me personally DIKEMBE, I take you over every dumb, fat, lazy golfer anyday.:D

I didn't realize you do alot of running when golfing. I'll look up the subject and try to learn more.:rolleyes:

I forgot how much David Ortiz or any pitcher has had to run...you got me!

I'll help you OE1...anyone can get good at darts or pool. Not even close with golf. People play for year's and still suck. I actually wish they wouldn't because they hold me up.

I've played 2 of the most physical sports, wrestling and football. While one doesn't need that kind of speed or strength, golf requires a natural athletic ability most that play don't have. Why do you think so many stars of the other sports are so good at golf,?....Charles Barkley excluded!

Last edited:

I'll help you OE1...anyone can get good at darts or pool. Not even close with golf. People play for year's and still suck. I actually wish they wouldn't because they hold me up.

I've played 2 of the most physical sports, wrestling and football. While one doesn't need that kind of speed or strength, golf requires a natural athletic ability most that play don't have. Why do you think so many stars of the other sports are so good at golf,?....Charles Barkley excluded!

Becuase they're no longer stars and it's a leisure activity they enjoy in retirement when they no longer have to rigorously train to acheive the peak level of the athletic field where they excelled.

Is this really that difficult for people to understand?

Golf is NOT a sport. Plain and simple. Fun game....NOT a sport.

After Tiger Woods, who's the greatest golf "athlete" in that particular "sport"?

Becuase they're no longer stars and it's a leisure activity they enjoy in retirement when they no longer have to rigorously train to acheive the peak level of the athletic field where they excelled.

Is this really that difficult for people to understand?

Golf is NOT a sport. Plain and simple. Fun game....NOT a sport.

You forgot to preface your statement with "in my opinion" because that's all it is. You can huff & puff all you want, but it's still just your opinion to which most experts disagree.

So we'll agree to disagree.

After Tiger Woods, who's the greatest golf "athlete" in that particular "sport"?

The ONLY way your logic works is if you agree that all baseball pitchers and designated hitters are not athletes. So either address that point directly or let it go

You can't have it both ways

The ONLY way your logic works is if you agree that all baseball pitchers and designated hitters are not athletes. So either address that point directly or let it go

You can't have it both ways
A DH has to hit and RUN. You know, that action you take after you hit the ball to
RUN to a base. Have you ever RUN to the next hole after hitting a golfball? Have you ever went and sucked a drink down between a hole because theres no time limit? I've never seen a BB player suck down a Mai-Tai going from 1st to 2nd.

Golf is a game. Not a sport. Is it really an argument? I've golfed and it's fun, but don't confuse golphers with atheletes. I'm not trying to be a dink, but c'mon man, really?

A DH has to hit and RUN. You know, that action you take after you hit the ball to
RUN to a base. Have you ever RUN to the next hole after hitting a golfball? Have you ever went and sucked a drink down between a hole because theres no time limit? I've never seen a BB player suck down a Mai-Tai going from 1st to 2nd.

Golf is a game. Not a sport. Is it really an argument? I've golfed and it's fun, but don't confuse golphers with atheletes. I'm not trying to be a dink, but c'mon man, really?

OhExaulted1, it’s no secret that professional athletes love to play golf. And they tend to gravitate to golf for a reason. Because it keep their competitive juices flowing.

"Sure it's a sport,'' says former NHL superstar and scratch golfer Brett Hull. "People don't understand what it takes to be an elite athlete in any sport. To me the mental preparation and toughness in golf blows away what it takes in any sport. Just because golfers don't wear running shoes and don't run down the fairway doesn't mean they aren't athletes.''

"They fall in love with golf because it's so frustrating and difficult,'' says Toby Dawson, a bronze medalist in mogul skiing at the 2006 Olympics and an 11.8 Index. "That's what athletes love. They love adversity; they like to be challenged to the extent where they have to push themselves beyond a certain level.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2857006

Last edited:

Running doesn't define what is or is not a sport. Which is why weight-lifting is a sport.

Study supports argument that golf is a sport

"There are a lot of ways to define a sport," Wolkodoff said. "But we know that the golf swing uses almost every muscle group in the body. We know it uses a pretty significant amount of energy — not as much as running a 10K but more than people think. And one significant measure of a sport is whether physical training improves your ability to perform, and I think that's been proven in golf.
"So in my estimation, it's absolutely a sport."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/golf...cle_a4bc9063-0035-5fc0-99eb-61eb83c68cb7.html

Professional golfers typically hit thousands of practice shots every week. When I was in my 30's, I took professional lessons every year and worked out rigorously during the off-season just to get in shape for golf. As a result, I was able to break 80 (if you know what that means) a few times each season.

I walked the course and carried a bag that weighed over 50 pounds. That means I carried that bag over 5 miles up and down steep hills for over 4 hours.

So it is an argument/debate.....and that's not debateable!!

OhExaulted1, it’s no secret that professional athletes love to play golf. And they tend to gravitate gravitate to golf for a reason. Because it keep their competitive juices flowing.

"Sure it's a sport,'' says former NHL superstar and scratch golfer Brett Hull. "People don't understand what it takes to be an elite athlete in any sport. To me the mental preparation and toughness in golf blows away what it takes in any sport. Just because golfers don't wear running shoes and don't run down the fairway doesn't mean they aren't athletes.''

"They fall in love with golf because it's so frustrating and difficult,'' says Toby Dawson, a bronze medalist in mogul skiing at the 2006 Olympics and an 11.8 Index. "That's what athletes love. They love adversity; they like to be challenged to the extent where they have to push themselves beyond a certain level.''

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2857006

In my opionin, if you've never played golf passionately, you'll never understand what it takes.

My guess is that OhExaulted1 has never done that.

Nice post.

Running doesn't define what is or is not a sport. Which is why weight-lifting is a sport.

Study supports argument that golf is a sport

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/golf...cle_a4bc9063-0035-5fc0-99eb-61eb83c68cb7.html

Professional golfers typically hit thousands of practice shots every week. When I was in my 30's, I took professional lessons every year and worked out rigorously during the off-season just to get in shape for golf. As a result, I was able to break 80 (if you know what that means) a few times each season.

I walked the course and carried a bag that weighed over 50 pounds. That means I carried that bag over 5 miles up and down steep hills for over 4 hours.

So it is an argument/debate.....and that's not debateable!!
Please go back to the Political Forum or whatever Golf forum you may be associted with and allow the regular users on this site to discuss the Professional Game of Football which is the reason why people post here.

Thank You, Patriots Fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots