PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN/Reiss/PFT: Moss and Patriots agree on 3-year, $27M deal [mergedx9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Cap hit for Moss

We should know in a couple of days, but $7M seems about right, $3M guaranteed salary plus 1/3 of the $12M signing bonus.

Re: Moss Agent Details deal

He gave up $3mil in bonus money from the Eagle to stay a Patriot. He made me a believer last year - he made me a fan this year.

I think it's overly simplistic to compare contracts by averaging them per year.

for example, would you prefer randy's deal (9m/year average, 12m signing bonus), or would you rather have a 3 yr 33m contract w/0 signing bonus, and 20m in the 3rd year?

I'm no accountant, but I'd think the signing bonus makes that a decent contract.

It does, it makes him practically impossible to cut.

You cut him and you take a $5 million cap space hit in each year.

Might as well just pay him the $9 million.

You're not going to find a better receiver for $4 million even if he goes loopy. The ghost of Randy Moss is even worth $4 million.

Essentially, this means Randy will be a Patriot for 3 years unless he retires or pays back the bonus.

Re: moss message to his fans.

Unfinished business... don't you just love the sound of that!!!
Thank you Mr. Moss

This news is totally MOSSOME!

Yeah Randy!
Time for me to go out and get that 81 jersey now!

I bet Chris Carter is livid!

That's a great deal. I figured it would take about 15M bonus to sign Moss. The Pats structured it so he got 12 up front, and an additional 3M guaranteed so his agent and tout the 15M number. Over half of Moss' contract is guaranteed money. It's a great deal for both parties involved.

You guys can say what you want about my concerns about Moss - but given his tenure with the Raiders, and willingness to shop himself around the NFL, it seems to me that this short contract suggests the Patriots front office had some similar concerns.

Actually, since the later years of an NFL contract aren't guaranteed, they are essentially a club option with no benefit to the player. Thus, the short 3-year term of the Moss deal is a benefit to Moss, not the Patriots (who have no club option).

In reality, the realistic contract is good for both parties. The worst scenario is when you have an older player that would like to stay with the club and a club that would like to keep the player, but fake years tacked onto the end of of a contract force the club to release the player. Psychologically, it's tough to get beyond those situations.

Re: Moss turned down more money from Eagles

Uh oh. I smell something fishy here. Specter is gonna want to look into this. How dare someone from the Pats dismiss his Iggles like that.

We should know in a couple of days, but $7M seems about right, $3M guaranteed salary plus 1/3 of the $12M signing bonus.

that sounds about right. so, according to miguel's numbers, if the 7mil is probably right, add to that the 1mil aiken signed for, should leave the pats with 9-10 mil under the cap

Last edited:
Re: Moss resigns with hometown discout

actually I was the first to report it.

The Pats are willing to open the purse strings for the great players, see:
Moss, Randy and Seymour, Richard.

And won't overpay merely above average players, see:
Branch, Deion and Samuel, Asante.

Last edited:

I'm guessing it's a $3,000,000, $5,000,000, $7,000,000 for years 1-3, and spreading out the $12,000,000 equally

making it $7, $9 and $11,000,000 for the cap

i also wouldn't be surprised to see a restructure in the 3rd year if things go well and he stays healthy. as others have said, it's a great contract for both sides the way it sounds.

What great news to wake up to!!! I'm so relieved.

I was really worried about you ,Patjew...thought maybe you committed ritual seppuku...then I remembered you're in China and if anything, the swine flu would have got you by now.

anyway...a GREAT day for us Moss apologists and die hard Patriot fans...our faith in Bioli has once again been reaffirmed and Patriot fans around the world are breathing easier.

i knew moss would return but all those damn rumors were starting to get to me at the end haha..im so excited that he signed so now the team could put all their time into adding other players & fix a couple things plus we still got the draft..all in all this has turned out to be a great day & i cant wait till next season.i have a feeling brady is now gonna work twice as hard to fulfill his goal of another superbowl ring..GO PATS!

The bottom line is the Randy Moss contract is a great deal for both the New England Patriots organization and Randy Moss himself. Obviously Randy Moss did not break the New England Patriots budget for 2008 while Randy Moss took slightly less than fair market value (especially considering the Bernard Berrian contract).

Well with it only being for 3 years it wouldn't surprise me if its feasible that he plays all three years and gets every penny.

But we won't know until the contract details are released.

I suppose its possible the last year is backloaded - which would be interesting if the contract turns out to be a defacto two year deal with a very expensive third year.

You guys can say what you want about my concerns about Moss - but given his tenure with the Raiders, and willingness to shop himself around the NFL, it seems to me that this short contract suggests the Patriots front office had some similar concerns.

What are you to make of it when the NFL market determines that Donte Stallworth is worth a 7 year contract with $10 million guranteed and Moss is worth 3 years with $12 million guranteed.

I'm glad for the Pats - they got a great, low risk deal - but let's not delude ourselves that the Pats might have wanted to protect themselves too.

I guess you can't own up so you will use a faulty spin. Randy apparently got another $3M guaranteed on top of the $12M signing bonus or more than half of his money ($15M guaranteed on a 3 year deal.

Stallworth got $10M guaranteed (no mention of what portion was signing bonus) to sign a 7 year deal he will never see the end of. One will see at least $13M in year one, the other we don't know how much he will see up front. One will average $9M and the other $5M if they play their entire deal. One will likely see $27M over the first three, the other $17M if he's still there. After 5 years his take drops to $22M - which lowers his average to $4.5M per and means Donte has $13M in backloaded salary or really a 5 year $22M deal with less than half guaranteed.

Moss was offered a higher average, likely $10M per, and more money up front (likely the $15M). He left money on the table, returned to the Patriots in spite of a better offer, and he didn't break the bank for Mr. Kraft. That is what he said he would do, and he did it. But you just go ahead and spin that any way that makes you feel good.

So apparently the Eagles spoke "extensively" with Moss and offered him more money than the Patriots. The Eagles thought they had a possible deal even today, before the Moss - Patriots agreement was announced.

I'd be interested in learning more about that.

The simplest guess would be:

12 M/3 years signing bonus = $4m/year vs. cap
3 M year 1 salary = $3M vs. cap (salary), 2008
Total 08 would be $7M

Of course it could be structured any of a million ways, including a $1M sal. this year and a 2M sal. (guaranteed sal.) next year... that would make his hit a total of 5M this year, 6M next year, and a whopping 16M in 2010, which would make no sense at all... that is why I think the other guaranteed money is out of this year's salary. And why not just guarantee the whole salary this year? It's not like you're cutting him.

So that would be a $7M hit in 08, total $15M sal to pay minus the 3M paid = 12 between the next 2 years (09 and '10.)

Call the salary 5M in 09 (cap hit = 9M), and 7M in '10 (cap hit = 11M). None of those numbers are beyond the pale horrible.

It also gives you a situation in '10 where you have a choice of taking a simple 4M dead money hit (in the neighborhood of what we had on Corey last year,) or paying out the 11M... or, of course, restructuring at the end of the deal if Moss still wants to play. Barring injury, I personally don't think this is at all unlikely.

just guessing here...

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back