PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saints sign Gay to 4-year, $17M ($6.9M guaranteed) deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did read the thread. You did quote his post which, as you well know, implies that you are responding to it and directing your response to that poster. And It was my pleasure to 'set you straight'.

I apologize for the faux pas and thank you for your graciousness. I merely meant to highlight the statement as indicative of something that has become commonplace.

Last edited:
Re: Gay is gone!

good riddens.

When you crap on old Patriots who did what was best for themselves and never did anything wrong against the franchise, could you at least spell it correctly?

Anyway, that stupidity aside, good for Randall. Clearly he got a payday that the Pats were not gonna match. Thanks for the hard work, and best of luck to ya - unless you're playing the Pats, but that's fair game...

I hope.

I also hope he learns how to successfully catch a football this off-season.

I'd envision a Harrison/Sanders platoon at SS with Meriweather manning the FS spot.

As for improving his hands, I'd direct your attention to exhibit A: Asante Samuel.

Gay earned it. let him enjoy it. good luck Gay! :singing:

$4.5M a year for Randall Gay ???

That kind of money for Randall Gay is mind boggling. The guy isn't that good. No wonder the Patriots compete every year on both sides of the ball. They don't whiz away money on fringe players, like other teams do. The Saints overpaid for David, and now they overpay for Gay.

Last edited:
What are we all going to do with our Gay jersies? :)

Yay for Gay!

I still liked Earthwind Moreland better...

Good for him, better for us...glad his years here helping as a position player fill in paid off for him, and glad our FO isn't foolish enough to pay him 3X what he's worth as a 3, 4, 5 CB at best in this league without BB and the rest as his coach. I said it about Faneca, nothing I love more than seeing other teams overpay for "talent", means when we make smart moves, it looks that much smarter (and it doesn't hurt that it makes the rest of the perennial losers hate us that much more).

Great news. Addition by subtraction. But JR4 must be pissed.:(

Not pissed ... concerned. Trust in Bill is the motto I guess.

But to all you who are dising Gay ... let me just say BB thought enough
of him to make him their 3rd CB and even starter in a SB. Injuries held
him down a few years. The fact Saints paid him so much baffles many of
you ... but ... I'll take the opinion of those who do this for a living
including BB over many of you as to the true worth of Randall Gay.
BB was ready to give Randall a contract just not as much as Saints.
So we got out bid ... now we got to find and train as capable CB to fill
the role he played .... and do it as well. Again he was not a
#1 or #2 CB but a team doesn't just need a #1 and #2 CB.
This move weakens the PATs even if isn't much. These little hits on the
PATs do add up.

You Gay bashers better hope BB finds someone as good to take
his place and can train him in time for next year.
We could have a bunch of newbie CB next year ... but hey .. PATs
can do it they always do. :rocker:
Just remember Earth wind and fire or that Starks guy or ....
they always find someone. :(

Can't blame the guy, he gets a nice payday and gets to go home, plus there's a whole section of the French Quarter honoring him.

Seems like too much coin to me.

But New Orleans needs more Gay.

Wow. Randall Gay making almost $4.5M per, the market is getting ridiculous

That kind of money for Randall Gay is mind boggling. The guy isn't that good. No wonder the Patriots compete every year on both sides of the ball. They don't whiz away money on fringe players, like other teams do. The Saints overpaid for David, and now they overpay for Gay.

It might seem to be overpaying but you must look at like the market: CBs are a scarce commodity - especially if you are over 6' tall like Gay and only 25 years old. The con on Gay of course is his injury history but I would of paid him the money

This is going to hurt the PATS more than u think - Gay was no rookie and knew our system. I hope Coach B got a plan since this is getting scary..... I would of rather kept Gay than dish out the huge $$ to Samuel.
SH*T!

As with all players who leave to be overpaid, congratulations! The reality is that there are few teams who are good at managing the cap every year. There are many more who do not, and overpay. The good teams (pats, colts, chargers and steelers) are the best teams in the league, year after year. They don't win all the their games, SB's or playoff games, but they do many many more than their share.

It is part of life for these teams not to usually make big splashes in the first week of free agency.

I think it a bit silly to say good riddance. We would have happily signed him to compete with Richardson to play nickel and/or dime back (or #4 corner). We now have a hole at nickel, with no particular reason to believe that a rookie will be better in their first year than Gay was in his first year (SB starter) or last year.

Lets say we can do the following. We would be ok.

Sign T Law
Perhaps another average vet at DB
Get a first round DB to groom. Rogers, Cason, Jenkins, etc..
Hobbs
Harrison
Sanders
Merriweather
Richardson
Andrews

We could be fine...

Not pissed ... concerned. Trust in Bill is the motto I guess.

But to all you who are dising Gay ... let me just say BB thought enough
of him to make him their 3rd CB and even starter in a SB. Injuries held
him down a few years. The fact Saints paid him so much baffles many of
you ... but ... I'll take the opinion of those who do this for a living
including BB over many of you as to the true worth of Randall Gay.
BB was ready to give Randall a contract just not as much as Saints.
So we got out bid ... now we got to find and train as capable CB to fill
the role he played .... and do it as well. Again he was not a
#1 or #2 CB but a team doesn't just need a #1 and #2 CB.
This move weakens the PATs even if isn't much. These little hits on the
PATs do add up.

You Gay bashers better hope BB finds someone as good to take
his place and can train him in time for next year.
We could have a bunch of newbie CB next year ... but hey .. PATs
can do it they always do. :rocker:
Just remember Earth wind and fire or that Starks guy or ....
they always find someone. :(

I hear ya. I hope we're not wishing we had Gay on this team in week 3 when the cd is getting torched.

I wish him all the luck except against The Pats..he worked hard..was injured...but stayed focused..UDFA to earning how much?? Can't at all blame him..and being in NO as well. A class guy. Good luck blue!!! I do think he can be replaced..but whena 3rd CB can earn that much..it's overpaying and these teams will see that soon enough..It is NOT like the Pats would have overpaid..they don't..which is why no action so far.

I wish him all the luck except against The Pats..he worked hard..was injured...but stayed focused..UDFA to earning how much?? Can't at all blame him..and being in NO as well. A class guy. Good luck blue!!! I do think he can be replaced..but whena 3rd CB can earn that much..it's overpaying and these teams will see that soon enough..It is NOT like the Pats would have overpaid..they don't..which is why no action so far.

I just hope our future starter is better than blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News