PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saints sign Gay to 4-year, $17M ($6.9M guaranteed) deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gay is gone!

It's always good form to crap on ex-Pats who sign elsewhere.

As opposed to your preference of crapping on Pats who stay with the team....

Yup, some of these NFL GM's are acting like a kid with money burning holes in his pockets...

Really, since when is NE's 3rd CB, who's been on the injured reserve multiple times, and got burned a few different times by 3rd/4th WR's in 2007 worth $4.45M per year?

If that is that market, then I'd gladly hang on to the money and draft some of the top level CB's out of this years draft class. Chevis Jackson should go in the third round, and he'll be a better pro CB than Randall Gay.

There's really no point in expressing indignation every time someone gets signed to a ridiculous contract; that's just the nature of the market in the NFL now, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon.

As opposed to your preference of crapping on Pats who stay with the team....

I wasn't aware I crapped on every Pat who stayed with the team.

great, now we can turn G A Y into a censored word again.

I still feel an upgrade can be made.

Not as crucial as Ellis Hobbs or Antwain Spann though.

Sure. Ostensibly that upgrade would be FS Brandon Meriweather.

Yup, some of these NFL GM's are acting like a kid with money burning holes in his pockets...

Really, since when is NE's 3rd CB, who's been on the injured reserve multiple times, and got burned a few different times by 3rd/4th WR's in 2007 worth $4.45M per year?

If that is that market, then I'd gladly hang on to the money and draft some of the top level CB's out of this years draft class. Chevis Jackson should go in the third round, and he'll be a better pro CB than Randall Gay.

You would have thought they'd have learned their lesson from the last time they traded for and overpaid a safety we franchised...:rolleyes:

What is lost in the shuffle is the guy who was supposed to be thoroughly enamored with both of our FA corners, Mangenius, didn't take a shot at either. Speaks volumes.

I certainly don't begrudge Randall though. He did what he could whenever he could, and from an UDFA what more could you expect?

Last edited:

Sure. Ostensibly that upgrade would be FS Brandon Meriweather.

I hope.

I also hope he learns how to successfully catch a football this off-season.

Starting CBs...

CB: Antwain Spann
CB: Ellis Hobbs

SS: Rodney Harrison
FS: James Sanders

Trust me folks, this will be worked on...
Mike Richardson would start over Spann, who will be lucky to be on the 53 man roster in September 2008.

In all honesty, it's almost sure to be for around 2 million a year, not 4.5. Nevertheless, congrats Randall.

I wasn't aware I crapped on every Pat who stayed with the team.

I wasn't aware that a poster with 3 total posts crapped on every Pat who didn't.

I wasn't aware that a poster with 3 total posts crapped on every Pat who didn't.

Wasn't just directed to him, as you'd notice if you actually... read the thread. Perhaps I shouldn't have quoted his post. Thanks for setting me straight.

In all honesty, it's almost sure to be for around 2 million a year, not 4.5. Nevertheless, congrats Randall.
The free agent market for cornerbacks and wide receivers has gone insane.

Wow. Nice pay day. Good luck. I hope the new Gay Saints jerseys look nice.

I also hope he learns how to successfully catch a football this off-season.

So true. How many INTs did he drop last year? 6-7?

Great news. Addition by subtraction. But JR4 must be pissed.:(

Last edited:
Wasn't just directed to him, as you'd notice if you actually... read the thread. Perhaps I shouldn't have quoted his post. Thanks for setting me straight.

I did read the thread. You did quote his post which, as you well know, implies that you are responding to it and directing your response to that poster. And It was my pleasure to 'set you straight'.

No big loss.

hey don't say that. you have nothing to complain about.

Gay played his butt off here and got paid crap every year.

You should remember what he did in the superbowl as a free agent rookie corner.

He did start in that SB, but could you remind me of what he personally "did in the superbowl"? I remember him getting burned by an injured TO....

How was Randall Gay getting "paid crap every year"?

He got paid what every young player makes, when they weren't considered elite coming out of college. Also, you should consider how the franchise paid him and treated him a little differently. He played 5 games in 2005, and 3 games in 2006, but the Patriots still kept him around at $1.3M in 2007. That's a pretty damn good pay for a guy who hadn't seen an entirely healthy season, and had spent most of his career on the IR! Also, at the time Gay said he was very thankful to the organization for continuing to believe in him, and keeping him around at that price. Now he finally stays healthy for most of the year (actually got injured again in the SB), and you think he didn't receive equal compensation for the time he spent with NE?

For the past year plus I've been saying some Pats fans overrated this guy a bit, and I think some of you still do just a little. Remember, the Patriots started a bunch of street free agents at CB back then (during that SB period you mentioned). Hank Poteat was going back to college when NE called. Earthwind Moreland was a throw away. Yet, they still got it done, and won the SB. That kind of tells you how strong the coaching, D-line, LB's, and Safety units (Rodney was a beast) back then, not how great or important those CB's were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes