PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN (Golic) Jets team to beat in the AFCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker didn't get hurt week 17. The damage he'd done over the season caused his knee to give out in week 17. If he'd sat out that game, he'd have blown the knee in practice the next week, or early in the ravens game.

The damage was already there.

From your statement, it would appear that you have first-hand knowledge of the condition of Welker's knee before the injury. What is your source?

Last edited:
Welker didn't get hurt week 17. The damage he'd done over the season caused his knee to give out in week 17. If he'd sat out that game, he'd have blown the knee in practice the next week, or early in the ravens game.

The damage was already there.

This statement just does not make sense. Welker has been making those cuts his entire career. I highly doubt that this season was the point in which it was simply "too much".

I have zero problem with a pundit saying the JESTs are currently the team to beat. Fact is, they went further than we did in post season. They've made decent FA moves, with maybe a slight downshift at RB. The D should still be strong. We're down a superstar WR for at least part of the season. The Sanchize will have that 2nd year, one that HOF Tom Brady said was a world of difference for a QB compared to year one. It's spot on to say that the kid is the major pivot point for the success or failure of the NYJ 2010 season.

That said...
1. The draft hasn't happened. Pats have a much better set of opportunities vs the NY Juggernaught
2. FA ain't over
3. Cuts from teams in TC will be more important this no cap year. Expect BB to sign vets for specialized roles.

Finally, it does not matter not even for a single point or single play in any game what anyone's opinion is at this stage or later stage. All that matters is the guys on the field and their preparation and execution of the game plan in regular season.

Last edited:
First of all, I never said that Jones sucked as a running back. But facts are facts. Jones had 331 carries to Greene's 108. Even then, Greene averaged 5 YPC while Jones had 4.2. Once Greene got his chance in the playoffs, he exploded and showed people who the best running back on that roster really was. He's also younger than Jones is and, above all, he is the reason why Thomas Jones (and his salary) became expendable at the end of the season. Greene is the running back of the future for the Jets and, as of right now, he is the better back of the two.

You can't compare averages between a full time back and a change of pace back. The change of pace back always have a higher average.

Greene ran really well for two games in the playoffs. I don't know how that showed anyone who the better back really was. Cincy had several defensive starters at less than 100%.

Thomas Jones was heads and shoulders the best RB on that team last year. Greene has the potential to be that good, but he has yet to show that he can be an every down back for a 16 game season and that the first two. We don't even know if Greene is going to be a good lead back in this league and now we are saying he is better than what was the third best RB last year. You are talking two games. Against Indy, he only had 41 yards.

I will say that Greene is younger and probably wouldn't tire out at the end of the season if he proves he is durable and consistent, but Jones was far better over the entire course of the season. One or two game does not mean anything especially if the other teams gameplanned to stop Jones and not Greene. The fact they they were trying to stop one running style and got a heavy dose of another can affect a defense.

I mean based one or two games, the Pats made mistakes not making guys like Mike Cloud or BenJarvus Green Ellis their lead back. Ah, remember all the BJGE talk this preseason because he was a beast in the 2008 season for one game?

I see a lot of facts about Greene's POTENTIAL, but I see absolutely no facts that states that he is guaranteed to be a 1400 yard, 12 plus TD RB in this league like Jones was last year. Greene was clearly the better RB in the playoffs, but I don't think you can argue he is definitely a better RB than what Jones was for the regular season.

Last edited:
This statement just does not make sense. Welker has been making those cuts his entire career. I highly doubt that this season was the point in which it was simply "too much".

Again, he wasn't cutting when he got hurt, and it wasn't "lifetime wear". When ACL's go while a guy is just running forward, its because the ligament was already frayed.

Again, he wasn't cutting when he got hurt, and it wasn't "lifetime wear". When ACL's go while a guy is just running forward, its because the ligament was already frayed.

That is speculation. There is a belief that he already had damage before he tore his ACL and MCL, but it is only speculation.

GOOD. I prefer the Pats to play the role of the underdog rather than the favorites. They don't seem to do as well when they are expected to win.

I dont understand these comments.
The Jets were a .500 team that got a 9th win against a team that gave up.
The Patriots were a 10 win team that didnt get their 11th because they didnt play to win in week 17.
Neither team has made any real significant changes.
How did the Jets pass the Patriots?

1) The Jets were a better overall team during the stretch of the last 1/4 of the season and the Patriots could not hold a lead to save thier lives.

2) The Patriots could not beat a team all season on the road (not including London) and you could see the team is a bit of dissaray down the stretch as well when leadership was totally null and void thus those 4th quarter farting the games away.

3) The statement that the Pats were not playing to win at Houston is stupid,The starters started the game and Brady would have finished the game if BB had more faith in his OL who was getting beat bad at the LOS in the 4th quarter but pulled him to save him for the Baltimore fiasco a week later.

If you think as of RIGHT NOW that the Patriots have more overall talent than a team with only 1 proven WR,one TE who has never played here,and no OLB with any real talent other than TBC...show me why you think this team is better right now. - If BB and Brady is your answer,its not enough any more,we need to have a GREAT draft to remain on course with the Jets and Dolphins.

You can't compare averages between a full time back and a change of pace back. The change of pace back always have a higher average.

Greene ran really well for two games in the playoffs. I don't know how that showed anyone who the better back really was. Cincy had several defensive starters at less than 100%.

Thomas Jones was heads and shoulders the best RB on that team last year. Greene has the potential to be that good, but he has yet to show that he can be an every down back for a 16 game season and that the first two. We don't even know if Greene is going to be a good lead back in this league and now we are saying he is better than what was the third best RB last year. You are talking two games. Against Indy, he only had 41 yards.

I will say that Greene is younger and probably wouldn't tire out at the end of the season if he proves he is durable and consistent, but Jones was far better over the entire course of the season. One or two game does not mean anything especially if the other teams gameplanned to stop Jones and not Greene. The fact they they were trying to stop one running style and got a heavy dose of another can affect a defense.

I mean based one or two games, the Pats made mistakes not making guys like Mike Cloud or BenJarvus Green Ellis their lead back. Ah, remember all the BJGE talk this preseason because he was a beast in the 2008 season for one game?

I see a lot of facts about Greene's POTENTIAL, but I see absolutely no facts that states that he is guaranteed to be a 1400 yard, 12 plus TD RB in this league like Jones was last year. Greene was clearly the better RB in the playoffs, but I don't think you can argue he is definitely a better RB than what Jones was for the regular season.

nothing like f'ing yourself over in the first sentence:lol2:
how about some facts to support your thesis, NFL.com doesnt lie.

Last edited:
Shonn Greene is a FA? We gotta go pick him up...

I bet Houston and Chicago felt great about their starting sophmore RB heading into last season too. How did that work out for them?

The Jets are the team to beat in the AFCE, considering they went 2-4 in it last year.

He wasn't running forward; he was cutting - not at a 90 degree angle, but cutting nonetheless.

I don't see why you can't compare the YPC averages between the two. Greene had less chances to run the football against the same competition and had a higher average on his carries than Jones did. The first time Greene had an opportunity to run the ball more than 10 times, he reeled off 144 yards in the game. By the end of the year, he had shown enough to effectively split time with Thomas Jones. By the playoffs, he supplanted Thomas Jones. In two playoff games he reeled off 263 yards and 2 TD's DESPITE the fact that the opposing defenses knew that the Jets were going to take the ball out of Sanchez's hands and put it directly into his. He constantly faced eight men stacked in the box and still put up that type of production while Jones spent that time on the sidelines watching the game. As for the Indy game, he only had 10 attempts and still managed to bring home a 4.1 YPC average. He probably would have had more had the Jets not fallen behind as quickly as they did in the second half and had to entrust in Sanchez to win the game.

As for Jones being the best RB on the team last year, it's really simple. He was effectively the ONLY featured RB on the team for the first 11 weeks of the season. The guy had 301 carries and is a good RB. I'm not suprised that he was able to turn in the stats that he did. However, Greene is younger and is a more powerful runner than Jones is. I'm pretty confident that, by the time the 2010 season is over and barring injury, Greene will turn in an equally, if not more impressive, performance. Meanwhile, Thomas Jones is going to turn 32 and isn't getting any younger. His salary on top of Shonn Greene's performance in the playoffs made him expendable. As for the BJGE assertion, that's pretty irrelevant. The majority of us with a brain knew that BJGE was not a very good RB before 2009 began. Jets fans now know what they have in Shonn Greene and how well he can perform in crunch time when teams are putting eight guys in the box (something that BJGE didn't see in his time here).

Really? He wasn't?

YouTube - Wes Welker Injury Week 17 @Texans

Since your eyes will probably "deceive you" :rolleyes: go to 1:14 seconds of the video for an excellent look at the cut. This is, of course, unless you beleive that Wes was going to continue to run straight in an attempt to run over the defender, something that Welker has never been known to do.

Finally, here is Brady (the guy that threw the ball and had one of the best views in the house of the injury) on the play in which the injury occured...

“Football is a very unforgiving game. You never know when that play is going to come. How many times has Wes made that cut over the course of his career? And sure enough it’s just his one time where the foot doesn’t land right.”

I think it's pretty easy to determine that Welker was cutting.

BINGO

It's actually BB's fault that Welker got....

I would not have dressed my most important receiver in a meaningless game.

gotta play. injuries are a freak occurence but you can't rest a player for risk of injury in a regular season game.

Honestly, I think they're one of the best pre-season picks in the history of the NFL. As much as I hate to admit it, I don't know how the hell anyone is going to beat them. 19-0 is pretty much a lock, which sucks.

gotta play. injuries are a freak occurence but you can't rest a player for risk of injury in a regular season game.

Our playoff positioning was all but wrapped up. There was no need to play Welker, Brady, Moss, or any of the big time starters in that game ESPECIALLY against a team who is known to play some dirty football and who was desperate to finish the season with the first winning record in their existance. BB should have received his own memo from 2005.

well, they did actually show up for their playoff games, which they won and won on the road; i think there are probably still a few fans at the Blade who've been sitting there since January, waiting for the Pats to show up for the Ravens game. and, don't tell me that the Bungles weren't that good, the Jets still had to play them on the road and don't tell me that the Chargers choke in January, the Jets still had to beat them in their house.

Ok, so what am I allowed to tell you?

Fact is, they shouldnt have been there.

Rex Ryan* is a cheater, and should get off his ass and walk on a tredmil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back