PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN (Golic) Jets team to beat in the AFCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the 2007 draft, Mike Golic also said on Mike & Mike in the Morning that Vernon Gholston was going to be a special player. I really don't think the guy has much of his own opinion. Rather, he just repeats what everyone else on ESPN says, like how the Jets and Mark Sanchise are on the rise.

Last edited:
Hail the Paper Champs!

Who cares? If the Jets are the team to beat in the AFC East or not, doesn't mean they will even come close to winning the division. Personally, I think the loss of Thomas Jones may be underplayed a lot. If Shonn Greene can't carry the load for 16 games, their offense has the potential to lose a lot of games even if they have the best defense in the league. Again, the Jets were 2-8 when Sanchez threw for 20 more more times last year and undefeated when he threw for 19 passes or less.

As for Cromartie, I have never seen so much accolades for a guy who was good for only a 9-11 game stretch his entire career. People look at the second half of the 2007 season as what Cromartie is and his other 3 1/2 years as a pro as a fluke.

maybe Belichick has to kiss Rex's rings?

wait a sec

:bricks:

The Jets have won the "offseason championship" every year since Gore invented the internet. Good for them.

It's March 24th. I could care less who ESPN thinks is the team to beat at this time of year. Come back and talk to me in October ESPN. I might listen. :rolleyes:

For something everyone says they don't care about and shouldn't care about, this board indicates that we sure seem to care a whole lot about it. It seems like every week there is a thread about it.

The Jets went further in the playoffs, the status of Wes Welker (arguably the Pats 2nd best player) is uncertain, and as of today the Pats have not added a player of any significance - of course a lot of people have the Jets as the current favorite in the AFC East. It is a logical argument to make.

The offseason isn't over and even when it is it won't matter. Preseason media polls have no impact on anything - this isn't college football.

I think a lot of people are fixated upon the Jets. Miami may turn out to be better.

I don't think you'll find a better team on paper.

Who cares, Golic is an idiot. On the other hand these aren't the 2003-2004 Patriots, There are legitimate reasons not to pick the Patriots to win the division, conference or Super Bowl. They just aren't the flat out best team in football anymore. It's OK if every sportswriter/TV personality doesn't pick the Pats. Does it always deserve it's own thread everytime a halfwit picks another team?

You've got a lull in basketball and hockey as all that's left to decide is a few playoff spots. Baseball is close but we're in the dog days of the preseason, so there's less to discuss there. The big wave of early free agency is over, and the draft is still a month away. They have to talk about SOMETHING, and this is the more interesting way to go about it.

How much fun would it be listening to talk radio show hosts (I know, I should probably end the sentence here) if they do nothing but predict that all the division winners are going to end up the same as last year?

Shonn Greene is a FA? We gotta go pick him up...

I personally don't know what people see in Greene. I was a huge fan of his in college, as I got to see him a lot, but I always thought of him as a good kid with natural instincts, lots of wiggle, but no outstanding athletic ability that would make me go: WOW!

He reminds me a LOT of Chester Taylor. Very similar running styles. I don't see what the big deal is, actually.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for the Patriots to have him. he will be a steady back for them, but no one is going to devise defensive strategy to stop him. Even last year, that offensive line (maybe the best running line in the NFL) was carving huge holes for him.

Is it just me or does it seem the media with the most face time is always from NY?

I listen to Sirius NFL radio, and every day it's either Carl Banks, Bob Pappa, Peter King, Adam Schein. I guess it helps that they broadcast out of NY.

Last edited:
The Jets definitely are better on paper right now. BB is gunna have to have an amazing draft for us to pass them.

18% is the average NFL Draft success rate as I have stated many times. Cousin if we get four quality NFL players out of the Draft it will be labeled as a monumental success. We have an 18% chance.

I love the Draft but let's get one thing clear with this present 2009 version we are tinkering with for 2010. We are at best, average in talent across the board (yes we have some great ones in Moss, Mayo, Wilfork and TB etc) and Welker lessens that talent pool with his injury.

I will say it again, if we do not get some quality Trades, RFAs or FAs from what is left in the cupboard, we are just treading water again, and no way this team does any better than 10-6 in 2010. Draft choices supplement your present talent or else you are classified as rebuilding when you have 6 or 7 rookies starting.

I have thought about that alot. What if 09 was actually the start of a Pats major rebuild (some have suggested that) and 2010 is the same and we are shooting for 2011 as our "back to the top" year? Are you happy to blow off 2010 as a fan? Thoughts out there?

As Parcells so eloquently stated "You are what your record is" and we were maybe the 10th to 14th place NFL team in talent and it reflected in our final standings. Yes injuries did not help but all NFL teams have injuries and BB never uses that out.

Two or three trades with some of those 12 Pats picks or the 18%ers for NFL proven young talent would go along way. I am not talking Patten or Crumpler.

Yes I am in the crazy Marshall camp. We have had Glenn and Fryar. They won games for us but gave us headaches too. At some point in his life Fryar grew up and still holds many NFL records. Glenn, not so much but he was serviceable. Marshall could "get it". One trade makes the dynamics of this team change to a major headache for D coordinators. Marshall is only 26.

I think a 25 year old kid buried in the wrong 4-3 system who other teams have expresses a desire for is Adam Carriker as a tech 5 DE. I don't see the love for Ordick. Penn St. picks if they are not LBs are usually like taking a Florida or USC WR. Iffy at best. Even if Drafted Ordick could take years to develop. Carriker has already been through the curve.

Chris Gocong is another case of a bad 4-3 fit. This kid is a 262lb outside pass rush OLB.

How about a #1 for 26 year old Ray Edwards? 11 sacks the last 11 games including the playoffs. Great Team mates made him what he is? Yes but Warren and Wilfork are not chopped liver. Why can't they make him a success here as well? At some point you have to admit the kid has talent at 6'5" 268 (2" taller and only 10 lbs lighter than Jarvis Green)and decent on the run (OLB like McGinnis?). Tell me who is better at #22 in this draft for a DE/OLB? No one I am sure. AND NFL ready. We work out a contract and the Vikings don't match (BB would love to get Chilly back!) the Vikes HAVE to take #22.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6keeHYRVaU

Contracts are all an issue. But look what you have to pay a Draft choice these days. I am not saying all these guys or even some but just some realistic ideas.
DW Toys

Last edited:
They won't have the #1 defense in the league again and the running game lost it's best player.

How do you know they won't have the #1 defense again next season? They haven't lost anybody of significance. As for the running game, they didn't lose Shonn Greene, who was by far that aspect's best player. They lost a good one in Thomas Jones, but the draft is deep at that position and they could pick someone up to fill his spot if they see fit. That O-Line is still the best in the AFCE. As of right now, the Jets are the team to beat in the AFCE. That could change before the beginning of next season.

I dont understand how a team that got a free ride into the playoffs, with a horrible qb, is "the team to beat".

This horrible QB has a weapon to work with- a traffic light.

They won't have the #1 defense in the league again and the running game lost it's best player.

===================================================

Any prediction on who may be the #1 D next season?

I'm thinking the Jets will be a top 5 D,

===================================================

Any prediction on who may be the #1 D next season?

I'm thinking the Jets will be a top 5 D,

I'm praying Eric Berry doesn't somehow fall to you guys in the draft...

Who cares about the AFC EAST?

The real important question is...Will Rex Ryan be under 300 pounds by week 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back