PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN (Golic) Jets team to beat in the AFCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Who cares about the AFC EAST?

The real important question is...Will Rex Ryan be under 300 pounds by week 1?

====================================================

He is close already. Last report was down to 320 from 350!

I don't know why, but I really don't hate Rex as much as I did this time last year

He seems to have calmed down a bit as a joker and big mouth and even proclaimed during yesterday's breakfast coaches meeting that Brady and Belichick were the best QB and HC in the league.

Last edited:

Was that before or after a cup of coffee and 15 minutes in the can?

How do you know they won't have the #1 defense again next season? They haven't lost anybody of significance. As for the running game, they didn't lose Shonn Greene, who was by far that aspect's best player. They lost a good one in Thomas Jones, but the draft is deep at that position and they could pick someone up to fill his spot if they see fit. That O-Line is still the best in the AFCE. As of right now, the Jets are the team to beat in the AFCE. That could change before the beginning of next season.

How was Shonn Greene by far the Jets' best RB last year? Thomas Jones was third in the league in rushing yards (1402 Yards) and rushing TDs (14) last year. Greene was not one or two in either of those categories.

Greene had a few impressive games in the playoffs, but was not nearly as impressive in the regular season. He had 504 yards and 2 TDs (both TDs were against the Raiders who quit in that game).

Seriously, I don't get why people minimize the impact of the loss of Thomas Jones. The guy was a top 3 RB last season and people act like he was above average and he was only above average because of the Jets o-line.

Just heard that Jets will be on Hard Knocks this season. This is GREAT! It's a win-win.

1) It will get the Jets fans all in a frenzy and make their expectations even higher. On paper, they have a terrific team - and the fans are aware of this. This should be fun.

2) You just know Rex and Company will be talking sh*t about every opponent on their schedule this season. Ah - making enemies and providing bulletin board material is awesome!

3) The ego's on that team are astronomical as it is - can you imagine the overconfidence it's about to have? I'm giddy. Now, of course, they can back all the talk up - and they did last year - so who knows. But I am looking forward to seeing how the Pats answer.

Last edited:
The Jets certainly RIGHT NOW have a better team than the Pats

The Pats are not well ahead of the dolphins at this point either,probably a dead heat for second considering Ronnie Brown will be back and they picked up Dansby and we lost Welker for some time ahead.

The Pats are not well ahead of the dolphins at this point either,probably a dead heat for second considering Ronnie Brown will be back and they picked up Dansby and we lost Welker for some time ahead.

....although Ronnie Brown most likely has a four game suspension coming his way to start the season. That KILLS their offense.....for four games, anyway.

The Dolphins also are without three starters from last season on defense and two of them are their two leading sackers and made up 33% of the team's sacks.

Just heard that Jets will be on Hard Knocks this season. This is GREAT! It's a win-win.

1) It will get the Jets fans all in a frenzy and make their expectations even higher. On paper, they have a terrific team - and the fans are aware of this. This should be fun.

2) You just know Rex and Company will be talking sh*t about every opponent on their schedule this season. Ah - making enemies and providing bulletin board material is awesome!

3) The ego's on that team are astronomical as it is - can you imagine the overconfidence it's about to have? I'm giddy. Now, of course, they can back all the talk up - and they did last year - so who knows. But I am looking forward to seeing how the Pats answer.

With the egos and talking on the Jets' team, this could be the worst thing for them. I hear Bart Scott is lobbying for his own segment on the show.

BTW, this is a huge coupe for HBO. The largest media market in the world with a coach and players who love to talk to the cameras. It might not be the best thing for the team itself, but it will make great television.

Last edited:
golic picks the jets ? there's a shock. i'd only be shocked if he didn't. he's just kissing up to his bosses.

I dont understand how a team that got a free ride into the playoffs, with a horrible qb, is "the team to beat".

well, they did actually show up for their playoff games, which they won and won on the road; i think there are probably still a few fans at the Blade who've been sitting there since January, waiting for the Pats to show up for the Ravens game. and, don't tell me that the Bungles weren't that good, the Jets still had to play them on the road and don't tell me that the Chargers choke in January, the Jets still had to beat them in their house.

I dont understand these comments.
The Jets were a .500 team that got a 9th win against a team that gave up.
The Patriots were a 10 win team that didnt get their 11th because they didnt play to win in week 17.
Neither team has made any real significant changes.
How did the Jets pass the Patriots?

The Patriots were a 10 win team that didnt get their 11th because they didnt play to win in week 17.

If they didn't play to win in week 17, then why were Brady, Moss & Welker not only dressed, but starting, with a PO game the very next week?

As for Golic's comments, TuckEverlasting is right: it would've been shocking if he hadn't picked the jesters.

Do what I've done, folks: do not watch, listen to or read anything from the 4-letter network, exc. for maybe draft info.

If they didn't play to win in week 17, then why were Brady, Moss & Welker not only dressed, but starting, with a PO game the very next week?

As for Golic's comments, TuckEverlasting is right: it would've been shocking if he hadn't picked the jesters.

Do what I've done, folks: do not watch, listen to or read anything from the 4-letter network, exc. for maybe draft info.

BINGO

It's actually BB's fault that Welker got....

I would not have dressed my most important receiver in a meaningless game.

Yes, they were handed a playoff spot last year. But they made it to the AFCCG. We washed out in the first round. What mediot would pick otherwise?

Sanchez could very well "screw it up", since I don't think he's that good.

IMO if we try to fix the pass rush and WR problems with draft only the JETS very well could be the team to beat.

They would probably have to do better than 2-4 in the division next year. Let's not get too excited about the Jets after all, they are the Jets.

I love the Draft but let's get one thing clear with this present 2009 version we are tinkering with for 2010. We are at best, average in talent across the board (yes we have some great ones in Moss, Mayo, Wilfork and TB etc) and Welker lessens that talent pool with his injury.

I've said this to you a hundred times, and I'll say it again: The word average does not mean what you think it does.

Average means middle. The Patriots are not a middle of the league team, nor have they been since about 1999. They're not a middle of the league team because they're don't have middle of the league talent.

There are a lot more bad teams out there than you think there are.

Now, I know being a debbie downer, and screaming that the sky is falling, is exciting, its tiresome, and the fact is, the Patriots are a pretty good team, and theres 20+ teams in the league who would kill for the talent they have.

BINGO

It's actually BB's fault that Welker got....

I would not have dressed my most important receiver in a meaningless game.

Welker didn't get hurt week 17. The damage he'd done over the season caused his knee to give out in week 17. If he'd sat out that game, he'd have blown the knee in practice the next week, or early in the ravens game.

The damage was already there.

Welker didn't get hurt week 17. The damage he'd done over the season caused his knee to give out in week 17. If he'd sat out that game, he'd have blown the knee in practice the next week, or early in the ravens game.

The damage was already there.

1st I'm hearing of this. Many felt the instability of the turf was the cuplrit that led to his knee injury.

I would be inclined to think that if BB and the medical staff felt WW could benefit from a week off and not risk further injury in a meaningless game, they would have had him sit.

Last edited:
How was Shonn Greene by far the Jets' best RB last year? Thomas Jones was third in the league in rushing yards (1402 Yards) and rushing TDs (14) last year. Greene was not one or two in either of those categories.

Greene had a few impressive games in the playoffs, but was not nearly as impressive in the regular season. He had 504 yards and 2 TDs (both TDs were against the Raiders who quit in that game).

Seriously, I don't get why people minimize the impact of the loss of Thomas Jones. The guy was a top 3 RB last season and people act like he was above average and he was only above average because of the Jets o-line.

First of all, I never said that Jones sucked as a running back. But facts are facts. Jones had 331 carries to Greene's 108. Even then, Greene averaged 5 YPC while Jones had 4.2. Once Greene got his chance in the playoffs, he exploded and showed people who the best running back on that roster really was. He's also younger than Jones is and, above all, he is the reason why Thomas Jones (and his salary) became expendable at the end of the season. Greene is the running back of the future for the Jets and, as of right now, he is the better back of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News