PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Envious of that Seattle Defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2014 over the last 8 games the Pats shut down every team in every second half.

i miss the 2014 defense we had. so deep at every position..

swag/passion/energy. we had it all. this defense is full of lethargic player.s.

The one that couldn't stop anything Baltimore threw at them for most of the game in the playoffs and got shredded to the tune of 400+ yards and 31 points?

Apparently we judge defenses by a single game on this forum.

I've been saying this for awhile, but this D is just not physical. Most teams smack you around, punch you in the mouth. We hit guys and bounce off. Very little turnovers. No intimidation, no fear. Just weak looking. It's amazing that BB would allow this. You can be disciplined and tough. Has he spread it too thin, or is there a chance of righting ship? I don't want to sound spoiled, but this team feels different. No clear, BIG leaders. Just too thin. IMO

I've been saying this for awhile, but this D is just not physical. Most teams smack you around, punch you in the mouth. We hit guys and bounce off. Very little turnovers. No intimidation, no fear. Just weak looking. It's amazing that BB would allow this. You can be disciplined and tough. Has he spread it too thin, or is there a chance of righting ship? I don't want to sound spoiled, but this team feels different. No clear, BIG leaders. Just too thin. IMO
The defense appears to be regressing into that you'd be happy to have them as your son-in-law rather than the corner bully types. The year the Pats turned into a bully on D, they won. Player, coaching, scheme, or all of the above?

Gotta get those picks for next year, you know. :rolleyes:

The one that couldn't stop anything Baltimore threw at them for most of the game in the playoffs and got shredded to the tune of 400+ yards and 31 points?

Apparently we judge defenses by a single game on this forum.

Came in to to post similair sentiments and about that defense also allowing the mediocre KC offense to kick that **** out of them.

Which i'm sure i'll get "ya but that changed the season" which is ironic given that we are only halfway through this season. Probably will also get "ya but that defense showed flashes of greatness before that Chiefs game"

Oh ya? Before that Cheifs game

Gave up 33 points to the dolphins
Held Matt Cassell and the Peterson-less Vikings to 7 points
Held a rookie QB'd Raiders to 9 points at home, a Raiders team that was 3-13 and was held to 14 or less points 10 times that year

You people envious of Seattle's defense do realize that the Pats only gave up 30 more yards than them, right and that's with the Pats gifting them 2 TOs. Seattle also was worse on 3rd down and gave up more 1st downs.

Same defense that just allowed Tyrod Taylor and the Bills to put up 425 yards and go 12 for 17 on 3rd downs.

I think our defenses actually played pretty similarly tonight.

Both offenses generally moved the ball at will.
Both defenses gave up huge yardage on third down on a couple plays.
Both defenses had critical goal line stands.

The KEY difference was their defense generated turnovers.

They also had no completely busted plays like we did that made us look totally incompetent.

I agree with OP on their tenacity and confidence, but think it's a funny night to say your envious of their D as they didn't have a spectacular night either.

You people envious of Seattle's defense do realize that they gave up only 35 less yards than the Pats, right and that's with the Pats gifting them 2 TOs.

Same defense that just allowed Tyrod Taylor and the Bills to put up 425 yards and go 12 for 17 on 3rd downs.

And you are blind if you think those defenses were equal.

Well they drafted good players won a Super Bowl then paid them and kept them.

The Patriots after about 5 years of terrible under talented defenses drafted good players two of who helped them win a Super Bowl did they pay them? Nope they tried to convince fans using the media they weren't good players and traded them and replaced them with inferior cheaper players.

Chandler Jones is a top 5 pass rusher in the NFL this year, Belichick lost that trade, Arizona clearly won that trade.

seattle's D didn't play that much better than new england's D. biggest difference was the two turnovers.

epuGaMs.jpg

Luckily we gave away two of our best defensive players for a 2nd round pick (aka future undersized corner who gets burned all the time) and essentially nothing in the case of Collins.

They traded Jones for the pick they turned into Thuney and Mitchell.

Thuney has been integral to their offense this year and a huge part of why the OL isn't a dumpster fire

I think our defenses actually played pretty similarly tonight.

Both offenses generally moved the ball at will.
Both defenses gave up huge yardage on third down on a couple plays.
Both defenses had critical goal line stands.

The KEY difference was their defense generated turnovers.

They also had no completely busted plays like we did that made us look totally incompetent.

I agree with OP on their tenacity and confidence, but think it's a funny night to say your envious of their D as they didn't have a spectacular night either.

One team was playing Tom Brady. Gronk, Bennett & Others aka a top offensive team the other wasn't.

Even though Seattle's D does play with "swagger", lays some good hits, etc. They also gave up a ton of yards, didn't put any consistent pressure on Brady, and had some struggles with stopping the run.

That's a good defense, but in my opinion, not great - and not worth being envious.

And yet that vaunted Seattle D gave up a higher percentage of third downs than our ****stain of a defense.

Both defenses have almost the same stats (Seattle got one more sack when Brady fumbled the snap at the end, allowed 20 less passing yards and 18 less rushing yards)

But sure lets be envious of that marginal gap.

I love comparing the stat lines of both defenses while completely ignoring who they were up against.

OP, you mean you aren't envious of the Patriots defense, which has no identity and isn't even in the right place a lot of the time?

Luckily we gave away two of our best defensive players for a 2nd round pick (aka future undersized corner who gets burned all the time) and essentially nothing in the case of Collins.

No they used that pick on Thuney and Mitchell and an extra $5M towards keeping their FAs.

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
I respect the hell out of that defense and really like the way the play the game. But I'm not envious of them. The Seahawks built their team completely differently than the Patriots. Just look at the positional spending:

The Seahawks spend $75 million of their cap space on the defense compared to $57 million for the offense.
The Patriots spend $74 million on offense and $52 million on defense.

I love comparing the stat lines of both defenses while completely ignoring who they were up against.

Baldwin, Kearse, Graham and Wilson are a pretty good offense. So I am not sure where you are going with that.

Also you are missing my point, try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST