PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Envious of that Seattle Defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have trouble even calling them pretty good. Definitely not all-world like the Patriots offense. And they have scored 12, 6, and 3 points in three of their games this year.

seattle's D didn't play that much better than new england's D. biggest difference was the two turnovers.

epuGaMs.jpg
3 turnovers ;)

I'm envious of Seattle's defense, too, at least as a whole when you remove tonight's stats.

No team has led the league in defensive scoring for 3 yrs in a row since the late 60s/early 70s Vikings, and the Seahawks are attempting to do it for the 5th year in a row. Obviously, they're doing something right on that side of the ball.

No team has led the league in defensive scoring for 3 yrs in a row since the late 60s/early 70s Vikings, and the Seahawks are attempting to do it for the 5th year in a row. Obviously, they're doing something right on that side of the ball.
They are terrific. When they shellacked the Broncos 43-8 in Super Bowl XLVIII and some anointed them as one of the greatest defenses of all-time I thought it was premature. But after the run having (and continuing) they deserve it. They play very well as a unit.

They are terrific. When they shellacked the Broncos 43-8 in Super Bowl XLVIII and some anointed them as one of the greatest defenses of all-time I thought it was premature. But after the run having (and continuing) they deserve it. They play very well as a unit.

That 2013 Seahawks defense is the best defensive team I've ever seen with the 2000/2006 Ravens in the discussion as well.

Avril/Bennett/Wagner/Chancellor/Thomas/Sherman are an incredible core of elite playmakers that is only rivalled by Ray Lewis/Reed/Suggs/Ngata/Adalius Thomas/Bart Scott/McAlister/Pryce

The 2006 Ravens were probably even better than their 2000 defense which required the front four to generate pressure. The 2006 defense did not have as big a front as 2000 team did, but they were able to line up in an insane amount of formations. The linebacking core of Lewis/Suggs/Thomas/Scott featured 4 Pro Bowlers, and the defense had 3 players who have been DPOY, including Lewis (perhaps second best MLB ever after LT) and the best FS of all time in Reed.

The 2006 Ravens defense just didnt get enough help from their offense. They held Manning to no TDs in the playoffs yet still lost because their offense mustered up just 6 pts.

Last edited:
That 2013 Seahawks defense is the best defensive team I've ever seen with the 2000/2006 Ravens in the discussion as well.

Avril/Bennett/Wagner/Chancellor/Thomas/Sherman are an incredible core of elite playmakers that is only rivalled by Ray Lewis/Reed/Suggs/Ngata/Adalius Thomas/Bart Scott.
For the last 20 years the 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers absolutely have to be there. Their pass defense was just insane. If I'm not wrong their pass defense is the best ever at outdefending the respective league average. The core of Sapp/Brooks/Barber/Lynch is also pretty elite.

If our D was good as Seattles then we would have won this game easy.
Logan Ryan once again getting burned, Coleman got burned too...our linebackers sucked against the Pass D.

The linebacking core of Lewis/Suggs/Thomas/Scott featured 4 Pro Bowlers, and the defense had 3 players who have been DPOY, including Lewis (perhaps second best MLB ever after LT) and the best FS of all time in Reed.

Greetings,
LT was a 3-4 OLB!!

Celticboy04

seattle's D didn't play that much better than new england's D. biggest difference was the two turnovers.

epuGaMs.jpg

Honestly, that is more proof that the numbers are meaningless. If you could not tell the differences in those defenses when watching the game, I don't know what to say.

Honestly, that is more proof that the numbers are meaningless. If you could not tell the differences in those defenses when watching the game, I don't know what to say.
Seattle's defense didn't play their A-game either. But unlike the Pats D they made the big plays when they needed them while the Pats D just discombobulated.

So if Ryan/Coleman/Harmon give up a bomb on 3rd and long its a gigantic issue but if the Seahawks do the same multiple times (Edelman, Dola, Gronk) it's something else because why?

Sorry but you cant have it both ways. Our elite offense lit up the Seahawks defense as much as their good offense had their day with our above average defense. The difference in this game were turnovers. Seattle forced them and deserved to win.

Baldwin, Kearse, Graham and Wilson are a pretty good offense. So I am not sure where you are going with that.

Also you are missing my point, try again.

The Seahawks have one of the worst offenses in the NFL this year. They've been garbage all season and torched this defense

The Seahawks have one of the worst offenses in the NFL this year. They've been garbage all season and torched this defense

Their past production might have had to do with their QB playing injured not being able to be mobile and now starting to get healthy but who cares right? Just details..

I'm not envious of the Seattle D. We put up 24 on them with our offense basically playing their B game. Our D is why we lost this game and poor play calling on both sides of the ball

Yep. The Patriots played poorly on offense. Committed two turnovers. Failed (due to bad execution, bad coaching, and bad refereeing) to score with a 1st and goal from the two. All that, and the Patriots still put up 24 points and 385 yards of offense.

The Seattle D is really, really good - the best in the league. But it's not like they shut the Patriots down. The Pats had more first downs and Brady completed 72% of his passes.

This game was lost by turnover margin and the Pats' inability to stop Seattle.

The defense you guys are envious the last 4 weeks

385 yards and 60% on 3rd down allowed this week
425 yards and 70.5% on 3rd down last week
375 yards and 60% the week before
445 yards and 47.6% week before that

Seattle's defense didn't play their A-game either. But unlike the Pats D they made the big plays when they needed them while the Pats D just discombobulated.

I guess that GL stand and getting to Wilson in the redzone on the drive where he got called for intentional grounding don't count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back