PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Emmanuel Sanders visting today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your logic makes zero sense to me. The Patriots have not had outside threats since Moss left. We've had TEs and Welker. So people are complaining that Brady focused too much on Welker? When Branch wasn't getting open? When Gronk was hurt?

It's one of the more bizarre pieces of reasoning that I've ever heard. Brady focused on Welker because he was open, because he was reliable, because we had no outside threats, guys who could get open, and his TEs were injured off and on.

People make it sound like focusing on Welker when you have nothing else is a problem.

I do agree that Welker was reliable and open...but you cant deny that Brady has forced the ball to him at times. He forced the ball to moss alot as well back in 09/10 before he was traded...come playoffs our offense has been very predictable.

we didnt have Elite players on the offenses that won us the superbowls.....Brady just threw to the open man whomever that was

theres something seriously broken on your offense when it can only muster up 13points and 17points in your last 2 playoff losses when you average around 35ppg during the regular season.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Steelers RFA WR Emmanuel Sanders visiting Patriots today. Pats could sign him to offer sheet that cap-strapped Steelers struggle to match.

I googled his name and all I got was that he is the KING of the fake injury during a game. :D

I swear I just heard Curran say on comcast sports show that we have made an RFA offer on Sanders. I put it here because I cant link to TV but can anyone confirm or deny?

Edit: Just looked back and see that previous posters have the twitter rumors too. Not sure who the twitter guys are and how reliable they are but I like hearing it from Tom E.

:D Is she hot?:cool:
Hey twitter picture makes her look hot but it's difficult to tell based on one picture.

If the Pats bring him in for a third won't they only have a 1st, 2nd and 4th round pick to work with in the draft? If we sign him are he and Amendola our starters (assuming they start two te and an rb)? I think Lloyd is better than him. I feel like wr is a position where just getting a bunch of decent guys won't work. I would rather have them get a high upside prospect in the draft and sign someone who isn't an RFA to battle for the second and third wr spot.

Not sure how I feel about Sanders. I've already had one disappointment today when I found out that Donald Jones wasn't 6'5. For some reason I thought he was. Ah well. Adding a lot of pure speed right now. No question about that. I was hoping for big and strong WR's, instead it looks like we are still in the quick, fast and small mode.

As for the draft pick, evidently they've decided that even in a deep draft for WRs, they weren't going to find anyone better than Sanders there. Especially when you consider that its very unlikely that anyone picked past 90 is going be an impact player his first year or two. After 3 years in the NFL, Sander is more likely to impact the Pats passing game now.

I'm starting to worry about my binky, Julian Edelman. Will there be any room at the inn?

Hey twitter picture makes her look hot but it's difficult to tell based on one picture.

If the Pats bring him in for a third won't they only have a 1st, 2nd and 4th round pick to work with in the draft? If we sign him are he and Amendola our starters (assuming they start two te and an rb)? I think Lloyd is better than him. I feel like wr is a position where just getting a bunch of decent guys won't work. I would rather have them get a high upside prospect in the draft and sign someone who isn't an RFA to battle for the second and third wr spot.

They may already know what they can/will get for Mallett, to replace the pick that they would lose for Sanders. At this point Sanders is a mature NFL WR who is much more likely to make an impact over the next two years than a newly drafted WR, particularly one drafted late in the 3rd round. Brady's clock is tick, tick, ticking. The time to go all in is here and now.

You figure one pick was probably going to be used on a WR prospect, so essentially we drafted Sanders with a 3rd rounder. He's just a little more expensive than a rookie would be but he is more proven in the league and likely a better option than anyone we'd get in round 3.

Not sure how I feel about Sanders. I've already had one disappointment today when I found out that Donald Jones wasn't 6'5. For some reason I thought he was. Ah well. Adding a lot of pure speed right now. No question about that. I was hoping for big and strong WR's, instead it looks like we are still in the quick, fast and small mode.

As for the draft pick, evidently they've decided that even in a deep draft for WRs, they weren't going to find anyone better than Sanders there. Especially when you consider that its very unlikely that anyone picked past 90 is going be an impact player his first year or two. After 3 years in the NFL, Sander is more likely to impact the Pats passing game now.

I'm starting to worry about my binky, Julian Edelman. Will there be any room at the inn?

Great minds think alike.

It seems it might be time to jettison the notion of finding WRs to match the TB system and just overhaul with a whole new system. As mentioned I think it was becoming stale and predictable and making it very difficult for new WR to become acclimated with. TB and WW were so zeroed in on each other that it might have set the bar too high for most players. TB wants to be comfortable with everyone as he was with WW and sometimes that is dangerous.

In 07 they revamped the whole thing and caught everyone by surprise. They also had the foresight to see that there was something special about Welker and that Moss still had it in him. Then again it does seem that whomever gets plugged in can do reasonably well with a great system and a elite QB. Time well tell.

I would rather have 5 solid targets then 2 spectacular ones. With our TEs and RBs that will be seeing balls on the ground AND in the air you dont need to waste too many resources on WRs when the QB has shown that he can win with decent ones.

Then, if the Colts and JEST games are any indication, they should bring back Edelperson.
I wouldn't mind that all. The thing is, contrary to media reports Amendola is not a Welker clone as many would like us to believe, even though he does a lot of things Wes can do. To me he's actually a superior version of Edelman. As is Sanders. Yesterday Bedard stated that the Pats planned to have Edelman as a direct back up to Amendola and perhaps platoon together at times. Poaching Sanders from the Steelers would put a damper on that, as both of them do everything Edelman does but better.

If he is kept he will no more than the 4th receiver in all likelihood.

I can see something like this happening if all transpires as expected:

• #1 WR - Amendola/Sanders, depending on scheme/gameplan
• #2 WR - Amendola/Sanders, depending on scheme/gameplan
• #3 WR - Brandon Lloyd, if restructured as 3rd down role player + depth
• #4 WR - Julian Edelman, depth to the other starters + core special teamer
• #5 WR - Core special teamer + depth to #3 WR (someone like Donald Jones if he makes the roster fits to this spot perfectly).

And if they have the roster space Matthew Slater as the #6 WR though its likely that the team only carries 4 real WR + 1 Slater (5 isn't really needed with Hernandez around) so someone like Jones will be on the outside looking in. I don't expect him to make the team either way unless neither Edelman or Lloyd return.

Of course, this all hinges on whether Edelman sees himself as a backup or if he believes he could be a starter elsewhere. Once again this all just merely speculation and not what I expect to happen.

We don't have a 4th, that went to the Talib trade. They have the following:

7a
7b

As far as wanting a "high upside guy," Sanders certainly fits that criteria. Many around the media are reporting it as the potential steal of the entire FA period.

Sanders was slated to start opposite of A.Brown in PIT this year when Wallace left, so if he's good enough there, he should be good enough here.

It's also possible (but unlikely in my opinion) that they could still retain Llyod on a cheaper deal as the WR3. That would be the best case scenario. If not, the WR3 position should go to someone in the draft or Donald Jones.

Any way you look at it, we are certainly improving our WR corps, which was the general idea.

After the whole abraham incident where he has not signed and people thought he did..i will wait until a "reliable source" confirms this. Don't believe pats offered him anything

I would rather have 5 solid targets then 2 spectacular ones. With our TEs and RBs that will be seeing balls on the ground AND in the air you dont need to waste too many resources on WRs when the QB has shown that he can win with decent ones.

I fail to see how we wouldn't have 5 solid targets? No matter what personnel you put on the field, it should be improved; particularly in the WR corps where the general object was to add more talent, depth, and more of an outside threat without the predictability of too many underneath routes.

WR

Amendola
Sanders
Llyod/Edelman (one of them)
D.Jones
draft pick + several vets for competition

TE

Gronkowski
Hernandez
Ballard
Fells/Hooman
draft pick OR several vets for competition

RB

Ridley
Vereen
Washington
Demps
Bolden

After the whole abraham incident where he has not signed and people thought he did..i will wait until a "reliable source" confirms this. Don't believe pats offered him anything

Haven't there been at least a few people already who reported it? I take it you don't view Leigh as a "reliable source?" I believe she has gotten everything correct so far.

So you don't personally believe that the Pats offered him anything then?

Is Tom E. Curran credible because that is where I heard it.

Is Tom E. Curran credible because that is where I heard it.

I only heard it from that random guy on twitter...did curran tweet it? I don't see it on his feed or anyone besides that random guy and that chick

Nothing from mort, rap, reiss, schefter

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft