PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman and Amendola: we should cut ties with one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I think it should be Amendola, but I understand $$$ would play a huge factor here, especially since Edelman is now a FA and Amendola's under a 5 year contract. How tied up are we moneywise to Amendola?? Anyone think he's a trade option? I would much rather keep around Edelman than Amendola, keeping both of them kinda restricts our offense. We need more big play explosiveness, just like we were saying last year.... and every year it seems. :bricks:

I honestly don't know why it doesn't get through to people that Amendola isn't going anywhere, his contract simply does not allow them to release him without taking a big cap hit and wasting money. He showed his toughness and played through a serious injury all season long despite the fact that it basically eliminated his greatest strengths as a receiver, the abilities to start and stop on a dime and make really sharp cuts DB's can't stay with. he will be a much better player when he is healthy and if he isn't worth his contract after next season they will release him then, right now it makes no sense at all.

What they need to do is find a way to re-sign Edelman, who had a breakout season and looks like he is just going to keep getting better. They need Dobson, Boyce, and Thompkins to work their asses off in the offseason and come in next season ready to put up big number. They need to add another high quality TE and another top flight WR to challenge and push the young WR's. this draft is deep and WR would be a priority for me in it, they can't have enough given how often they get hurt. And last but far from least, they need Gronkowski to get healthy and play an entire season.

be prepared....the knowers of all ,are soon to jump all over you & this thread :D

For the millionth time: Amendola isn't going anywhere. He costs more to cut than to keep.

Deus is right. We need an Amendola macro. The only way he's not here is if he's retiring.

For the record, If Edelman leaves, it will be another failure on mgmt's part, to figure out how to keep a potentially great player.

be prepared....the knowers of all ,are soon to jump all over you & this thread :D

That's because we know the one simple fact that you guys clearly cannot grasp, his contract is not going to allow them to release him this offseason. they aren't going to take an almost 3 million dollar cap hit to release Amendola when receiver is one of their biggest needs. It is not fanatasy football and there actually cap consequences for releasing players.

You want to keep playing in the land of make believe then go right ahead, you can start some threads about trading Mallett for Calvin Johnson while you are at it.

For the millionth time: Amendola isn't going anywhere. He costs more to cut than to keep.

Just asking the question guys! I mean, I didn't think it was an option but I've seen wierder things :confused2:

I honestly don't know why it doesn't get through to people that Amendola isn't going anywhere, his contract simply does not allow them to release him without taking a big cap hit and wasting money. He showed his toughness and played through a serious injury all season long despite the fact that it basically eliminated his greatest strengths as a receiver, the abilities to start and stop on a dime and make really sharp cuts DB's can't stay with. he will be a much better player when he is healthy and if he isn't worth his contract after next season they will release him then, right now it makes no sense at all.

What they need to do is find a way to re-sign Edelman, who had a breakout season and looks like he is just going to keep getting better. They need Dobson, Boyce, and Thompkins to work their asses off in the offseason and come in next season ready to put up big number. They need to add another high quality TE and another top flight WR to challenge and push the young WR's. this draft is deep and WR would be a priority for me in it, they can't have enough given how often they get hurt. And last but far from least, they need Gronkowski to get healthy and play an entire season.

If you think that Thompkins and Dobkins are the answer AF wideout than go ahead and expect the same. The Pats will never win with poor wideouts like that. Tate, Lloyd, Johnson, Thompkins, and Dobson??? This team continues to have poor offensive performances in the post season mainly due to Brady not having any targets to stretch the field and make big plays on the outside. Thompkins and Dobkins have very little upside.

For the record, If Edelman leaves, it will be another failure on mgmt's part, to figure out how to keep a potentially great player.

For the sake of argument...how many players have they failed to keep that continued to be "great" elsewhere? Welker, Moss, Givens, and Branch never saw that success again.
Having said that, I love Edelman...he has been my favorite Patriot for the past 3 years. Sadly, he will be offered a solid contact, but some team will overreach and make him a ridiculous offer he will gladly accept, leaving us with an empty, glaring hole at receiver.

I'm pretty sure we are not making any moves at receiver this offseason, so people are gonna have to deal with what we got. Worst case scenario is we let Edelman walk and pick up some other player. Hope that doesn't happen.

May see some changes to the tight ends though.

I never liked the Amendola signing. He was pretty much a no factor outside of the first game of the season against Buffalo. In a perfect world I would cut him and resign Edelman(I know this isnt an option, just saying). And I'm sick of the injury excuses. You think hes magically going to be healthy next season. He has never been healthy in his entire career.

Regardless we MUST RESIGN EDELMAN!

no,

It's just the people with even a rudimentary understanding of the concept of a salary cap.

there is a "cap cost to cut" and a "cap cost to keep"

when A>B, cutting is not an option, ever.

Trading is an option, but with little upside due to cost & injury history. We may give up a 7th rounder & Amendola to get a higher 7th rounder, I guess, if some team were so inclined

Nice! so we're stuck with amendola and we have to keep Edelman.:mad:

I never liked the Amendola signing. He was pretty much a no factor outside of the first game of the season against Buffalo. In a perfect world I would cut him and resign Edelman. And I'm sick of the injury excuses. You think hes magically going to be healthy next season. He has never been healthy in his entire career.

Regardless we MUST RESIGN EDELMAN!

So you mean he was dominant against Buffalo, but wasn't after he tore his groin?

If you think that Thompkins and Dobkins are the answer AF wideout than go ahead and expect the same. The Pats will never win with poor wideouts like that. Tate, Lloyd, Johnson, Thompkins, and Dobson??? This team continues to have poor offensive performances in the post season mainly due to Brady not having any targets to stretch the field and make big plays on the outside. Thompkins and Dobkins have very little upside.

Wow. What a terrible post.

I'm pretty sure we are not making any moves at receiver this offseason, so people are gonna have to deal with what we got. Worst case scenario is we let Edelman walk and pick up some other player. Hope that doesn't happen.

May see some changes to the tight ends though.

Not sure of this...they might grab a guy like Manny Sanders if the money is right. I doubt they'll go grab a beast, though.

Yes, and then when we do, we should complain if he knocks one of our DBs out of a game. A lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes