PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ed Reed released by Texans ... signs with Jets

re: Ed Reed released by Texans [Update: Picked Up By Jets]

BB has regularly signed players that fit that description. Heck, he signed a safety like that at the start of this year.

But that was training camp and the time to try out people. Not at week 10 with a player who has really lost a step or 2.

Nah, he was very average last year at best. He got burnt often on plays beyond 15-20 yards. Plus he had a significant hip injury that kept him out of the entire offseason and the first few games.

He was demoted prior to last week. He was sucking really bad in Houston.

He would be a good stopgap until Gregory gets back, but I would rather have Gregory at this point. Gregory is having a solid season.

Sounds like he would be useful in the red zone ...

Last edited:

But that was training camp and the time to try out people. Not at week 10 with a player who has really lost a step or 2.

Well that means Tavon Wilson then. Do you really think bringing in Ed Reed has no chance of being an improvement on that? And if Reed can be an upgrade on Wilson, why not do it when he won't be that expensive and has the added bonus of being a veteran presence that we know BB respects and values?

I keep asking but what is the downside?

Absolutely.

If he has nothing left, and isn't any better an option than Wilson, then he can be cut.

Exactly. With Gregory out, Reed would probably be third on the depth chart behind McCourty and Harmon which means he'll see about 10-20 snaps per game at most in dime formations. However, it keeps Tavon Wilson further away from the field and provides some coverage should we lose yet another defender at safety or CB to injury.

BB has regularly signed players that fit that description. Heck, he signed a safety like that at the start of this year.

Who from what we saw/heard was terrible. Sometimes it works out (when the player can play); other times it doesn't (when the player is burnt toast).

so how long on average does it take to clear waivers? (assuming he goes unclaimed)

Who from what we saw/heard was terrible. Sometimes it works out (when the player can play); other times it doesn't (when the player is burnt toast).

Sure but the point is, BB regularly signs this type of player. You may or may not like it, but you can't deny that BB signing Ed Reed has to be more than a possibility. He's right up BB's street.

so how long on average does it take to clear waivers? (assuming he goes unclaimed)

I think 4pm the day after he is waived is the SOP.

Just to be clear, if you claim him on waivers you are on the hook for his salary. If he goes unclaimed, you can sign him for the vet minimum and because his contract was guarenteed by the Texans, they would be on the hook for the whole thing, minus the vet minimum paid by whoever signs him.

So he is getting paid no matter what, I doubt he makes it through the waiver process, someone with a worse record than the Pats will most likley put in a waiver claim on him.

Last edited:

Yes I would take a flier if he passed through waivers.

Sure but the point is, BB regularly signs this type of player. You may or may not like it, but you can't deny that BB signing Ed Reed has to be more than a possibility. He's right up BB's street.

Midseason?

What if he gets picked up by some garbage team like the Jaguars or Vikings? Would he even report to the team?

Something tells me, that as a veteran, he should be left alone to clear waivers and choose where to go based on the teams interested. aka a better chance he comes to us after Bill calls him.

Midseason?

How often do this players become available mid-season and when they do, how often is there a clear roster position to fill that coincides (Gregory injury)? (And we play the Texans in three weeks).

What if he gets picked up by some garbage team like the Jaguars or Vikings? Would he even report to the team?

Something tells me, that as a veteran, he should be left alone to clear waivers and choose where to go based on the teams interested. aka a better chance he comes to us after Bill calls him.

If he gets the call, he's definitely coming to New England. Three reasons...

1. Play for Belichick.

2. Play the Texans.

3. Play the Ravens.

If he gets the call, he's definitely coming to New England. Three reasons...

1. Play for Belichick.

2. Beat the Texans.

3. Beat the Ravens.

That reads better.

How often do this players become available mid-season and when they do, how often is there a clear roster position to fill that coincides (Gregory injury)? (And we play the Texans in three weeks).

Personally, I think you're hoping and wishing for nothing--but that is simply a difference of opinions between us on this matter.

Ed Reed WAS a great player, as noted in the 2009 season documentary "A football life--Bill Belichick." All of the great things that he had to say were more based on the Ed Reed that was, not the current one who is coming off of a major hip surgery, is over the hill, and who hasn't been known for his great attitude.

On top of that we have a rookie in Daron Harmon who will see increased playing time until Gregory returns in a few games. It's hardly the end of the world and one would assume that not only does Harmon know the system much better than Reed ever could (even in a month or so), the coaches are also likely interested in seeing how their 3rd round pick may be paying off, and also assessing how big the need may be when Gregory is let go at the end of the year on the big cap number.

There's no way to know about Harmon unless he gets live game reps, and now that he's in a position to do that you're suddenly going to hope that old ass Ed Reed is going to come in, pick up the system, hobble around on his hip, and change his attitude all at once? I'm not buying it myself, but that doesn't mean that you may not be correct in the long run. We will have to wait and see how it plays out, and if Belichick is even remotely interested at this point.

Personally, I think you're hoping and wishing for nothing--but that is simply a difference of opinions between us on this matter.

Ed Reed WAS a great player, as noted in the 2009 season documentary "A football life--Bill Belichick." All of the great things that he had to say were more based on the Ed Reed that was, not the current one who is coming off of a major hip surgery, is over the hill, and who hasn't been known for his great attitude.

On top of that we have a rookie in Daron Harmon who will see increased playing time until Gregory returns in a few games. It's hardly the end of the world and one would assume that not only does Harmon know the system much better than Reed ever could (even in a month or so), the coaches are also likely interested in seeing how their 3rd round pick may be paying off, and also assessing how big the need may be when Gregory is let go at the end of the year on the big cap number.

There's no way to know about Harmon unless he gets live game reps, and now that he's in a position to do that you're suddenly going to hope that old ass Ed Reed is going to come in, pick up the system, hobble around on his hip, and change his attitude all at once? I'm not buying it myself, but that doesn't mean that you may not be correct in the long run. We will have to wait and see how it plays out, and if Belichick is even remotely interested at this point.

I'm not wishing or hoping for anything, merely predicting that I think he's an ideal BB signing. I've also said that I see him being behind Harmon the depth chart and remember, I'm probably the biggest Harmon advocate on PatsFans. all I'm saying is that I think it's a likely signing and that there is almost no downside to it so where's the harm. Unless of course you want Tavon Wilson getting more reps :p

Assumption #1: Ed Reed is better than Tavon Wilson.
Assumption #2: Steve Gregory is going to be out a little while.
Startling Realization: Tavon Wilson is one injury away from playing 60 snaps a game.
Conclusion: The Patriots should sign Ed Reed.

Well that means Tavon Wilson then. Do you really think bringing in Ed Reed has no chance of being an improvement on that? And if Reed can be an upgrade on Wilson, why not do it when he won't be that expensive and has the added bonus of being a veteran presence that we know BB respects and values?

I keep asking but what is the downside?

The downside is his mouth if he gets benched. What if Gregory gets back this season and Reed gets benched. He wont like that and he is a veteran close to retirement so he'll be running his mouth. Not much you can do to change that at this point in his career. You have to take into consideration how his addition affects the locker room. If he decides at some point not to be positive that cannot be good. Houston obviously didn't think he was worth the trouble.

With that said am not against this move at all. Just an answer to your question.

I don't if the man can still play or not - I want to see Ed mf Reed in a Pats jersey!

The downside is his mouth if he gets benched. What if Gregory gets back this season and Reed gets benched. He wont like that and he is a veteran close to retirement so he'll be running his mouth. Not much you can do to change that at this point in his career. You have to take into consideration how his addition affects the locker room. If he decides at some point not to be positive that cannot be good. Houston obviously didn't think he was worth the trouble.

With that said am not against this move at all. Just an answer to your question.

The minute he runs his mouth off is the minute he should be cut so I just don't see the downside. I take your point though.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back