PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ed Reed released by Texans ... signs with Jets

re: Ed Reed released by Texans [Update: Picked Up By Jets]

Who cares if he has lost a step. He is a vet presence. We just lost Gregory for God knows how long. if we bring him in and he can't play then cut him like the Texans.

If he picks up the D quickly the secondary of McCourty, Reed Talib and Dennard would be legit.

I see no reason not to bring the guy in ( probably cant get him of waivers due to salary cap am i correct? ) .

It would be pretty funny if someone like the Jags put in a waiver wire claim hahah

The OTHER 2 downsides, in addition to his potential locker room disturbance (which I hadnt necessarily heard before about him - at least no where near to the level it has been repeated in this thread)....

1. 53 MAN ROSTER. It is a 0-sum game. At this point in the season it is a little bit of cheating to just say "SIGN THE BEAST". It is not like it is TC and you can give him a whirl for a week or two and then walk away. You have to SAY WHO YOU ARE GOING to CUT (or try to get to the PS), if you want him. It seems like everyone is convinced Tavon should go; but I think he has value, not sure Ed Reed is doing much ST plays and Tavon knows the system (which leads to pt 2).

2. D playbook. He would be walking in cold at week 11. How long will it take him to learn the playbook - signals and get on the same page w/ the other DBs. BB and a number of analysts have made the point that secondary work is a lot based on communication. When they arent all on the same page; they get exploited. so how long does it take him to get up to speed.

It would be cool to see a guy BB thinks is a water-walker come play. But then again; the last guy that BB had a man-crush on and picked up was Ocho :bricks: (ouch that hurts just thinking about it.)

I'll leave it in the hands of BB (as if he was waiting for my line to get free to ask my advice); if he thinks Reed still has some juice left; I'm sure he will call (once he is a FA).

Regardless of what I think about bringing in the grizzled one, I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the Patriots season would not be lost if they had to cut Jake Bequette in order to make room for Ed Reed.

Ed Reed is like my '98 Subaru: broken down, rusted, limping along on fumes. A shell of its former self.

Sign the beast.

As the Texans have paid the man, I can't see any downside to this signing.

As the Texans have paid the man, I can't see any downside to this signing.

wasted roster spot? Because he is a waste these days

Just a fair question for everyone saying Ed Reed is a shell of his former self...
How many Texans games have you seen this year?
And how closely were you monitoring Ed Reed's play?

Figure you have to answer both questions in the affirmative for your critique to be legitemate.

So, this means we do in fact have confirmation that Ed Reed is indeed homeless and that he will catch interceptions for food?

homelessed02.jpg

IMO his knowledge and leadership that he could pass on to our secondary without even playing a snap is worth more than keeping an injured kick returner who's best skill is arguably the most irrelevant one in the game today.

Add in the fact that we could use depth at safety, this seems like minimal risk with huge upside.

If anything ed reed has inside knowledge of the ravens for this year and beyond. while baltimore may not make the playoffs this year, they will be back next year and every bit of info helps....we can rent reed for the rest of the season and get all the ravens details. Reed and John Harbaugh do NOT get along. in fact he ran his mouth about the ravens coaching staff last year and they did not want him back. maybe he'll spill the beans on them.

A waste of a roster spot, really?

• Jake Bequette
• Chris Barker
• Steve Beauharnais
• James Develin
• Mark Mulligan
• Laquan Williams
• Tavon Wilson

If Ed Reed is a waste of a roster spot what are these players?

He was cut because hes a malcontent, its the same reason the ravens made zero effort to resign him. hes not a good locker room guy, and just threw his new teams coaching staff under the bus.

i'd take a look at him, but hes not exactly a top 32 safety anymore.

Wait a minute. We throw his team's coaching staff under the bus all the time. Ed Reed was just channeling his inner [YOUR SCREEN NAME HERE]!

Sign the beast.

IMO his knowledge and leadership that he could pass on to our secondary without even playing a snap is worth more than keeping an injured kick returner who's best skill is arguably the most irrelevant one in the game today.

Add in the fact that we could use depth at safety, this seems like minimal risk with huge upside.

I don't think Ed Reed can teach the Pats secondary how to play like Ed Reed. His game is all instinct and dependent on being able to cover a lot of ground quickly. His legs are shot (and he has a bad hip). Houston spent a lot of money on him, if he had anything left he'd still be there. He's been a bit of a loose cannon with his mouth of late as well.

I don't think Ed Reed can teach the Pats secondary how to play like Ed Reed. His game is all instinct and dependent on being able to cover a lot of ground quickly. His legs are shot (and he has a bad hip). Houston spent a lot of money on him, if he had anything left he'd still be there. He's been a bit of a loose cannon with his mouth of late as well.

I have to disagree with your post, I think Devin McCourty is on the cusp of becoming that special type of safety that Ed Reed was. They have a similar playing style and McCourty has the skill-set that Reed had in his prime, if bringing in Reed for the next 7-10 games can help take McCourty to take that last step to become the unquestioned best safety in the NFL I am all for it.

You may be right on all accounts. I still think picking him up at a vet minimum or similar has too much potential to ignore. If it doesn't pan out, it pales in comparison to the unfortunate manner in which many of our other personnel decisions have panned out this year.

OT: Ed Reed released

A waste of a roster spot, really?

•Jake Bequette
•Chris Barker
•Steve Beauharnais
•James Develin
•Mark Mulligan
•Laquan Williams
•Tavon Wilson

If Ed Reed is a waste of a roster spot what are these players?

Spot warmers

You may be right on all accounts. I still think picking him up at a vet minimum or similar has too much potential to ignore. If it doesn't pan out, it pales in comparison to the unfortunate manner in which many of our other personnel decisions have panned out this year.

Exactly. There is just too much upside with too little downside.

At worst he is an injury replacement for gregory. BB loves him and you can bet he will play him on special teams as well to block punts e.t.c

I am sorry i know he may have nothing left but if i am this team and we know we are heading into the playoffs... this has to much upside for me to ignore atm. Especially with Gregory's injury uncertainty.

What about picking his brain for how the Ravens were able to be competitive against us (and teach McCourty what he can).

And we do play @ Baltimore, Sun, Dec 22 @ 8:40 PM :D

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back