PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ed Reed released by Texans ... signs with Jets

re: Ed Reed released by Texans [Update: Picked Up By Jets]

Assumption #1: Ed Reed is better than Tavon Wilson.
Assumption #2: Steve Gregory is going to be out a little while.
Startling Realization: Tavon Wilson is one injury away from playing 60 snaps a game.
Conclusion: The Patriots should sign Ed Reed.

Perfectly stated.

Assumption #1: Ed Reed is better than Tavon Wilson.
Assumption #2: Steve Gregory is going to be out a little while.
Startling Realization: Tavon Wilson is one injury away from playing 60 snaps a game.
Conclusion: The Patriots should sign Ed Reed.

Just imagine our second round special teamer Tavon Wilson against the Broncos if Harmon were to go down... about 10-15 yards behind Decker/Thomas on a routine play action pass down the seam. :eek:

Just imagine our second round special teamer Tavon Wilson against the Broncos if Harmon were to go down... about 10-15 yards behind Decker/Thomas on a routine play action pass down the seam. :eek:

Based on comments from the Texans board, it sounds like that scenario would be equally plausible with Reed on the field.

Unless of course you want Tavon Wilson getting more reps :p

Understanding that you are joking of course:

Eventually, I would actually like that--in the right setting in garbage time of course. I think that Wilson is going to have to have his role tweaked a bit and/or learn to play with some different techniques. That said, I think he's sucked for the most part, but I'd like to see him play in garbage time a bit and aren't totally ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Then again, I wasn't ready to throw the towel in on D.Butler or B.Tate either, so that may speak to my poor scouting technique ;)

Here is an article from today, speaking of both the pros and the cons on the potential to bring in Ed Reed, so if you haven't already seen it, it may be worth a view to you:

Ed Reed Once Again Attractive Option for Patriots, But Safety Won?t End Up in New England | New England Patriots | NESN.com

BY5xzuSIIAA1Igr.jpg:large

NFLN twitter lol.

35 and already going grey. That's all I need to know. Football is a young man's sport.

Doesn't Reed play FS? So he would not be a Gregory insurance policy.

I dunno. Old, slow and oft-injured is not what we need right now. On the other hand, what choice do we really have. My guess is BB brings him in for a look to see if he can add anything to the party, like brains instead of speed.

Doesn't Reed play FS? So he would not be a Gregory insurance policy.

Harmon's the Gregory insurance policy but we need a 3rd safety in certain sub -packages (when McCourty moves up to the 'money' position).

35 and already going grey. That's all I need to know. Football is a young man's sport.

The grey hair argument has persuaded me.

Dumbest comment I've seen in a while.

Based on comments from the Texans board, it sounds like that scenario would be equally plausible with Reed on the field.

No it wouldn't. He wouldn't be what he was before, but from I've seen of him this year, he's still better than Tavon Wilson.

Harmon's the Gregory insurance policy but we need a 3rd safety in certain sub -packages (when McCourty moves up to the 'money' position).

Although If Reed isn't an option and Talib is on track to be back it would not surprise me to see Logan Ryan play as the 3rd safety.

Which I would welcome over Tavon Wilson seeing the field.

manxman said:
I'm not wishing or hoping for anything, merely predicting that I think he's an ideal BB signing. I've also said that I see him being behind Harmon the depth chart and remember, I'm probably the biggest Harmon advocate on PatsFans. all I'm saying is that I think it's a likely signing and that there is almost no downside to it so where's the harm. Unless of course you want Tavon Wilson getting more reps :p

The OTHER 2 downsides, in addition to his potential locker room disturbance (which I hadnt necessarily heard before about him - at least no where near to the level it has been repeated in this thread)....

1. 53 MAN ROSTER. It is a 0-sum game. At this point in the season it is a little bit of cheating to just say "SIGN THE BEAST". It is not like it is TC and you can give him a whirl for a week or two and then walk away. You have to SAY WHO YOU ARE GOING to CUT (or try to get to the PS), if you want him. It seems like everyone is convinced Tavon should go; but I think he has value, not sure Ed Reed is doing much ST plays and Tavon knows the system (which leads to pt 2).

2. D playbook. He would be walking in cold at week 11. How long will it take him to learn the playbook - signals and get on the same page w/ the other DBs. BB and a number of analysts have made the point that secondary work is a lot based on communication. When they arent all on the same page; they get exploited. so how long does it take him to get up to speed.

It would be cool to see a guy BB thinks is a water-walker come play. But then again; the last guy that BB had a man-crush on and picked up was Ocho :bricks: (ouch that hurts just thinking about it.)

I'll leave it in the hands of BB (as if he was waiting for my line to get free to ask my advice); if he thinks Reed still has some juice left; I'm sure he will call (once he is a FA).

I would be willing to be that Reed still has something left in the tank. Ed Reed may not have done well in Houston but what defensive player is this season? Joseph, Manning, and Jackson are all having down years in the secondary. This is one of the greatest secondary players to ever take the field, he had 58 tackles, 15 pass defends, 4 interception and 3 fumble recoveries last season those are actually right on par with his average season 55.4 tackles, 12.6 pass defends and 5.54 interceptions. Bring Reed in give him a chance to win and I seriously expect him to play at a high level, I wanted him over Adrian Wilson in the offseason and now we have another shot, given the on the field experience we’ve lost with Wilfork, Kelly and Mayo his presence will certainly benefit us.

When do we find out if another team puts a claim on him?

When do we find out if another team puts a claim on him?
Tomorrow at 4:00 Eastern time.

He just didn't fit in Houston. Plain and simple. Wasn't happy with some of the playing time and some coaching decisions either.

I honestly think he'd be a good fit for us if signed.

Although If Reed isn't an option and Talib is on track to be back it would not surprise me to see Logan Ryan play as the 3rd safety.

Which I would welcome over Tavon Wilson seeing the field.

I've thought for a while that Kyle Arrington at safety could potentially be interesting, too. He's nowhere near the athlete that McCourty is, but he's similar in that he's a holdover from back when they played a primarily zone-based scheme, and his strengths are primarily evident when he's playing zone, facing the QB, and reading and reacting. It's when he's asked to stay with a guy in coverage that he gets lost, but that's true of most safeties anyway.

Obviously the Pats are comfortable keeping him at corner, for whatever reason, but the depth at safety is thin enough that it wouldn't shock me to see either of Arrington or Ryan take some safety snaps at some point.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back