PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ed Reed released by Texans ... signs with Jets

re: Ed Reed released by Texans [Update: Picked Up By Jets]

It doesn't necessarily have to be either/or. When we're in dime, McCourty steps up to the 'money' position which would mean all three would be on the field (Harmon in for Gregory). It would keep Tavon Wilson off the field...and I'm not saying whether that's a good or bad thing.

Great point. Please, no Tavon on the field Peyton Manning. :)

Man, I want Reed so bad. Would give them a lot of options in the secondary when there are inevitably more injuries.

No one is claiming Reed off of waivers. He will be available after he clears waivers.
Correct. Nobody is that desperate.

Correct. Nobody is that desperate.

Not so fast. I'm pretty sure someone is gonna claim him. Dude can still play

I didn't want him this offseason, and don't really want him now.

Although, I wouldn't mind the addition at the vet minimum with $0 guaranteed... and him knowing that he's not being brought in to play 40+ snaps per week.

THAT'S the difference.

This past offseason, he would have commanded multi-years with some guaranteed money and Adrian Wislon was already in the house.

Now, he could come over at the vet minimum with no guarantees and all he has to be is better than Tavon Wilson at this point.

I don't think there is another HC who has studied Ed Reed the past 10 years as closely as BB (other than Rex Ryan, ironically). Belichick is a certified Reedologist. If he has nothing to offer, then Reed won't be here. But if he does, BB may have the opportunity to get him now.

Not for the money that team would be on the hook for, not only to Reed but to the Texans as well.

jets will pick him up.

Which team claims him then?

Reed is a $412,000 a game rental, for a clutch/vet leadership/depth guy.

Any team that is contending is up against their cap and can't afford that. Any team that is not contending, and has ample cap space, has no need for Ed Reed.

The only candidates I can think of to claim him are Cincinatti (desperate to stop their slide, money to burn) and Indianapolis (they've arguably made 2/3 of the worst moves this league year, so why stop now).

jets will pick him up.

The Jets/Idzik have worked hard to set themselves up financially for the next few years and look like they've finally undone Tannenbaum's blunders. They're not going to muck it up for half a season of Ed Reed.

no one will claims they will wait until he is a FA and then he can pick his team and it will be the jets ravens or pats if any of them want him

jets will pick him up.

my first thought when I saw this thread.

I've never understood the thinking that a good player makes a good teacher.
Mostly, over time, the opposite has been proven in sports.

Andy you are right about great players being horrible teachers, this would be especially true with Reed, as his instincts are what made him great, can't teach that. Mainly great players make bad coaches because they have a hard time dealing with players who aren't as talented and are alos not willing to put in the effort to be great. Every truely great player in any sport, not only usually has tremendous physical skills (cough, aside from TFB), but has a work ethic second to none. Both of which are impossible to teach.

That being said, I saw an interesting BB tidbit last week, he was wired for sound while coaching the Pro Bowl. He went up to Ed Reed and basically told him he had no responcibilites whatsoever in the defense. He just wanted him to read the QB and BB told him,"if you do that, I gaurentee you will have 3 picks" and sure enough, he did. Now, I highly doubt BB would let Reed do that in a real game, and at his age, but if you ask me, who I'd rather have a safety for the rest of the year, a rookie or an agin Ed Reed, I'm gonna go with Ed Reed.

BTW, just scored tickets to MNF in Carolina!!!!!!

I'm really not that sure he can play. But with Gregory's injury, It's worth looking into.

Belichick has a crush on Reed, but seriously no thanks.

I don't thin any is going to gamble on a taking him at 1.2 million the rest of the year(salary+plus money to Texans). And 62,500 roster bonus per game.

But of course I said that with Randy Moss in 2010 when Vikings released him and with Babin last year.

Say goodbye to bad rubbish...he's not even a shell of his former self which is saying nothing.

Many people (mainly non-Pats fans [no pun intended]) were saying Rodney Harrison was a washed up thug when San Diego cut him. Now I'm not necessarily saying Reed has the same left in the tank as Harrison had back then. But I'm not taking his performance over the last couple months with the Texans* as all that illustrative of his potential here with BB & Co running the show.

*the Texans suck, their staff sucks mightily, with or without Reed.

---------------------------------------------

I say snap him up! If there's anyone in the league that can get good play out of Reed it's BB. If he really is done it only costs a roster spot fir a few weeks.

It would be interesting to get the official word from our capologists what it costs to claim him -- I would think it would be expensive. His contract is pretty complicated -- it was basically a $6 million deal for 2013 with $5 million guaranteed. The guaranteed money, though, had three components: signing bonus, advance salary, and roster bonus.

Of the remaining $1 million, he's earned a bit more than half of it already. What I don't really understand is how much signing him would eat into the 2013 cap -- is there a cap allocation for the money that has to be reimbursed to the Texans for a little under half of the $2 million salary advance if he's claimed? I would think so. How about the signing bonus? Is that shouldered entirely by Houston even if he gets claimed?

If he costs upwards of $2 million in cap space to claim, it seems like it would be tough to do.

Pats had an opportunity to land Reed when he became a FA. They weren't interested.

He wasn't that good last season in Baltimore and he has been downright horrible this season in Houston. I would be extremely disappointed if we signed this guy. Thankfully, Belichick isn't dumb enough to do that.

I don't think we claim him but I think we sign him if/when he goes unclaimed.

Maybe his agent can send out some feelers about where he would not want to go, if claimed (Jets for example), and that he'd retire rather than play for teams without a legit shot at a title.

I wouldn't be surprised if he already has NE in mind as his preferred destination.

Many people (mainly non-Pats fans [no pun intended]) were saying Rodney Harrison was a washed up thug when San Diego cut him. Now I'm not necessarily saying Reed has the same left in the tank as Harrison had back then. But I'm not taking his performance over the last couple months with the Texans* as all that illustrative of his potential here with BB & Co running the show.

*the Texans suck, their staff sucks mightily, with or without Reed.

---------------------------------------------

I say snap him up! If there's anyone in the league that can get good play out of Reed it's BB. If he really is done it only costs a roster spot fir a few weeks.

The big difference is Harrison was 31. Ed Reed is 35

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back