PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ed Reed released by Texans ... signs with Jets

re: Ed Reed released by Texans [Update: Picked Up By Jets]

Jets released Rontez Miles

Calling out his team and his coaches after the weekend might have had something to do with him being shown the door.

I wouldn't mind if he signed here but I wouldn't get too excited. He got cut for a reason. Maybe that reason was that his contract was too big, but that doesn't typically happen during the season since they're paying his full salary anyway.

He was cut because hes a malcontent, its the same reason the ravens made zero effort to resign him. hes not a good locker room guy, and just threw his new teams coaching staff under the bus.

i'd take a look at him, but hes not exactly a top 32 safety anymore.

His play doesn't look to me like the reason he got cut. He isn't what he used to be, yeah, but he's not as bad as some are making him out to be. He said to the media that the Texans were out-coached this weekend so there may be something in the locker room. If he makes it to the Pats, I would like to see them give him a look.

He was cut because hes a malcontent, its the same reason the ravens made zero effort to resign him. hes not a good locker room guy, and just threw his new teams coaching staff under the bus.

i'd take a look at him, but hes not exactly a top 32 safety anymore.

If this is true, then your reasoning above is why he won't be brought here.

BB loves Reed. Merely from a training perspective I think he'd love to sign him on the cheap. If we get him off waivers he'll only cost 440,000.

I can't imagine he became done overnight. He was pretty solid last year.

FWIW he said their team was outcoached this weekend. They had no choice but to cut him.

Oh, you'd be surprised at how advancing age creeps up on you suddenly, and takes back without warning that which you thought was yours...especially if you're a professional athlete!

I wouldn't mind BB giving him a shot. But I doubt he goes through waivers unclaimed. I have a feeling the Jets are going to get him.

Well, questioning your coaching staff (saying the team was out-coached), and not playing at as high a level as in the past are good ways to get shown the door. Wonder where he'll end up.

I wouldn't mind BB giving him a shot. But I doubt he goes through waivers unclaimed. I have a feeling the Jets are going to get him.

I'm not sure he has to clear waivers, I am pretty sure there's a clause for veterans with a certain amount of years that makes them UFA automatically, but I am not sure if that applies to in season or just the offseason.

(Note: I actually like Harmon. I just don't like rookie safeties in general)

Would you guys rather Harmon start against Peyton Manning or a near cooked Ed Reed? I feel atleast Reed won't blow assignments and is familar with peyton's nonsense. He could help us in that game with Gregory out.

Not that intrigued. I would welcome some depth and a vet with his experience but our secondary including our depth has been a strength of this team and I dont see the need.

I don't think he "lost" it like people are saying. Did you see him play last year? He played very well for the Ravens. I just don't think he fit in Houston to be honest.

I'd love to see him in a Patriots jersey

I'm not sure he has to clear waivers, I am pretty sure there's a clause for veterans with a certain amount of years that makes them UFA automatically, but I am not sure if that applies to in season or just the offseason.
He's on waivers since he was released after the trade deadline.

I didn't want him this offseason, and don't really want him now.

Although, I wouldn't mind the addition at the vet minimum with $0 guaranteed... and him knowing that he's not being brought in to play 40+ snaps per week.

(Note: I actually like Harmon. I just don't like rookie safeties in general)

Would you guys rather Harmon start against Peyton Manning or a near cooked Ed Reed? I feel atleast Reed won't blow assignments and is familar with peyton's nonsense. He could help us in that game with Gregory out.

It doesn't necessarily have to be either/or. When we're in dime, McCourty steps up to the 'money' position which would mean all three would be on the field (Harmon in for Gregory). It would keep Tavon Wilson off the field...and I'm not saying whether that's a good or bad thing.

Something else to consider:

A team that claims Ed Reed would owe him $412k, plus $62.5k for each game that he is active; in addition that team would also owe Texans $824k for Reed's salary advance.

No one is claiming Reed off of waivers. He will be available after he clears waivers.

Something else to consider:

A team that claims Ed Reed would owe him $412k, plus $62.5k for each game that he is active; in addition that team would also owe Texans $824k for Reed's salary advance.

As far down the waiver list as the Patriots are, it probably makes more sense for them to let him slip through and then talk with him.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back