PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ed Reed released by Texans ... signs with Jets

re: Ed Reed released by Texans [Update: Picked Up By Jets]

A team wouldn't owe him that amount of money if he went unclaimed and THEN signed him..would they?

Pats had an opportunity to land Reed when he became a FA. They weren't interested.

He wasn't that good last season in Baltimore and he has been downright horrible this season in Houston. I would be extremely disappointed if we signed this guy. Thankfully, Belichick isn't dumb enough to do that.

Reed was commanding a considerable amount of money in free agency, at least more than the Pats were willing to spend. If he passes through waivers, that will change.

A team wouldn't owe him that amount of money if he went unclaimed and THEN signed him..would they?

Nope. They can sign him to a new contract.

For all the bashing Belichick got for not signing him this offseason, he was right. The guy is done. The Texans gave him huge money for his name value and not much else.

That said, he might be worth bringing in at the veteran minimum to see if they can salvage him for anything.

Fine with a look see, but I expect nothing.

Remember when BB signed safety John Lynch? He was so badly done he left in summer camp. Reminds me of (sacrilege!) Bruschi's last pre-season he wisely quit after a play where he was 10 yards away from the guy he was supposed to cover. I remember seeing that play and think he needs to retire now. At some point you're done in that the elite athletes that populate the NFL are just SO beyond your current speed.

Seems to me that a big part of the equation would be factoring in how much, if any, improvement a team felt they'd see in Reed's hip over the course of the rest of the season.

Fine with a look see, but I expect nothing.

Remember when BB signed safety John Lynch? He was so badly done he left in summer camp. Reminds me of (sacrilege!) Bruschi's last pre-season he wisely quit after a play where he was 10 yards away from the guy he was supposed to cover. I remember seeing that play and think he needs to retire now. At some point you're done in that the elite athletes that populate the NFL are just SO beyond your current speed.

Thanks for that Debbie Downer...........................

If he clears waivers and he'll sign for vet minimum, then he's worth taking a look at. The Pats have the luxury of not needing him to be anything close to an every-down player, so if he's allowed to pick his spots for 10-20 snaps per game, then maybe he can provide some value. There's no real opportunity cost, unless you think Tavon might figure out how to play in the NFL (which I don't).

Color me extremely skeptical Reed has anything left to offer.

Seems to me that a big part of the equation would be factoring in how much, if any, improvement a team felt they'd see in Reed's hip over the course of the rest of the season.

i'm sure Dr Gill :eek: will have a laser like focus on this

Color me extremely skeptical Reed has anything left to offer.

Are you kidding? Patriots have a leadership void on D without vince and mayo. If anything he brings a veteran prescence to this young D.

Are you kidding? Patriots have a leadership void on D without vince and mayo. If anything he brings a veteran prescence to this young D.

Vince and Mayo aren't deceased. And I don't give a tinker's damn about "veteran presence" if you can't play the game anymore.

What does Veteran presence mean if he can't play anymore?

Actually you know what! why not sign him until Gregory gets back,compare to what we have he can't possibly be any worse.

(i said no earlier , i take it back)

Vince and Mayo aren't deceased. And I don't give a tinker's damn about "veteran presence" if you can't play the game anymore.

What does Veteran presence mean if he can't play anymore?

BB has regularly signed players that fit that description. Heck, he signed a safety like that at the start of this year.

Actually you know what! why not sign him until Gregory gets back,compare to what we have he can't possibly be any worse.

(i said no earlier , i take it back)

Exactly. Where's the downside?

We are starting Harmon, with Tavon Wilson our backup. Yes, Reed would be an upgrade.

I'm not sure he'd be an upgrade on Duron Harmon at this point.

Absolutely.

If he has nothing left, and isn't any better an option than Wilson, then he can be cut.

Exactly. Where's the downside?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back