PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Brees may hold the record, but Johnny Unitas' streak is more impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
People will say he does all those good things to stroke his ego, lol. I hate every team we lose to for at least a week or more, for no good reason, so I'm no better.:p

well better to stroke your ego that way rather than rape, killing defenseless animals, or acting like a teen with emotional mental immaturity, right,lol.

At the moment, sure, Unitas' streak is probably more impressive just because of the era in which he played. That said, there's a lot of all-time great QBs playing right now, and none of them have broken it, so it shouldn't be dismissed by any means. And if Brees extends the streak for another 20+ games, which I honestly kinda expect that he will, then it will all be a moot point.

As for the negative comments about Brees on this thread, not sure where they're coming from. I do think he's probably a little overrated due to playing all of his games in a dome, but no more than Peyton Manning is, and most people seem to think that Peyton will go down as the greatest of all time. And I'm not really seeing the ego complaint, either. At least not beyond the extent that all HOF QBs probably have pretty big egos. I think the real problem is that a lot of people are comparing him to Brady, and while any one of us would take Brady over him any day, that doesn't mean he can't be an all-time great as well.

Last edited:
6. Never heard him say a bad word about anyone, maybe Goodell indirectly. But being told not to talk to one of your best friends for a year by any company would piss most people off, and Im not even sure its constitutionally sound, for Goodell to say he cant meet or talk to Payton away from the work place. Never heard that before.

Doubt anyone would fault him for that.

Now, I realize the game had started to open up after the 1978 rules changes, but it is still amazing to me that the Evil Marino had 5000+ yards and 48 TDs all the way back in the 1980s.

In 1984, the average yards/TD stat line of the top 10 quarterbacks was:

3,853 yards, 26.8 touchdowns.

If you remove Marino, and just average out 2-10, it's

3,717 yards, 24.4 touchdowns. Those are almost identical to Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2011 numbers (Fitzpatrick had 24 TDs and over 3,800 yards).

So, compared to the average of QBs 2-10. Marino produced 36.77% more yards and 96.72% more touchdowns. Pretty incredible.

In 2011, if you average quarterbacks 2-10, you get 4,551 yards and 32 touchdowns. A quarterback who outperformed those averages by 36.77% and 96.72% would have a line of:

6,224 yards and 63 touchdowns.

Admittedly, it's an extremely crude comparison. For one, it assumes that their peers were roughly equal. Still, I do think that it bears out how insane Marino's '84 season was.

Apologies in advance if I screwed up any of the math in this post. I'm pretty drunk right now.

Last edited:
well better to stroke your ego that way rather than rape, killing defenseless animals, or acting like a teen with emotional mental immaturity, right,lol.

To be clear I wasn't hating just pointing out how haters can make a case out of even the most glaring positives.

Brees is one of my favorite QB's after TB for the record, I like his leadership and fiery competitive spirit. he also has a type of crazy high octane energy on the field that's just fun to watch.

hope you guys get back in the W column, ruff start.:cool:

Last edited:
To be clear I wasn't hating just pointing out how haters can make a case out of even the most glaring positives.

Brees is one of my favorite QB's after TB for the record, I like his leadership and fiery competitive spirit. he also has a type of crazy high octane energy on the field that's just fun to watch.

hope you guys get back in the W column, ruff start.:cool:

I dont fault you for that. You had an important point, but I don't think thats going to happen, lol, but thanks

That would be the last thing on Brady's mind if he were 0-4. Just seems like Brees is too concerned with it...if this dude comes out celebrating and they lose...

Brady didn't throw a TD in the AFCCG. A streak that is comprised solely of regular season games is pretty much meaningless.

Agreed, I hate stupid **** like that. Playoff games are 60 minutes too...was so tired of hearing Brady hadn't lost a game at home since 06 when they had lost to ravens and jets in the playoffs. It's just stupid. and one more thing about brees didn't know he donated 12 mill to military causes :eek: mad respect for that.

That would be the last thing on Brady's mind if he were 0-4. Just seems like Brees is too concerned with it...if this dude comes out celebrating and they lose...

Im not try to be rude, but I doubt you know what is on Bradys or Brees mind. I admit I would be surprised if Brees makes this a parade and we are 0-5. I would be disappointed in him. I have a lot of respect for you foob as well. Enjoyed your post.

Last edited:
Im not try to be rude, but I doubt you know what is on Bradys or Brees mind. I admit I would be surprised if Brees makes this a parade and we are 0-5. I would be disappointed in him. I have a lot of respect for you foob as well. Enjoyed your post.

Fair enough point my friend.

look at the precipitous statistical dropoff for Brees in outdoor games vs. indoor games and then you see he is taking maximal advantage of dome ball.

He's not near Brady, Montana, or Unitas in non-perfect conditions.

Don't get the Brees hate. I admit I actually didn't like him at first, but as I've learned a little more about him, I like him more. As for his play, his dropoff outside the dome is troublesome if you want to put him in the same class as Brady.

As for the record, it was bound to fall at some point in this current era. Brees will break it, and then Brady is likely to come along and break it, even if he doesn't catch Brees.

Last edited:

Yeah, at least he's not Roethlisberger! LOL

Seriously though, I haven't seen any indication that Brees is a douche. So he celebrates his records, so what? Maybe he's just giving attention to history. And to hear that he credits his teammates for his accomplishments, I don't see anything wrong with that. People are too quick to judge these days. If Brady acknowledges win #200 or whatever later down the road or his 4th or 5th superbowl win will that be seen as arrogance?

Last edited:
look at the precipitous statistical dropoff for Brees in outdoor games vs. indoor games and then you see he is taking maximal advantage of dome ball.

He's not near Brady, Montana, or Unitas in non-perfect conditions.

Everyone says this is Brees fault, but I dont think it completely accurate.
The Saints defense falls apart out doors, and some offensive players do also.
Look at Colstons dropped passes outdoors,lol. Even in the SB. He has a hard time our doors.
But look at the SF and seattle games. Brees numbers should have won those games, even with 6 turnovers to SF.

Brees played outdoors most of his career when he was breaking records in college, and high school.
Most Valuable Offensive Player in 1996 and led the Westlake High School football team to 16-0 record and state championship.
As a high school football player, Brees completed 314 of 490 passes (64.1 percent) for 5,461 yards with 50 touchdowns including, in his senior season, 211 of 333 passes (63.4 percent) for 3,528 yards with 31 touchdowns.[11] Westlake went 28-0-1 when Brees started for two seasons and beat Abilene Cooper High School 55-15 in the 1996 title game

Purdue University - He left Purdue with Big Ten Conference records in passing yards (11,792), touchdown passes (90), total offensive yards (12,693), completions (1,026), and attempts (1,678). He led the Boilermakers to the 2001 Rose Bowl, Purdue's first appearance there since 1967, where Purdue lost by ten points to the Washington Huskies. Brees was a finalist for the Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's best quarterback in 1999. He won the Maxwell Award as the nation's outstanding player of 2000 and won the NCAA's Today's Top VIII Award as a member of the Class of 2001. Brees was also fourth in Heisman Trophy voting in 1999 and third in 2000. Brees also tied an NCAA record with the longest pass ever (99 yards), to receiver Vinny Sutherland against Northwestern on September 25, 1999

Chargers - where he started 15 games and led the team to a 12-4 regular season record. The Chargers won the AFC West and Brees was selected to the 2004 NFL Pro Bowl. He was named 2004 NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Brees continued his productive play in 2005, as he posted a career high in passing yards with 3,576. Brees also posted an 89.2 rating, 10th best in the NFL.

These are all outdoor games. I mean look how he tied TB in competitions in the SB vs the colts. Thats outdoors.

I really dont think Brees has a problem with outdoors. I do believe our team does,lol. Our defense always falls apart.
Wether Brees has a problem with high wind or weather is a different story. He might. Ive seen him throw some crazy sailing balls in both those kinds of situations, but hes only played in a dome sense 2006.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST