PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is NOW the most hated in all of sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RecoveringCowboy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
CBS Sports during the night polled callers on it. I don't know the results, but host Amy Lawrence suggested it's Goodell. Tiger is a has-been, A-Rod is sort of repentant and nearly done, LeBron James is accepted in Cleveland. Joe Horn is the latest, but not the only player to compare Goodell to the Devil.

goodell_devil.0.png

Many other players have had harsh words, like Drew Brees.

Paul Tagliabue - his predecessor also rips Goodell. Because he is out of his league....more

Tagliabue to GQ said:
If [players] see you making decisions only in economic terms, they start to understand that and question what you’re all about

Every time Goodell has acted, it's been severe - the list. He may have his job, but not his credibility.

If the owners boot him out, Kraft will have a strange ally in Woody Johnson.

While not a Patriot's topic per se, it's absolutely relevant. Wanting to do several things. Compiling a list of why Goodell is the worst commissioner in sports. And to see who the runners up to most hated are. Even with DeflateGate, it seems Goodell is more hated than BB, and I have a small amount of faith in humanity for that.

Goodell has perhaps built alliances with different pockets of owners for different reasons ... from my perspective he seems to have become more ... not less powerful and only a major screw up will bring him down. As long as the NFL profits go up there really is not any reason to remove him. Like I said elsewhere ... he is the babysitter of the owners.

^ true sadly, but he screws up so often, there is a chance he may finally be released.

I think the NFL applies some level of its financial success to Goodell. Goodell's main gift is that he has been around for the fantasy football, NFL TV program rollout. With smart phones and all manner of other devices exploding more people are seeing the brand more often. But the market will saturate, and it doesn't look like the Brady-Manning era popularity will repeat.

I'm sure NFL popularity will eventually wane, and the next commissioner will probably get blamed unfairly. Goodell is a man selling shark repellant. He tells the owners "Look, no sharks around me, buy more of what I'm selling." But neither the lack of sharks or the NFL's success has much to do with him. And I suspect when this boom plateau's it probably will have to do with him, and have to do with the arrogant and combative stance he's taken with players and fans.

I think Goodell has been in the right place at the right time, and a lot of the NFL success/expansion would have happened anyways.. he gets too much credit for growing the league.

It is obvious to me that he has lost control of parts of the organization, the deflate bullsh..t, and will suffer the perverse result of unintended consequences.. this is about questionable science of underinflated balls, in the real world means nothing..

He has also created a huge conflict of interest as he chose to surround himself with ex Jet operatives..

Since 04, when it was 3 of 4 years, it's been BB. It just got worse during the 07, FU NFL tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back