Drew Brees may hold the record, but Johnny Unitas' streak is more impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Drew Brees may hold the record, but Johnny Unitas' streak is more impressive
By: John Morgan

On Sunday night the San Diego Chargers will play the New Orleans Saints, and barring some highly unexpected and unforeseen circumstances, Drew Brees will throw a touchdown pass. When that happens he will set an NFL record for throwing a touchdown pass in ...

It made me kind of sick last year when the Saints were losing badly to the Rams and Brees was keeped in the final minute to get his TD pass. That made his record kind of pathetic to me.

The Saints and Drew Brees make such a huge deal out of every single record he breaks. I don't know about you guys, but it makes me respect him less. I don't recall Manning or Brady holding on-field celebrations when they broke the TD record. I mean, they picked up the ball and headed to the sidelines. I don't know if Brees' mentality is one I would want the leader of my football team to have.

And when Brady Breaks Brees streak he will just chuck it to a sideline guy and say put it in my locker and walk off hopefully with a win 'caus that's what Brady will say on post game podium. Class!

It's all about the records and money brah.

He's been a douchebag for quite some time now imo. It's fitting that he sucks outside of that dome and is 0-4 right now.

And when Brady Breaks Brees streak he will just chuck it to a sideline guy and say put it in my locker and walk off hopefully with a win 'caus that's what Brady will say on post game podium. Class!

Well, right now Brady's at 36 games and counting. Given this offense, there's a good chance he'll break Unitas' record against the LOLphins at home in Week 17. :rocker:

Well, right now Brady's at 36 games and counting. Given this offense, there's a good chance he'll break Unitas' record against the LOLphins at home in Week 17. :rocker:

Brady didn't throw a TD in the AFCCG. A streak that is comprised solely of regular season games is pretty much meaningless.

Last edited:
Brady didn't throw a TD in the AFCCG. A streak that is comprised solely of regular season games is pretty much meaningless.

All stats are divided into regular season/post season and most records reflect that, correct me if I'm wrong.

I see your point, but it's applied to most records I'm aware of. And for the record he's thrown a TD in every playoff game he's ever been in.:cool:

EDIT: My bad, I confused your comment about Brady with Brees, sorry.

Last edited:
Even if the record is absolutely blasted by the likes of Brees and Brady, the achievement won't hold as much weight as Johnny U's. The game is so different nowadays, and Brees will have done it by throwing twice as many passes per game than Unitas. Not to mention DB's had to virtually kill receiver's back then to be flagged.

Even if the record is absolutely blasted by the likes of Brees and Brady, the achievement won't hold as much weight as Johnny U's. The game is so different nowadays, and Brees will have done it by throwing twice as many passes per game than Unitas. Not to mention DB's had to virtually kill receiver's back then to be flagged.

Now, I realize the game had started to open up after the 1978 rules changes, but it is still amazing to me that the Evil Marino had 5000+ yards and 48 TDs all the way back in the 1980s.

Fixed your post

It's a streak. What is the point of a streak of passing touchdowns if a QB had a game in which he didn't pass for a TD in the middle of it?

LOL, 2 negative threads on Brees in one day. This Unitas thing is really bringing out the haters, who just don't get along with how he acts.
Theres no question that there is only 1 TB, but I dont see it as wrong for people to act in a different fashion.
The Saints never offered Brees a real deal till the season was over, and he had no idea Bounty gate was going to hit on the year of his contract negotiation.
So, him losing millions to be a team player seems kind of silly.
All players should try for the maximum of what they think they are worth, and Brees has been grossly underpaid for his past performance years, and passed up for 2 MVP years he probably should have won, instead of the PM effect.
If you voted for Rogers last year because of the numbers , then Brees should have won those other years.

I think most know the Unitas record doesn't mean as much as it did. Same as when Babe Ruths record was broken. But its not doing nothing at all !
Im actually surprised TB or PM didn't break it before him. When did they not throw a TD in a game ?

Not sure why anyone would like their to be 31 TB clones in the NFL either. People are different and no one is going to like everybody. I think its interesting that TB and Brees are good friends, and that some Pats fans think his a arrogant, yards padding, big mouth. Thats kind of saying that TB is to stupid to see this or that a fan really knows Brees better than TB. Hmm..not sure how that works.
Brees is a little overly religious and jumps at any leadership role. But thats just who he is. He does do exactly what he preaches though. Even if he messes up sometimes. Its well know Brees wants to run for office. I think hes republican.
Hes just getting his feet wet I think.
Not everyone can be a model ok, lol.

I think some Pats fans just get mad at anyone getting any honors that isn't named Tom Brady,lol.

Not sure why anyone would think Brees a jerk or douchebag either. Vick, Rothesburger, Rivers when younger, and Cutler seem like jerks or douchebag.
As proven by their behavior. What has Brees done? hmm

1. Donated $12,000,000 so far of his own money to different foundations and wounded military causes. Not even counting his own foundation. He must be payed to much to donate this much,lol.

2. Visits the military every year over seas, and hospitals in america. Pushed for the WW2 museum to be built. Yeah hes not the real deal,lol

3. Visits schools every week or two in NO to talk to kids about the importance of leadership and honesty. Started contracting job upfront money to new construction companies to help rebuild. Donated money to every disaster, and went down to fix things after work.

4. Doesn't own a chain of restaurants with his name on it.

5. All players love him. They must be all lying. Works overtime every day, and does not take a bye week.

6. Never heard him say a bad word about anyone, maybe Goodell indirectly. But being told not to talk to one of your best friends for a year by any company would piss most people off, and Im not even sure its constitutionally sound, for Goodell to say he cant meet or talk to Payton away from the work place. Never heard that before.

Yeah, what a D!<k

But not seeing a reason to belittle anyones accomplishments , even if they are 2nd or 3rd.

Last edited:
It's a streak. What is the point of a streak of passing touchdowns if a QB had a game in which he didn't pass for a TD in the middle of it?

They didn't include Drews playoff TD games either, if they did he'd of already have broken the record. It's only a record for the regular season. I'm sure Brees would have gladly given it up for a trip to the SB.:cool:

Just for giggles when the computer reads my words back to me for correction it says "Terabyte" instead of "TB", might be a cool nick name, lol

terrorbyte

Because it's the rules of what defines the terms of the streak, and it's generally done because of the desire to keep the playing field level in these things. Generally speaking, playoffs have their own records.

Because it's the rules of what defines the terms of the streak, and it's generally done because of the desire to keep the playing field level in these things. Generally speaking, playoffs have their own records.

..and Terrorbyte own most of them,lol

LOL, 2 negative threads on Brees in one day. This Unitas thing is really brings out the haters, who just don't get along with how he acts.
Theres no question that there is only 1 TB, but I dont see it as wrong for people to act in a different fashion.
The Saints never offered Brees a real deal till the season was over, and he had no idea Bounty gate was going to hit on the year of his contract negotiation.
So, him losing millions to be a team player seems kind of silly.
All players should try for the maximum of what they think they are worth, and Brees has been grossly underpaid for his past performance years, and passed up for 2 MVP years he probably should have won, instead of the PM effect.
If you voted for Rogers last year because of the numbers , then Brees should have won those other years.

I think most know the Unitas record doesn't mean as much as it did. Same as when Babe Ruths record was broken. But its not doing nothing at all !
Im actually surprised TB or PM didn't break it before him. When did they not throw a TD in a game ?

Not sure why anyone would like their to be 31 TB clones in the NFL either. People are different and no one is going to like everybody. I think its interesting that TB and Brees are good friends, and that some Pats fans think his a arrogant, yards padding, big mouth. Thats kind of saying that TB is to stupid to see this or that a fan really knows Brees better than TB. Hmm..not sure how that works.
Brees is a little overly religious and jumps at any leadership role. But thats just who he is. He does do exactly what he preaches though. Even if he messes up sometimes. Its well know Brees wants to run for office. I think hes republican.
Hes just getting his feet wet I think.
Not everyone can be a model ok, lol.

I think some Pats fans just get mad at anyone getting any honors that isn't named Tom Brady,lol.

Not sure why anyone would think Brees a jerk or douchebag either. Vick, Rothesburger, Rivers when younger, and Cutler seem like jerks or douchebag.
As proven by their behavior. What has Brees done? hmm

1. Donated $12,000,000 so far of his own money to different foundations and wounded military causes. Not even counting his own foundation. He must be payed to much to donate this much,lol.

2. Visits the military every year over seas, and hospitals in america. Pushed for the WW2 museum to be built. Yeah hes not the real deal,lol

3. Visits schools every week or two in NO to talk to kids about the importance of leadership and honesty. Started contracting job upfront money to new construction companies to help rebuild. Donated money to every disaster, and went down to fix things after work.

4. Doesn't own a chain of restaurants with his name on it.

5. All players love him. They must be all lying. Works overtime every day, and does not take a bye week.

6. Never heard him say a bad word about anyone, maybe Goodell indirectly. But being told not to talk to one of your best friends for a year by any company would piss most people off, and Im not even sure its constitutionally sound, for Goodell to say he cant meet or talk to Payton away from the work place. Never heard that before.

Yeah, what a D!<k

But not seeing a reason to belittle anyones accomplishments , even if they are 2nd or 3rd.

People will say he does all those good things to stroke his ego, lol. I hate every team we lose to for at least a week or more, for no good reason, so I'm no better.:p

Johnny U was the best. Took a licking but kept on ticking.

I've always felt Brees was better than most, from a humble standpoint. I could be wrong, but unlike these recent threads I always viewed him as someone who'd be a good teammate. I've seen some of his speeches to his teammates, one that stood out was the one he gave after breaking the record last season. Credited everyone from the OL to the WR's to even the defense for getting the ball back in his hands. I mean who knows maybe he is self absorbed like alot of you think but I've honestly seen no reason to think he's any worse than most high profile QB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes