PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe Should Be In The Patriots Hall Of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bledsoe is a Patriots HOF for many of the same reasons why I think Parcells. He helped to turn the Patriots froma league joke and #4most popular sport in this town to legitmacy and popularity that rivals the Red Sox.

The transformation you are citing had nothing to do with either. They could have stayed two decades and they wouldn't have effected anything resembling that transformation. That transformation didn't commence until late 2001 into 2002 and wasn't cemented until 2003 into 2005. Parcell's arrived here in 1993 and left here before the ink was dry on 1997. And any ground the team gained in that period was largely due to corresponding or continued decline on the part of the Celtics and Bruins. Did the duo pique interest? Absolutely. But by 1999 it was again diminished dramatically and would remain so until 2001 with just a flicker over Kraft the hiring the media proclaimed nutjob who walked away from the HC position for the NY JETS.

I voted for Brady too - and while 1994 was his breakout season, for me it's his rookie season contributions that carry the most weight.

Many of todays fans who were around back then forget how bad things were.

Things began to unravel almost immediately after the 1985 Super Bowl. A humiliating loss made worse by the expose of drug use among prominent Patriots the next day.

The organization was below laughingstock status by the early 90s. True fans who actually attended games even during a 14 game losing streak will never forget the pain of watching the talents of QBs by the name of Wilson, Hodson, Millen, and the coaching talents of Rod Rust and **** McPherson (who I actually have tremendous respect for as a coach, but he was given a near impossible task).

Zeke Mowatt and Lisa Olson were the icing on the cake. Kiam was a mess of an owner, and one thought things couldn't get worse until Orthwein came into the picture with the intention of selling/moving the team.

Things were looking bad. St. Louis Stallions logos were being unveiled. It was only a matter of time before New England lost its NFL team.

Enter Parcells and Bledsoe. Parcells impact was immediate. 1000 season ticket sales the day after he signed on as coach. His first draft move was to take Bledsoe, even though some fans were clammoring for him to take the older and more mature Rick Mirer.

It was a very good move. After Secules was benched in favor of the Rookie, things began to look up. Yes, they lost 11 more games but eight of the losses were by 7 points or less.

Then Bledsoe got on a tear. 4 straight wins to round out the 93 season, including close games against the Bengals, a Belichick-coached Browns team, a 38-0 whomping of the Division rival Colts... followed by the first sell out at Foxboro in recent memory, with fans rewarded with a hard fought overtime victory to round out the 93 season over the Dolphins.

Everyone was going crazy. Credible quality football had returned to Foxboro. Unfortunately we all expected that was the last time we'd witness a New England Patriots game.

Thankfully, Bob Kraft was in the stands as well. He credits both Parcells and Bledsoe with creating that fan frenzy that was the clincher in his decision to pull the trigger and buy the team.

Kraft knew the team had drafted quarterback Drew Bledsoe #1 overall in the NFL Draft on April 25, 1993 and legendary head coach Bill Parcells had the team moving in the right direction. The team had won only one of its first twelve games under Parcells but ended 1993 on a four-game winning streak.

Jonathan Kraft recalls his dad turning to him-like a shark smelling blood in the water-as the Patriots' last victory drove the crowd into a mad frenzy: "The crowd was just going nuts. They were just dying to have stability and commitment to a championship. Robert turned to me and said, 'There's no way I'm not buying this franchise.'" http://www.patriotsbook.com/SAMPLES/Collaborating_265-269.pdf

Without Bledsoe and Parcells, Kraft doesn't buy this team. He takes his $75 million payout and declines to make an NFL record offer for a team few others believed in.

I view Parcells and Bledsoe equally responsible for that history making turnaround - but if I have to pick one to go in first, I'll give Bledsoe the nod, even forgiving him for a slightly less than gracious exit when Brady took his job away.

I know others won't be as forgiving as that, as many won't forgive Parcells for his exit either, but one can't argue with how things eventually worked out for the organization.

Last edited:
The transformation you are citing had nothing to do with either. They could have stayed two decades and they wouldn't have effected anything resembling that transformation. That transformation didn't commence until late 2001 into 2002 and wasn't cemented until 2003 into 2005. Parcell's arrived here in 1993 and left here before the ink was dry on 1997. And any ground the team gained in that period was largely due to corresponding or continued decline on the part of the Celtics and Bruins. Did the duo pique interest? Absolutely. But by 1999 it was again diminished dramatically and would remain so until 2001 with just a flicker over Kraft the hiring the media proclaimed nutjob who walked away from the HC position for the NY JETS.

Yes, when Parcells left in 1996 all we could talk about was games with 15,000 people in stands, endless blackouts, the franchise being cursed, Zeke Mowatt's Patriot Missle, Victor Kiam's bankrupcy, the Sullivan's stupidity. Personally, back in 1996 I thought the Patriots moved to St. Louis and were relegated to the CFL for being so bad.

I know you hate Bledsoe and Parcells, but there is no doubt they helped to turn the popularity of this team around in this town. In 1992 before either arrived, the Pats were a distant fourth in popularity in this town of the major sports teams. By 1994, they were selling out every game and no matter how much people want to say that people started to sell out the stadium because an obligation to Kraft, it was because of the product on the field and that was because of Bledsoe and Parcells (along with others). Bledsoe was "the next Dan Marino" back then and people were energized about the team.

The 2001 year turned the team into a dynasty and a national sensation, but Bledsoe and Parcells turned the Pats locally into a popular franchise.

Maybe you are too young to remember what the fanbase was like prior to 1993, but I have watched this team since the early 80s and even 1985 there wasn't as much fan interest as there was post 1993.

Last edited:
I voted for Brady too - and while 1994 was his breakout season, for me it's his rookie season contributions that carry the most weight.

Many of todays fans who were around back then forget how bad things were.

Things began to unravel almost immediately after the 1985 Super Bowl. A humiliating loss made worse by the expose of drug use among prominent Patriots the next day.

The organization was below laughingstock status by the early 90s. True fans who actually attended games even during a 14 game losing streak will never forget the pain of watching the talents of QBs by the name of Wilson, Hodson, Millen, and the coaching talents of Rod Rust and **** McPherson (who I actually have tremendous respect for as a coach, but he was given a near impossible task).

Zeke Mowatt and Lisa Olson were the icing on the cake. Kiam was a mess of an owner, and one thought things couldn't get worse until Orthwein came into the picture with the intention of selling/moving the team.

Things were looking bad. St. Louis Stallions logos were being unveiled. It was only a matter of time before New England lost its NFL team.

Enter Parcells and Bledsoe. Parcells impact was immediate. 1000 season ticket sales the day after he signed on as coach. His first draft move was to take Bledsoe, even though some fans were clammoring for him to take the older and more mature Rick Mirer.

It was a very good move. After Secules was benched in favor of the Rookie, things began to look up. Yes, they lost 11 more games but eight of the losses were by 7 points or less.

Then Bledsoe got on a tear. 4 straight wins to round out the 93 season, including close games against the Bengals, a Belichick-coached Browns team, a 38-0 whomping of the Division rival Colts... followed by the first sell out at Foxboro in recent memory, with fans rewarded with a hard fought overtime victory to round out the 93 season over the Dolphins.

Everyone was going crazy. Credible quality football had returned to Foxboro. Unfortunately we all expected that was the last time we'd witness a New England Patriots game.

Thankfully, Bob Kraft was in the stands as well. He credits both Parcells and Bledsoe with creating that fan frenzy that was the clincher in his decision to pull the trigger and buy the team.

Without Bledsoe and Parcells, Kraft doesn't buy this team. He takes his $75 million payout and declines to make an NFL record offer for a team few others believed in.

I view Parcells and Bledsoe equally responsible for that history making turnaround - but if I have to pick one to go in first, I'll give Bledsoe the nod, even forgiving him for a slightly less than gracious exit when Brady took his job away.

I know others won't be as forgiving as that, as many won't forgive Parcells for his exit either, but one can't argue with how things eventually worked out for the organization.

Wait! Who are you going to believe about Parcells' and Bledsoe's impact on Kraft buying the team and energizing the fans? Bob and Jonathan Kraft or the haters who think they had zero impact on both and fans bought season tickets because they felt obligated to Bob Kraft no matter who was on the field.

Bledsoe's the franchises second best QB ever, so of course he gets in.

Shame about Antwine, but under their current, decades delayed induction, he doesn't stand a chance.

As a representative of the elder statesmen, I'd say He, Holovak and Bucko Kilroy (36 years a Patriot, crossed over eras as GM and personnel leader) could just be inserted and be done with it.

There was no huge vote for the original members that i know of.

Also, Clayborn and Julius Adams need to be in before the current era teams overwhelm things.

And Russ Francis, for ItalianPat:D (even though he left for the 49ers).

well said my friend

Looking at the list of current members of the Patriots Hall of Fame and it is a no brainer that Bledsoe deserves to be in. How can you really argue he is less deserving than Grogan. Grogan is deserving and was a huge fan favorite, but he was never the player Bledsoe was.

Looking at the list of current members of the Patriots Hall of Fame and it is a no brainer that Bledsoe deserves to be in. How can you really argue he is less deserving than Grogan. Grogan is deserving and was a huge fan favorite, but he was never the player Bledsoe was.

I'll actually give Grogan additional points for his work in the community and as a local Patriots ambassador - yes they are off field accomplishments, but I think you look at the whole scope of work and contributions to the organization.

The Patriots Hall of Fame is very upfront about looking beyond simple statistics - that's probably why they nominated Ron Burton - recognizing his contributions as a community motivational speaker, as well as his on field accomplishments and role as the "first" Patriot in various categories.

And of course Billy Sullivan is in the Patriots Hall of Fame and he's got no stats at all.

So many people have been arguing that anything that didn't happen between the hash marks can't be considered - but that's NOT what Bob Kraft intended for the Patriots Hall of Fame. If it were, Kraft himself would not be eligible for induction.

Last edited:
I'm not a big Bledsoe fan but this is a no brainer. His numbers actually entitle him to serious consideration for the PRO Football HOF but I don't see him ever getting in, nor do i think he should.

I'm not a big Bledsoe fan but this is a no brainer. His numbers actually entitle him to serious consideration for the PRO Football HOF but I don't see him ever getting in, nor do i think he should.

I think the numbers make a decent case - but I think many of the members of the selection committee are honoring what he meant to an organization on the cusp of being the St. Louis Stallions.

Mark Farinella is a member of the Patriots Hall of Fame Selection Committee, who obviously backed Bledsoe and takes strong exception to the "vocal minority" of those dwelling on the negatives for both Bledsoe and Parcells

FARINELLA: Bledsoe deserves Patriots' Hall nod - The Sun Chronicle Online - Sports

Bledsoe, now living an active but comfortable life away from football in Oregon, is one of the three nominees for the Patriots Hall of Fame, an election that will be settled by online voting by fans over the next month. At one time, it appeared there was little doubt that the first pick in the 1993 NFL Draft, who still holds a variety of team passing records, would become the 18th member of the shrine. But those of us on the nominating committee apparently threw a curve ball at the voters when our secret ballot made Bledsoe's former coach, Bill Parcells, one of the finalists along with 1960s defensive end Houston Antwine. In recent days, the presence of both Bledsoe and Parcells on the ballot has dredged up a lot of negative comments by short-sighted fans that either weren't old enough or intelligent enough to understand the state of the franchise when both arrived here.

I wrote in a recent column that I anticipated I'd hear the old "he's a statue" comments about Bledsoe, or the "he left us for the Jets!" whines about Parcells, and a lot of brain-dead New England "fans" have not disappointed me.

Fortunately, I believe they're in the minority.

I think the numbers make a decent case - but I think many of the members of the selection committee are honoring what he meant to an organization on the cusp of being the St. Louis Stallions.

Mark Farinella is a member of the Patriots Hall of Fame Selection Committee, who obviously backed Bledsoe and takes strong exception to the "vocal minority" of those dwelling on the negatives for both Bledsoe and Parcells

FARINELLA: Bledsoe deserves Patriots' Hall nod - The Sun Chronicle Online - Sports

He (Farinella) sounds like a complete idiot. A grade schooler could write a better article than that. It also sounds like he has some sort of weird obsession with Bledsoe.

Anyone in here who is old enough to remember when Bledsoe and Parcells formed the team from laughingstock of the NFL to respectable and then to AFC Champion knows that they had a hard-on for BOTH guys and were once again happy after so many years of horror seasons prior to 1993.

I bet all the complainers who are dissing these two right now are the same type of fans back then that had T-Shirts or something with Drew on it or some type of merchandise that nearly worshiped the ground those two stood on back in the mid 90s.....I know I did back then and I know some in here are pure Bullsh!tters who say they did not feel that way.

Some hold sour grapes when Parcells left here and the way he left and even more so because he went to the hated Jets of all teams.

IMO Some have an understandable reason to say Parcells does not belong but if you don't think Bledsoe belongs in the Patriots HOF then IMO You are simply an idiot who know nothing about Patriots history and are an embarrassment to all Patriots fans.....Bledsoe was once the heart of this organization and all of the charitable things he did in the Boston area showed what a leader he truly was,even if he did not win a SB as starting QB.

Last edited:
He (Farinella) sounds like a complete idiot. A grade schooler could write a better article than that. It also sounds like he has some sort of weird obsession with Bledsoe.

Apparently New England Patriots VP Stacey James and others in the organization have a higher opinion of him, choosing him to serve on the Patriots Hall of Fame Selection Committee.

One thing's for sure - he's doesn't think too highly of the "vocal minority" and "negative comments by short sighted fans who weren't old enough or intelligent enough to understand the state of the franchise when both arrived here."

I guess it's ok when anonymous fans insult members of the Selection Committee, but if a member of the Selection Committee should openly question the "vocal minority" of talk radio and message board posters that's below the belt?

Last edited:
I'll actually give Grogan additional points for his work in the community and as a local Patriots ambassador - yes they are off field accomplishments, but I think you look at the whole scope of work and contributions to the organization.

The Patriots Hall of Fame is very upfront about looking beyond simple statistics - that's probably why they nominated Ron Burton - recognizing his contributions as a community motivational speaker, as well as his on field accomplishments and role as the "first" Patriot in various categories.

And of course Billy Sullivan is in the Patriots Hall of Fame and he's got no stats at all.

So many people have been arguing that anything that didn't happen between the hash marks can't be considered - but that's NOT what Bob Kraft intended for the Patriots Hall of Fame. If it were, Kraft himself would not be eligible for induction.

Why don't you quit while you're just embarrassing yourself?

Apparently New England Patriots VP Stacey James and others in the organization have a higher opinion of him, choosing him to serve on the Patriots Hall of Fame Selection Committee.

One thing's for sure - he's doesn't think too highly of the "vocal minority" and "negative comments by short sighted fans who weren't old enough or intelligent enough to understand the state of the franchise when both arrived here."

I guess it's ok when anonymous fans insult members of the Selection Committee, but if a member of the Selection Committee should openly question the "vocal minority" of talk radio and message board posters that's below the belt?

So who says Bledsoe shouldn't be in? What posts are you responding to?

And yes, a casual fan such as myself knows more Patriots history than 95% of the people voting (or whatever percent is left after Ron Hobson).

Please keep defending even the most clueless additions and omissions.

Anyone in here who is old enough to remember when Bledsoe and Parcells formed the team from laughingstock of the NFL to respectable and then to AFC Champion knows that they had a hard-on for BOTH guys and were once again happy after so many years of horror seasons prior to 1993.

I bet all the complainers who are dissing these two right now are the same type of fans back then that had T-Shirts or something with Drew on it or some type of merchandise that nearly worshiped the ground those two stood on back in the mid 90s.....I know I did back then and I know some in here are pure Bullsh!tters who say they did not feel that way.

Some hold sour grapes when Parcells left here and the way he left and even more so because he went to the hated Jets of all teams.

IMO Some have an understandable reason to say Parcells does not belong but if you don't think Bledsoe belongs in the Patriots HOF then IMO You are simply an idiot who know nothing about Patriots history and are an embarrassment to all Patriots fans.....Bledsoe was once the heart of this organization and all of the charitable things he did in the Boston area showed what a leader he truly was,even if he did not win a SB as starting QB.

This a a great example of the weird obsession I mentioned a few posts back. Why is it so important that everybody feel they same way you do regarding Bledsoe? Why do you get this worked up? Vote for him for the Pats HOF, no problem. Did he make a contribution to the renewed intrest of the team after 4 losing seasons, yes he did. Was he ever a great QB, no he wasn't. His career record as a Patriot was 63-60.

I have T-shirts that are old enough to remember that.

Do you know the history of your team at all?

Hint, there were two leagues, twenty five years, three winning eras, multiple pro football Hall of Famers, an unprecedented three road victory run to the super Bowl including wins over hated rivals Miami and Oakland, just for starters.

Anyone in here old enough? Pleez...

Again, Bledsoe deserves the HOF based on his play, just like Antwine and others who won't get in, because this is a bandwagon fan base and media.

He's an idiot.

I have T-shirts that are old enough to remember that.

Do you know the history of your team at all?

Hint, there were two leagues, twenty five years, three winning eras, multiple pro football Hall of Famers, an unprecedented three road victory run to the super Bowl including wins over hated rivals Miami and Oakland, just for starters.

Anyone in here old enough? Pleez...

Again, Bledsoe deserves the HOF based on his play, just like Antwine and others who won't get in, because this is a bandwagon fan base and media.

I am not as old as you Ray but I was around for the early 80s and remembered all that...my post that you quoted was more set for the 20s to Early 30s aged people in here who were not present or old enough to enjoy those years during the 80s so they would not have had memorabilia from back then unless they bought it nostagically from eBay ect:.

I am not as old as you Ray but I was around for the early 80s and remembered all that...my post that you quoted was more set for the 20s to Early 30s aged people in here who were not present or old enough to enjoy those years during the 80s so they would not have had memorabilia from back then unless they bought it nostagically from eBay ect:.

Bledsoe is a lock Hall of Famer, Antwine should have been in for twenty years already.

It's fine to have your own favorite era, I guess I'm more responding to others here, but the HOF shouldn't be just for a favorite 10-15 year period, that's my point.

I'll grant that the writers and most fans know nothing about the early team, but that doesn't mean that's a good reason those players/coaches shouldn't get recognition.

There are records and articles to google from writers who did know these players.

Objectively, Holovak was more crucial to the teams development than Parcells and also had a better record.

I wouldn't expect an argument that Washington and Abraham Lincoln weren't worth studying because we can't remember them and history started with Reagan or Clinton. There are easily obtainable records and articles, believe me.

I'm surprised, since you were a fan in the eighties, that their road run against fierce rivals wasn't a thrill. Quite honestly, it was more exciting than the 2001 run to me (less satisfying ultimately, of course).

Maybe enduring some of the humiliation, Daryl Stingley, that smug Mfer Shula (snowplow lol) made those victories over MIa and Oak so much sweeter in 85. To me, sports is grudges and rivalries and overcoming odds, while a great deal of the fan base now expects championships as a birthright.

That's fine, but don't claim to be objective, when you (anyone) take pride in not knowing or caring a thing about 50-80% of the history of the team as you extoll your favorite choices and the "objective" reasons why they are the only ones that matter.

Difference is, some fans (and all writers should) know about the team, and what's available in records and articles.

I didn't see Antwine play every week, or some of the rest of them. Hell, they weren't on TV for a while. I have researched and read about them. I know the history of the team from before they existed, or i knew what sports was. Surprising that writers I otherwise respect, with access to everything, and some professional responsibility, so glibly dismiss what should be mandatory research and just wing it for 30 years worth of history.

Kind of silly a casual fan has to inform, but i guess that's how it is with a team that rose from (fill in the blank ________________) = [Pats sports knowledge]

Last edited:
Just watching Brady 6 and it shows the Mo Lewis hit on Bledsoe. Have to admire how Drew took the hit and went for 1st down. He had ample room and time to duck out of bounds and avoid the hit but he didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back