OT: Steve McMichael in NFL Hall of Fame

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
At first I thought Steve McMichael was a borderline choice for HOF then saw he was a "senior" candidate (those whose careers ended at least 25 years ago). Pretty remarkable situation with him dying of ALS -- what an awful disease. Ironically, playing in the NFL might have caused it.

Yeah he looks like it’s eating him away. Brutal way to die.

Terrible disease. I feel bad for him.
But he's not a hall of famer.

Terrible disease. I feel bad for him.
But he's not a hall of famer.

As mentioned he's in the "senior" eligibility category, so from that standpoint he qualified. His stats are worthy: 213 games played, 95 sacks, 838 solo tackles, 13 forced fumbles, three safeties ... twice first-team All-Pro.

Surprised me years ago to see he was originally a Patriot. They just straight up cut him.

Surprised me years ago to see he was originally a Patriot. They just straight up cut him.
I remember when they cut him. Much like Bob Golic during the same time frame, I couldn't understand the cutting of high draft picks. The Pats had Golic playing his college position of LB, but he and McMichael certainly should have been playing at least as backups along the DL. Much better than Richard Bishop.

I remember when they cut him. Much like Bob Golic during the same time frame, I couldn't understand the cutting of high draft picks. The Pats had Golic playing his college position of LB, but he and McMichael certainly should have been playing at least as backups along the DL. Much better than Richard Bishop.

Read a cool article awhile ago about McMichaels' time in New England... he was just "not a fit"...
"I would fight in practice and I would stay out all night in the Combat Zone," McMichael said, referring to an adult entertainment district in Boston. "But if you can perform, go experience life, young man. The coaches called me up. They said, 'Steve, we think you might be able to be a second-stringer in the league, but we think you're the criminal element, so get out."

Did some rasslin too back in the day. Wasn’t bad either!

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back