PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what's the deal with the retired numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless the NYJFL* allows 3 digit jerseys I don't think teams should retire numbers except in special circumstances. Like Tom Brady's number should be retired.

Just FYI, Tippett's number IS retired. When was the last time we saw #56 on the Pats?

Beat me to this. Even if #56 isn't officially retired, I cannot remember anyone wearing it since Andre.

Regards,
Chris

My bad, I was looking at something else.

Regardless, the point stands. Although there are what appear to be hypocrisies in regards to which numbers are (and are not) retired, I fail to see this as being a critical issue. Unretiring a number would be a far more questionable decision than 'why is X retired but Y is not'.

There are still plenty of uniform numbers available to field a 53-man roster, and the Hall in Foxboro is available to honor any and all worthy Patriot players going forward.

I didn't say it was a critical issue. I was just wondering if there was some rhyme or reason to the inconsistency and it seems the standard has shifted over the years, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back