PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe HOF

On Pro-Football Reference, there's a nice table called ' Advanced Passing' that gives a base comparison, season by season, of the player versus his peers. A truly dominant player, a HOF, should have most of these above 100 (100 being the league average). Unfortunately for Bledsoe, stats do not show he was dominant. Yes, his passing volume stats are quite impressive, but throwing often doesn't mean he is an HOFer.

When comparing Bledsoe to Moon and Fouts, its easy to see that Fouts and Moon were among the best of their era, Bledsoe not so much.

To Bledsoe's credit, he took 3 teams that were bad and made them much better in a very short time period. Pats went from 2-14 before he was drafted to 10-6 in his 2nd year. Bills went from 3-13 to 8-8 in his first year, Cowboys from 6-10 to 9-7. But he wasn't good enough to make his teams legitimate playoff material each year. The fact that he never took a team to the playoffs after the 1998 season has to be accounted for.

Btw, Bledsoe was already eligible for HOF this past year (so he won't be a first ballot for sure) and was eliminated from the list of candidates pretty soon in the process. Unless there is a very weak class coming in the nest few years, I think his chances of reaching the finalist stage are pretty dim.

I'm a big Bledsoe fan, and recognize he was a big factor why the Pats started becoming relevant. People in this thread have downplayed his impact in the 2001 AFC Championship game, as if throwing a TD while starting at the 40 was no big deal (not mentioning that Brady threw for just 1 TD for the whole postseason that year, so it's not like it was a gimme scoring from the 40). He didn't play perfect (far from it, with the hook throwaway and all), but he also had an incredible long pass to Patten, throwing from near the end zone, that was dropped by Patten on what could have been a 95-tard TD. But the bottom line is that while it was good enough to get the team to the Super Bowl, its Brady who started SB36 and won it. And that's what we all remember.

While Bledsoe is a well deserving Pats HOFer, he just never was a dominant player, and doesn't deserve to go to Canton.

A few weeks ago there was a discussion about whether or not Donovan McNabb was Hall of Fame worthy, and much of the support for him was based on his total career numbers, and then comparing it to other Hall of Famers.

In that debate I took the stance that those type of comparisons are virtually meaningless because the passing game has constantly evolved. To me the best comparison is how one does against his peers: specifically, where did the QB rank in key statistical rankings during his career.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...54-donovan-mcpuke-get-his-jersey-retired.html

McNabb's total career stats appear favorable to quarterbacks such as John Elway and Jim Kelly. However, upon closer inspection you find when you strictly compare to their peers, McNabb does not measure up to Elway and Kelly, and did not have as good a career as Philip Rivers - a player few think of as being HoF-worthy - has had. Note: see posts #4, 37 and 42 in link above).

Passing Yards
Elway: 1x led NFL, 1x 2nd, 5x top 5, 11x top 10
Kelly: 3x top 5, 6x top 10
McNabb: 0x top 5, 2x top 10

Passing TD
Kelly: 1x led NFL, 5x top 5, 9x top 10
Elway: 1x 2nd, 3x top 5, 8x top 10
McNabb: 1x top 5, 4x top 10

Yards per Attempt
Kelly: 1x 2nd, 5x top 5, 8x top 10
Elway: 2x top 5, 9x top 10
McNabb: 1x 2nd, 2x top 5, 3x top 10

Passer Rating
Kelly: 1x 1st, 2x top 5, 7x top 10
Elway: 4x top 5, 5x top 10
McNabb: 2x top 5, 5x top 10

- - - - -

Philip Rivers
Passing Yards: 1x led NFL, 2x top 5, 5x top 10
Passing TD: 1x led NFL, 2x top 5, 6x top 10
Yards per Attempt: 3x led NFL, 3x top 5, 5x top 10
Passer Rating: 1x led NFL, 1x 2nd, 3x top 5, 4x top 5

Donovan McNabb
Passing Yards: 0x led NFL, 0x top 5, 2x top 10
Passing TD: 0x led NFL, 1x top 5, 4x top 10
Yards per Attempt: 1x 2nd, 2x top 5, 3x top 10
Passer Rating: 0x led NFL, 2x top 5, 5x top 10

========

Back to Drew Bledsoe, and specifically the comparison of him to Dan Fouts:

Drew Bledsoe's yearly top ten rankings:
Passing Yards (7): 1st (94), 3rd (96), 4th (97), 6th (98,99), 2nd (02), 8th (05)
Passing TD (7): 10th (93), 4th (94), 3rd (96, 97), 10th (99), 7th (02), 8th (05)
Yards per Attempt (5): 8th (97), 7th (98), 8th (99), 8th (02), 10th (05)
Passer Rating (3): 8th (96), 6th (97), 7th (02)

Dan Fouts' yearly top ten rankings:
Passing Yards (8): 8th, 6th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 4th, 6th
Passing TD (8): 9th, 4th, 6th, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 9th, 2nd
Yards per Attempt (9): 7th, 10th, 1st, 6th, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st
Passer Rating (8): 3rd, 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 6th, 8th, 4th

Cumulatively that totals:

Passing Yards:
Bledsoe: 1x led NFL, 1x 2nd, 4x top 5, 7x top 10
D Fouts: 4x led NFL, 0x 2nd, 5x top 5, 8x top 10

Passing TD:
Bledsoe: 0x led NFL, 0x 2nd, 3x top 5, 7x top 10
D Fouts: 2x led NFL, 2x 2nd, 5x top 5, 8x top 10

Yards per Attempt:
Bledsoe: 0x led NFL, 0x 2nd, 0x top 5, 5x top 10
D Fouts: 3x led NFL, 2x 2nd, 6x top 5, 9x top 10

Passer Rating:
Bledsoe: 0x led NFL, 0x 2nd, 0x top 5, 3x top 10
D Fouts: 0x led NFL, 2x 2nd, 5x top 5, 8x top 10

=====

Heading in to this exercise I did not think that Bledsoe would look as good as he did, but still it is very clear that Fouts was the superior quarterback.

A major part of the reason that Bledsoe does so well in total number stats (passing yards and touchdowns) and not nearly as well in percentage stats (yards per attempt, passer rating) is because he threw the ball so often. Bledsoe led the league in pass attempts three straight times, and was among the top three six times; if you throw more often than anyone else then it is more likely that you will have more passing yards and more passing touchdowns. By comparison Bledsoe was in the top ten in touchdown percentage just once in his career. It is also difficult to overlook the fact that Bledsoe was among the top ten in fumbles eight times (he ranks 6th all-time with 123), was among the top ten in interceptions eight times, and only twice was in the top ten in completion percentage.

=====

In terms of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, to me the bottom line with Drew Bledsoe is that he was a very good quarterback - good enough to warant consideration - but ultimately not quite good enough to get his bust enshrined in Canton.

Last edited:
He won't make it into the NFL HOF. A very good, but not great, QB in the NFL that helped put the Pats back on the map, and for that I will be forever grateful to him, but his stats speak more to his longevity in the league rather than greatness as a QB.

Everything you say in this post while sounding reasonable is completely wrong. He WAS great, for extended periods of time he was the best or certainly near best. He made the Pats matter period. He got us to and kept us in contention. Longevity in the NFL DOES equal greatness. The NFL HOF which you seem to think is the very cream of the crop is chock full of QBs that couldnt hold Drews jock(Namath,Fouts,Moon etc.) So stop raising the bar on our guys when their guys sneak in with the taint of ***** all over them.

Passing Yards:

Passing TD:

Yards per Attempt:

Passer Rating:

Great post, thanks for breaking this down. The bold stands out to me because I don't put much stock in compilation stats if they are accompanied by comparable rate performance and/or point production. I'm not even sure I'd call his entire career "very good", though he obviously had several seasons that met and surpassed that description.

Bledsoe is a HOF-level player, but he's not a 'lock' sort like a Brady or P. Manning. He and Favre were among the last of the old-style gunslinging QBs, and Bledsoe suffers from the comparison. Whether he gets in or not, only time will tell. Even though he got to the SB as a starter, he didn't win it, and that'll make a difference to the voters.

Bledsoe was not an NFL HOF-level player. Five people a year (including coaches, League owners, etc.) are elected to the NFL HoF (plus 2 from the veteran's committee). Bledsoe doesn't get close to being one of those 5 in any given year.

He rightfully deserves to be in the Patriots HoF. He was a significantly above average QB with flaws that were exploitable - hence the Patriots turnaround when they switched to a QB without those flaws. He was never even close to the hardest worker and he didn't live and breathe football. He wasn't committed to being the best he could be and his talent only brought him so far - which is not far enough for entry into the Hall without a ticket.

I am a Bledsoe fan and never hated the guy like many Pats fans did, but there is little chance he will get into the Hall. He just wasn't good enough. He had a few years where he was arguably one of the best QBs in football, but not for a long enough stretch.

When you think of the best QBs of the 90s and he might be what 10th on your list and that may be too high. And he wouldn't even be that high if the late 90s were devoid of many really good QBs. The Hall is reserved for the elite of a player's generation. Not a guy who was just very good.

I was about to make my own post to describe my feelings but then scrolled down and read yours. You basically have the sentiments that I have.

I think he got screwed by the Bills on his way out. He helped the Bills go 9-7 and had their defense played better against Tommy Maddox and the Steelers B team on the last game of the season they would have made the playoffs. I doubt the Bills go to Losman again had they been given a mulligan on that decision.

Here's an article showing that his numbers really are comparable to his HOF peers in his era.

Drew Bledsoe Belongs in Pro Football Hall of Fame Alongside Other Quarterback Greats | New England Patriots | NESN.com

This really is a tough one, defininately borderline. His numbers are VERY close to being worthy, in fact others who got in, some of them, his numbers are definately better.

I would put him in a grouping with McNabb, Ken Anderson and Boomer Esiason all of whom made it to one super bowl and lost and put up some very nice but not epic numbers. They played a long time a good level which makes their totals look better than they are. None of them, to Donovan's dismay,are HOF worthy.

A few weeks ago there was a discussion about whether or not Donovan McNabb was Hall of Fame worthy, and much of the support for him was based on his total career numbers, and then comparing it to other Hall of Famers.

In that debate I took the stance that those type of comparisons are virtually meaningless because the passing game has constantly evolved. To me the best comparison is how one does against his peers: specifically, where did the QB rank in key statistical rankings during his career.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...54-donovan-mcpuke-get-his-jersey-retired.html

McNabb's total career stats appear favorable to quarterbacks such as John Elway and Jim Kelly. However, upon closer inspection you find when you strictly compare to their peers, McNabb does not measure up to Elway and Kelly, and did not have as good a career as Philip Rivers - a player few think of as being HoF-worthy - has had. Note: see posts #4, 37 and 42 in link above).

Passing Yards
Elway: 1x led NFL, 1x 2nd, 5x top 5, 11x top 10
Kelly: 3x top 5, 6x top 10
McNabb: 0x top 5, 2x top 10

Passing TD
Kelly: 1x led NFL, 5x top 5, 9x top 10
Elway: 1x 2nd, 3x top 5, 8x top 10
McNabb: 1x top 5, 4x top 10

Yards per Attempt
Kelly: 1x 2nd, 5x top 5, 8x top 10
Elway: 2x top 5, 9x top 10
McNabb: 1x 2nd, 2x top 5, 3x top 10

Passer Rating
Kelly: 1x 1st, 2x top 5, 7x top 10
Elway: 4x top 5, 5x top 10
McNabb: 2x top 5, 5x top 10

- - - - -

Philip Rivers
Passing Yards: 1x led NFL, 2x top 5, 5x top 10
Passing TD: 1x led NFL, 2x top 5, 6x top 10
Yards per Attempt: 3x led NFL, 3x top 5, 5x top 10
Passer Rating: 1x led NFL, 1x 2nd, 3x top 5, 4x top 5

Donovan McNabb
Passing Yards: 0x led NFL, 0x top 5, 2x top 10
Passing TD: 0x led NFL, 1x top 5, 4x top 10
Yards per Attempt: 1x 2nd, 2x top 5, 3x top 10
Passer Rating: 0x led NFL, 2x top 5, 5x top 10

========

Back to Drew Bledsoe, and specifically the comparison of him to Dan Fouts:

Drew Bledsoe's yearly top ten rankings:
Passing Yards (7): 1st (94), 3rd (96), 4th (97), 6th (98,99), 2nd (02), 8th (05)
Passing TD (7): 10th (93), 4th (94), 3rd (96, 97), 10th (99), 7th (02), 8th (05)
Yards per Attempt (5): 8th (97), 7th (98), 8th (99), 8th (02), 10th (05)
Passer Rating (3): 8th (96), 6th (97), 7th (02)

Dan Fouts' yearly top ten rankings:
Passing Yards (8): 8th, 6th, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 4th, 6th
Passing TD (8): 9th, 4th, 6th, 2nd, 1st, 1st, 9th, 2nd
Yards per Attempt (9): 7th, 10th, 1st, 6th, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st
Passer Rating (8): 3rd, 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 2nd, 6th, 8th, 4th

Cumulatively that totals:

Passing Yards:

Passing TD:

Yards per Attempt:

Passer Rating:

=====

Heading in to this exercise I did not think that Bledsoe would look as good as he did, but still it is very clear that Fouts was the superior quarterback.

A major part of the reason that Bledsoe does so well in total number stats (passing yards and touchdowns) and not nearly as well in percentage stats (yards per attempt, passer rating) is because he threw the ball so often. Bledsoe led the league in pass attempts three straight times, and was among the top three six times; if you throw more often than anyone else then it is more likely that you will have more passing yards and more passing touchdowns. By comparison Bledsoe was in the top ten in touchdown percentage just once in his career. It is also difficult to overlook the fact that Bledsoe was among the top ten in fumbles eight times (he ranks 6th all-time with 123), was among the top ten in interceptions eight times, and only twice was in the top ten in completion percentage.

=====

In terms of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, to me the bottom line with Drew Bledsoe is that he was a very good quarterback - good enough to warant consideration - but ultimately not quite good enough to get his bust enshrined in Canton.

JMT, once again, great work. Ever since you brought up this way to judge QBs between different eras (and schooled me), I've used it in debates with peers over how you can throw the stats of older era QBs out the window when comparing them to guys from the 90s-00s. I've also grown more respect for the 70s-90s players as well. What website do you get this info from? I'd like to dive in it some time.

The coolest part IMO is that you can estimate the stats of the former greats if they played in the current pass happy NFL.

Dan Fout's actual best season, 1981: 4,802 yards (1st), 33 TDs (1st), 93.3 qbr (2nd).

What that would've been in 2012: 5,177 yards (1st), 43 TDs (1st), 105.8 qbr (2nd).

Insanity, driven by misplaced feel good emotion.
Drew was initially loved because at last long suffering Pats fans had a high profile tall, strong armed QB with great physical talent. After an initial career tease, he devolved into risk taking gunslinger mounting up loss after loss. Used his arm, not his head. Never improved; never took coaching. Bledsoephiles forget that he started the 2001 season 0-2, losing to a bottom dwelling Bengals team and then to the Jets where he tossed a drive killing pick into the arms of James Farrior with no Patriot in sight.

As to the Pitt playoff game, HOF delusionists need to realize that his performance was at the level of a competent backup QB at best. Yes, he did finish off the last 40 yds of a Brady drive for a lone TD, but true to his risky, game losing style he idiotically flipped the ball blind sided over his head where luckily it just missed a defender. Even worse he subsequently tossed the ball into Joey Porter's outstretched arms, but the LB dropped the game changing pick six. No way a HOF level performance.

Yup. His numbers (other than obviously rings) also look good against HOFer Terry Bradshaw.

Taken in a vacuum, Drew's numbers aren't all that compared to today. But I just can't use his numbers against his candidacy that way. He's not going to compare statistically to anyone today because the NFL has changed, even from Brady's early years. Compare his numbers to Drew's HOF peers - as that article said - he compares favorably.

He also retired fairly young (35?). His numbers would no doubt be better if he hung around for a bit longer.

One argument used against him is his record as a starter. With Drew as a starter his teams didn't have a great record, I can't remember exactly what it was but it was pretty close to .500... but he did join two gawd awful teams going into the season (93 Pats), 2002 Bills and he had to work with a hideous 2000 Pats team where he was the only offensive weapon they had... it's kind of unfair to expect Drew to turn those teams into 11 or 12 game winners overnight.

How would Bledsoe have done in his later years if Parcells didn't steal Curtis Martin in his prime from the team? We'll never know. How about the fact he had more than one coach and a bunch of OC's? I don't think those things should be held against him either.

I'm on the fence on whether he SHOULD get in, but I think there's an argument to be made that he will.

The same reason you say you can't compare Brady to Bledsoe, is why you can't Bledsoe to Bradshaw, Fouts etc.

But just for fun let's compare the two, If 83 of Brady's TD's went for pics, their numbers in those categories would be even, Brady has 83 more TD's and 83 less interceptions than Bledsoe in about 800 less attempts. Weird how that works out.

Brady 136W 39L 63.7 Comp% 44806 yards 334 TD 123 INT
3X SB Champion 5X AFC Champion 17-7 Playoff Record
8 time Pro Bowl 2 time MVP

Bledsoe 98W 95L 57.2 Comp% 44611 yards 251 TD 206 INT
1X AFC Champion 3-3 Playoff Record 4 time Pro Bowl

I don't see Bledsoe getting in, he doesn't belong in the HOF.

No. 10 characters

JMT, once again, great work. Ever since you brought up this way to judge QBs between different eras (and schooled me), I've used it in debates with peers over how you can throw the stats of older era QBs out the window when comparing them to guys from the 90s-00s. I've also grown more respect for the 70s-90s players as well. What website do you get this info from? I'd like to dive in it some time.

The coolest part IMO is that you can estimate the stats of the former greats if they played in the current pass happy NFL.

Dan Fout's actual best season, 1981: 4,802 yards (1st), 33 TDs (1st), 93.3 qbr (2nd).

What that would've been in 2012: 5,177 yards (1st), 43 TDs (1st), 105.8 qbr (2nd).

Thanks, but I do want to say that I never intended to school you; that just happens to be the way that I personally look at players when assessing their careers.

A while back I noticed that all-time leader boards were so heavily slanted towards current or recent players that I felt there had to be a better way of comparing players. I noticed on the bottom of the individual player pages at Pro Football Reference that they listed top ten years in various different categories, and from there I just compared Player A to Player B. It seems to make more sense than declaring Vinny Testaverde to be one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time because he ranks 7th all time in career passing yards.

Forgetting about Drew Bledsoe for a moment, consider this player: he ranks 9th all-time in career rushing yards. Pretty good, but couldn't possibly be the best ever, right?

Now look at these single-season numbers:

Rushing Yards: 8x led NFL, 9x top 4
Rushing TD: 5x led NFL 5x, 9x top 3
Yards from scrimmage: 6x led NFL, 2x 2nd, 9x top 4
Yards per attempt: 2x led NFL, 2x 2nd, 6x top 4, 9x top 10

The reason he never had more than 9x top 10 in any category?

He only played for nine years.

In case you're wondering who the player is, that's Jim Brown - a whole lot better than just the 9th best running back of all time.

BTW, that's a pretty cool way of comparing players from different eras, comparing the #1 stats of a player from 1981 to the #1 stats of a player in 2012.

Stats only matter so much in the NFL HoF.

Favre's per-game stats are rather pedestrian, imo, but he's a sure bet to get in first ballot. Because it's not just about stats but about wins, and rings and perception.

And the perception of Drew Bledsoe has never been one of a Hall of Fame QB.

Turning that team around and leading them to a Superbowl they had a shot in even though their head coach and star RB were planning to defect are both noteworthy accomplishment that put him well above a Romo or Rivers in my mind. (Rivers could still get there, I'm not willing to call his career done yet. But remember he replaced Brees who went on to do great things, so he's like a reverse Brady and less deserving than Bledsoe easily. Romo we can stick a fork in.) Collins career isn't comparable either I don't think... Bob Kraft was the biggest reason this team ever turned around. But Bledsoe doesn't get near enough cred in that dept.

It's not just numbers, though that's certainly a part of it.

How is Collins' carreer not comparable? Both are high draft picks who got big market teams to the Superbowl but never won a ring, and ended their careers with impressive volume stats, but not so impressive rate stats. They are VERY much alike.

Here's how Bledose fared in relation to the league average in yards per attempt, completion percentage, touchdown percentage, interception percentage and passer rating, which are the most useful stats we have to judge quarterback play. I'm merely going to list his best seasons and his career performance in each of these attributes, judging by how much better he was than the league average in the time those stats were compiled.

Yards per attempt - Best season: 1998, 10% better than league average - Career: 3% worse than league average

Completion percentage - Best season: 1997, 13% better than league average - Career: 3% worse than league average

Touchdown percentage - Best season: 1997, 14% better than league average - Career: 3% worse than league average

Interception percentage - Best season: 2000, 14% better than league average - Career: 2% better than league average

Passer rating - Best season: 1997, 13% better than league average - Career: 2% worse than league average

Drew Bledsoe was great at accumulating stats, had a terrific arm, and ushered in a new era of success for New England football. But there is no way in hell he was a Hall of Fame quarterback.

How is Collins' carreer not comparable? Both are high draft picks who got big market teams to the Superbowl but never won a ring, and ended their careers with impressive volume stats, but not so impressive rate stats. They are VERY much alike.

Here's how Bledose fared in relation to the league average in yards per attempt, completion percentage, touchdown percentage, interception percentage and passer rating, which are the most useful stats we have to judge quarterback play. I'm merely going to list his best seasons and his career performance in each of this attributes, judging by how much better he was than the league average in the time those stats were compiled.

Yards per attempt - Best season: 1998, 10% better than league average - Career: 3% worse than league average

Completion percentage - Best season: 1997, 13% better than league average - Career: 3% worse than league average

Touchdown percentage - Best season: 1997, 14% better than league average - Career: 3% worse than league average

Interception percentage - Best season: 2000, 14% better than league average - Career: 2% better than league average

Passer rating - Best season: 1997, 13% better than league average - Career: 2% worse than league average

Drew Bledsoe was great at accumulating stats, had a terrific arm, and ushered in a new era of success for New England football. But there is no way in hell he was a Hall of Fame quarterback.

Assuming your "league average" stats are legit, this is the definitive post.

Assuming your "league average" stats are legit, this is the definitive post.

Taken from pro-football-reference.com. Forgot to cite them in the original post.

Taken from pro-football-reference.com. Forgot to cite them in the original post.

I would say those stats don't say a lot about Bledsoe but they certainly do say a lot about the fact that Kerry Collins was a very underrated and underappreciated QB. Which he was.

I would say those stats don't say a lot about Bledsoe but they certainly do say a lot about the fact that Kerry Collins was a very underrated and underappreciated QB. Which he was.

Those stats paint Drew Bledsoe as the definition of mediocrity throughout his career. In a thread discussing the merits of him belonging in the Hall of Fame, I'd think they do say a lot.

Other than illustrating that Drew was average or slightly below in just about every notable statistical category over his career, I guess it doesn't say much. :confused4: :confused2:

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
Back