PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe HOF

Other than illustrating that Drew was average or slightly below in just about every notable statistical category over his career, I guess it doesn't say much. :confused4: :confused2:

The problem is that it doesn't illustrate what you claim it illustrates.

The problem is that it doesn't illustrate what you claim it illustrates.

How? You can claim it doesn't illustrate his qualities as a quarterback, or that those stats sell him short as a player, but it absolutely does illustrate Drew Bledsoe was league average in efficiency stats throughout his career.

No way Bledsoe makes the HOF. He'll have a few things working against him:

1) Tom Brady came right after him and outperformed him in just about every way possible. Not saying that it's fair for that to enter the equation, but it will.

2) His greatest claim to the HOF is the volume stats that he put up. Unfortunately, the generation of QBs that came after him--Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc.--are rewriting the record books in those same categories. Manning, Brady and Brees have already passed him on the career passing yards list, and Eli, Big Ben, Rivers, Romo, Schaub, Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford, and Matt Ryan all have a shot at it. I'd guess that at least 3 or 4 of that group will, maybe as many as 6 or 7. 17th on the all-time passing yards list looks a lot less impressive than 7th.

3. He wasn't a terribly efficient QB. His sack percentage was way too high (from 1998 onward, he never did better than 7%). His 3.1% INT% is right up there with the Eli Mannings and Brett Favres of the world. His completion percentage was downright pedestrian. His TD/INT ratio wasn't that good. etc. etc.

4. He never won a Super Bowl

5. He retired too young

So no, I'd say that he won't make it. In an alternate universe, maybe he could have stuck around, won a SB or two at the end of his career on the back of a superior running game, and ridden that into the HOF like Elway did, but that's not how it worked out for him.

The folks who believe that Bledsoe belongs in the HOF are probably the same who thought the Pats would get a second rounder in a for Brian Hoyer.:D

Let Warren Moon in? IMO he was one of the purest passers the NFL has ever seen. If he didn't spend 6 years in the CFL because the NFL wasn't ready for a Black QB then his #s would of been even better.

3 playoff wins in a 17 year career. I think Warren Moon was a very good QB. I don't know that he was ever great though. The Hall of Fame should be about "greatness".

The game in the 90's was a lot closer to the game in the 70's than the game today. It's a passing league now, with favorable rules for offense, and there's a good reason every passing record is being obliterated.

That's nonsense. Hall of Fame QB's from the 70's barely completed 50% of their passes and usually threw more Int's than TD's.

The 90's are far closer to today's game than the 70's. Many of the advances of today's passing offenses have origins in the 80's and 90's. The spread of the West Coast offense and its reliance on the short passing game, for instance, is why QB's regularly complete 60+% of their passes. The Run-n-shoot of the 90's is very similar to what the top passing teams of today do.

"Isn't even close"? Let's not get carried away. He's close.

I agree with the other poster. Not only is it not close, its not even close to being close.

From '94 to '98 he was on path for it but that finger injury that derailed his season in '98 was, for all practical purposes, the end of the Drew Bledsoe we loved. The player who returned after that was never the same guy. The player who returned after that was a shadow of his former self. A player defined by mediocrity.

At the end of the day, he had more mediocre years than quality ones and ended his career on a long drought all despite playing in the same era that you said favors the passing game.

If its so easy to break records in today's NFL, why was Bledsoe so damn bad throughout the 2000's?

Stats only matter so much in the NFL HoF.

Favre's per-game stats are rather pedestrian, imo, but he's a sure bet to get in first ballot. Because it's not just about stats but about wins, and rings and perception.

And the perception of Drew Bledsoe has never been one of a Hall of Fame QB.

I think a significant reason for that is this stat from a previous post:

Top Ten Passer Rating (3): 8th (96), 6th (97), 7th (02)

Admittedly Passer Rating isn't the end all and be all of stats, but it does convey significant information. It doesn't give enough credit to a down the field passer like Bledsoe was. That being said, these career numbers are incredibly bad for someone who is being considered for the Hall of Fame.

Bledsoe will not sniff the HOF unless he visits it.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back