PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

JJ personality does remind me a bit of Brady.
Maye has Herbert Josh Allen arm talent.
I still think JJ has more Velocity on his throws from what my eyes tell me.
I would love to test the velocity on Mayes throws.
JJ while smaller appears to be a a little quicker and is better with setting his feet.
I wish he was in an offense that aired it out as much as NC did so we really could have a fair comparison. I’m still on either Maye or McCarthy followed by Daniel’s, Nix, Pennix.
JJ had the second highest velocity (by a hair) at the combine.

If the Pats draft a QB at #3, I expect they will be drafting high again next year.
Things would have to break crazy good for us not to finish last in the AFCE.

Watching JMilton in different interviews, he just strikes me as a really laid back dude. Even a post game after a great loss he didn't seem that pissed or sad. That particular instance, it turned me off that he didn't seem to take it that seriously, but I wonder if it's because he doesn't feel as much pressure (the quintessential "Joe Cool") and has an "On to Baltimore" mindset.

Guessing you're kidding, and I haven't really watched any tape on the guy except I know he for real has ICBMs, but I wonder if I should start watching.
I am not kidding, per se. I have read that he has a million dollar arm and a ten cent head. Also reading he has horrible accuracy. I have no idea of the young man can play or not, but everything I read says probably not at the NFL level.

I am not kidding, per se. I have read that he has a million dollar arm and a ten cent head. Also reading he has horrible accuracy. I have no idea of the young man can play or not, but everything I read says probably not at the NFL level.
I just completely discounted him that I didn't even bother including him in the "Stats against Ranked Teams over the last 2 years" thingy I had done. He certainly did better than Maye, imho, but I have no idea how Tenn's line was, except that Milton was sacked only 16 times in 12 games, which is low but not as low as Penix, and Nix with his 5 sacks. Was it because of the line, or is he just cool under pressure and doesn't see ghosts like Maye sometimes does, or a combo of both or something else? His RB is mocked to late 3rd (although he's faaast - 10.85 100m as a sophomore in HS - WOW) as the only player mocked in the 1st 5 rounds from Tenn. His WRs seem to be lower than JAGs (while Maye at least had Tez last year).

I thought I was done watching stuff, but I guess I'll have to look at Milt.

Joe Milton (vs avg ranking #8)
1-3 66.7% 234yds 1.5TD 0.25INT

----------

Caleb Williams (vs avg ranking #14)
2-7 68.5% 330yds 2.3TD 0.7INT

Drake Maye (vs avg ranking #18)
1-3 56% 250yds 2.3TD 1INT

Jayden Daniels (vs avg ranking #10)
3-5 68.8% 272yds 2TD 0.4INT

Bo Nix (vs avg ranking #13)
6-5 71.7% 258yds 2.2TD 0.5INT
(Updated: 7-5 71.7% 284yds 2.4TD 0.4INT)

JJ McCarthy (vs avg ranking #7)
5-1 67.1% 184yds 1TD 0.5INT
(Updated: 6-1 65.5% 178yds 0.9TD 0.4INT)

Michael Penix Jr (vs avg ranking #13)
9-0 61.6% 307yds 2.2TD 0.7INT
(Updated 9-1 60.7% 302yds 2.1TD 0.8INT)

EDIT:
Spencer Rattler (vs avg ranking #14)
3-8 63.6% 257yds 1.2TD 1.1INT

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For reference for the most recent for sure HoFer:

Patrick Mahomes
0-8 61.3% 411yds 2.9TD 1.4INT

(Good Gravy he had 88 attempts for 734yds in one game)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Lukewarm on jj and nix also
He loves daniels
If we wind up with Maye, he will require patience and probably would not start this year.
Daniels could probably start soon in year 1

Ha, after the Patriots start 0-8, Kraft will force Mayo to start Maye...and then Maye will be ruined. But the good news is that the Patriots will be picking in the top 3 again next year. The bad news is that Mayo will be the fall guy and get fired.

Ha, after the Patriots start 0-8, Kraft will force Mayo to start Maye...and then Maye will be ruined. But the good news is that the Patriots will be picking in the top 3 again next year. The bad news is that Mayo will be the fall guy and get fired.
Cillian Murphy No GIF by ARTEfr

“HOF owners” gonna HOF owner.

The disrepect against Kraft as the GOAT owner is ridiculous. When he bought the Patriots they were a laughing stock on their way to be relocated to CT, AKA little NY.

Since taking over as owner the Patriots have been to 10 superbowls. Have rarely missed the playoffs and Kraft has had 3 HCs prior to Mayo and all happen to be HOF HCs.

Clearly Kraft knows what he is doing

The disrepect against Kraft as the GOAT owner is ridiculous. When he bought the Patriots they were a laughing stock on their way to be relocated to CT, AKA little NY.

Since taking over as owner the Patriots have been to 10 superbowls. Have rarely missed the playoffs and Kraft has had 3 HCs prior to Mayo and all happen to be HOF HCs.

Clearly Kraft knows what he is doing
Can’t argue the 3 hall of fame coaches

Maye or JJ either way if I'm NE, those are your type of system guys... if you're supposed to be the Packers/49ers now.

Either guy should sit for a year and learn, Brissett could keep you competitive.

Fix the line, get some weapons, in that order.

Josh Allen scouting report from 2018. Almost a carbon copy of maye’s. Gotta develop him properly though

Maye or JJ either way if I'm NE, those are your type of system guys... if you're supposed to be the Packers/49ers now.

Either guy should sit for a year and learn, Brissett could keep you competitive.

Fix the line, get some weapons, in that order.
We keep on saying "fix the line". I presume that we will add 2 OT's before the end of Day 2, probably a free agent and a LT at the bottom of the first or at 34.

IMO, this will give us a solid OL for 2025, with the "normal" annual replacements.

Josh Allen scouting report from 2018. Almost a carbon copy of maye’s. Gotta develop him properly though
Allen was my Binkie of all binkies but knew he was never landing here.

We keep on saying "fix the line". I presume that we will add 2 OT's before the end of Day 2, probably a free agent and a LT at the bottom of the first or at 34.

IMO, this will give us a solid OL for 2025, with the "normal" annual replacements.
They could draft multiple tackles, they could still sign a free agent like Andrus Peat who could step in and start immediately at LT... the important thing is they fix it.

I've said this for months now.

From the competition each faced. Accuracy issues stemming from poor footwork. Both are hyper aggressive. Minus the laser arm Maye is so similar to Allen.

I've been meaning to post on him but his biggest concern is his footwork. He improves that and so much will fall into place. I'll try tonight to look at specifics, just always working. I want to though bc it's the elephant in the room with him.

They could draft multiple tackles, they could still sign a free agent like Andrus Peat who could step in and start immediately at LT... the important thing is they fix it.
So, "fix the line" really means that we find a starting LT and a developmental backup?

That's fine.

Last edited:

Allen’s accuracy issues were far worse than Mayes are, but I agree that they are very similar players coming out of school.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back