PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

Mayo said this about Maye, "Drake Maye had a fantastic interview at the combine..."

Good gawd, are we going back to that? Supposedly what sold BB on N'Keal Harry was the great interview he gave.

We may be in one of those situations like the Giants with Tisch and Mara where they muffed one first round pick after another (but hit on later picks) seemingly as if the owners were making the first picks (there were some real lemons there). I get the feeling that Kraft is going to force a pick of a QB at three.

I think the Patriots should trade back and select someone like JJ or Bo Nix. The intensity and dedication to hard work by JJ makes him my top choice (Brady-esque?)

Last edited:
I would not be happy with Maye at 3. He does not seem that much better than Mac Jones, at least in the highlight films I saw.

I knew Mac Jones. Mac Jones was a Quarterback of mine. Sir, Drake Maye is no Mac Jones.

After all the workouts and rumors, it is highly likely it's Williams then Maye then Daniels as it was before all that.
Washington was downright giddy at the Maye workout, and they have no need to put on any act since they know Chicago is going Williams.
To me there have been 2 blue chip prospects, then a drop to Daniels, then a drop to JJ and Penix, then another drop to Nix and the rest.

I'm hoping maybe Washington buys into the JJ hype. I'm not sold on Daniels or JJ so hope Maye gets to 3.

This all started I said I'd trade up for Maye if needed, multiple firsts no problem, have not changed my mind.

Mayo said this about Maye, "Drake Maye had a fantastic interview at the combine..."

Good gawd, are we going back to that? Supposedly what sold BB on N'Keal Harry was the great interview he gave.

We may be in one of those situations like the Giants with Tisch and Mara where they muffed one first round pick after another (but hit on later picks) seemingly as if the owners were making the first picks (there were some real lemons there). I get the feeling that Kraft is going to force a pick of a QB at three.

I think the Patriots should trade back and select someone like JJ or Bo Nix. The intensity and dedication to hard work by JJ makes him my top choice (Brady-esque?)
JJ personality does remind me a bit of Brady.
Maye has Herbert Josh Allen arm talent.
I still think JJ has more Velocity on his throws from what my eyes tell me.
I would love to test the velocity on Mayes throws.
JJ while smaller appears to be a a little quicker and is better with setting his feet.
I wish he was in an offense that aired it out as much as NC did so we really could have a fair comparison. I’m still on either Maye or McCarthy followed by Daniel’s, Nix, Pennix.

Commanders are picking Maye i.m.o. You people are so enamored about (The 3). I don't get it. I'm a Brady/Purdy template guy. Just gamers, has handled pressure in college well, quick decision maker, quick release, less talented players as a cast, pocket passer and read defenses well. PERFECT! Thats all i need from that position to win. These types of qb's are there after the first 3 picks. We are at the bottom and the fastest way up I see is to get weaponize with top of class recievers and o-line help now. It's a 3 year min rebuild.

Bunch of people posting here who have absolutely no clue what they are talking about.
Pls enlight us and also add the lottery numbers

Let’s not sleep on Penix, he could be a late riser.
Two ACL tears in college. I realize Gronk was almost in the same boat, but he's not the most important player on the field. If you're going to trade down, maybe. Maybe at 34 in that case, or 3rd round.

After watching some of Penix's pro day and considering his body of work, I think he's gonna be a very good NFL QB. Best arm of the bunch and ran a 4.5 yesterday. I think he's now way ahead of Nix and we'll be talking about a top 5 by draft day.

Two ACL tears in college. I realize Gronk was almost in the same boat, but he's not the most important player on the field. If you're going to trade down, maybe. Maybe at 34 in that case, or 3rd round.
yeah but so what about the knee surgeries? they were years ago, they're not affecting him now at all. I think he's now top 15 if not higher.

Don't take either of those two at #11; keep trading down into the 20s - Think of the haul! - THEN take Bo Nix and NOT Penix.

Or, with one of the acquired picks, take Spencer Rattler in the 3rd round.
Follow Cap’n’s approach or be prepared to have another four-win season. Play the rookie QB? Ruin him like Corky?

Best arm of the bunch [taking about Michael Penix]
True. Except for Joe Milton. Did you see him throw that 90-yarder at Tennessee’s pro day?

Weird we have two QB's coming out, one names Nix and another names Penix, has to be the first time two QB's get drafted with an X in their name.

I refer to Penix as Michael Penis Jr.

From what I understand we are officially in the disinformation campaign stage of the pre-draft process. Teams will leak pros and cons of players depending on who they want. I heard Sam Palazallo tell the story of in the year that Jacksonville drafted Borttles, they put a fake draft board up that was leaked to the media.

Follow Cap’n’s approach or be prepared to have another four-win season. Play the rookie QB? Ruin him like Corky?

Preach....Break the mold Mayo, be bold, fans will appreciate your vision not to redo 2021 patriots 1st round pick. Team building, not just a Superstar pick.

After watching some of Penix's pro day and considering his body of work, I think he's gonna be a very good NFL QB. Best arm of the bunch and ran a 4.5 yesterday. I think he's now way ahead of Nix and we'll be talking about a top 5 by draft day.
He has a rifle arm, but telegraphs his throws. He could have good movement in the pocket, but the highlights I saw did not showcase his running or elusiveness. Bad knees? Ugh, did not know about that....

yeah but so what about the knee surgeries? they were years ago, they're not affecting him now at all. I think he's now top 15 if not higher.
It's evidence that he is injury prone. Which turned out to be true of Gronk too, but TE is not the most important position on the field. Gronk was electric on the field, but he missed a lot of games (including some huge playoff games) and was hampered at times during games he didn't miss. When healthy, he was a generational great, a game breaker. But you can't have that at the QB position.

I can't predict the future, sure. But betting his health issues are behind him is a risky bet. Worth it at some point in the draft, but not in the first round. I wouldn't be surprised to see him passed over until round 3.

Zach Wilson 2.0?

Maye definitely has that potential, especially if a bad team like the Patriots draft him (because the owner insisted) and he has no talent around him. Right now, the Patriots will ruin most any QB they draft unless they upgrade their OL and WRs; so far they have been pathetic in this regard. Management keeps telling us that their pathetic moves will be reversed during draft day. Sure....

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back