PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

Wow. Fred, don't know where your assessment of Nix is coming from but it's  way off.
Hes nor even close to Maye,Daniels,Williams ,Penix or even McCarthy. Maybe not even Travis.
Nix is a jag. Solid nfl backup.
I've seen most of Oregon's games this year cuz I've liked that team for a while.
And I like Nix. Just don't want him starting for my team. Cuz that means my team sucks.

Ha, I would be the first to acknowledge that I am not an expert. Not even close. This is just my uninformed opinion based on the highlights I saw. Of course, highlight reels only show the good stuff, but wow. He has a rocket arm and quick release. He also showed pinpoint accuracy, more so than Drake Mays (at least from what I saw); his WRs did not have to break stride to catch his throws.

I am aware that the draftnix, gurus, and guides place him in round two as a backup QB, but I am curious about why. What where his drawbacks? I am not being a wiseacre here or questioning your evaluation, I was just curious about Nix. He looks like the real deal to my untrained eye.

And I could not help noticing his favorite WR, Troy Franklin. He would be a nice pickup also....in my dreams

Wow. Fred, don't know where your assessment of Nix is coming from but it's  way off.
Hes nor even close to Maye,Daniels,Williams ,Penix or even McCarthy. Maybe not even Travis.
Nix is a jag. Solid nfl backup.
I've seen most of Oregon's games this year cuz I've liked that team for a while.
And I like Nix. Just don't want him starting for my team. Cuz that means my team sucks.

Agree completely. Nix isn’t going to be a great QB. He might be able to hold down a job but he’s not going to be a top 10 QB in the NFL.

I am aware that the draftnix, gurus, and guides place him in round two as a backup QB, but I am curious about why. What where his drawbacks? I am not being a wiseacre here or questioning your evaluation, I was just curious about Nix. He looks like the real deal to my untrained eye.

Bo Nix has some similarities to Jayden Daniels in terms of years as a starter, getting better once he had a good team and concept around him etc.
The issues with NIX are:
-28% of his passes are Behind the Line of Scrimmage (Comparison Drake Maye is 15%, Daniels is 13%)
-He struggled at Auburn, Oregon has an offensive concept that gets time to throw and open receivers.
-Over his career he ranks in the 19th percentile for accuracy from a clean pocket from PFF, lower than Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix, Rattler and Travis. He did really well in his final season but have to wonder if the accuracy from the first 4 years is more indicative of his accuracy being an issue.
-Average Depth of Target was 6 yards (Daniels and Maye was 10 Yards)
-The biggest issue with NIX is can he throw the ball downfield accurately on a regular basis. He struggled doing that at the senior bowl. His senior bowl performance was not good, he had accuracy issues down the field, which is his main question, something he did not need to do regularly at Oregon.
-He could be a starting NFL QB, but he does not have a sample size of throws that has proven it, thus he's a bigger risk than some others and not a first-round worthy pick.

The issues with NIX are:
-28% of his passes are Behind the Line of Scrimmage (Comparison Drake Maye is 15%, Daniels is 13%)
-He struggled at Auburn, Oregon has an offensive concept that gets time to throw and open receivers.
-Over his career he ranks in the 19th percentile for accuracy from a clean pocket from PFF, lower than Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix, Rattler and Travis. He did really well in his final season but have to wonder if the accuracy from the first 4 years is more indicative of his accuracy being an issue.
-Average Depth of Target was 6 yards (Daniels and Maye was 10 Yards)
-The biggest issue with NIX is can he throw the ball downfield accurately on a regular basis. He struggled doing that at the senior bowl. His senior bowl performance was not good, he had accuracy issues down the field, which is his main question, something he did not need to do regularly at Oregon.
-He could be a starting NFL QB, but he does not have a sample size of throws that has proven it, thus he's a bigger risk than some others and not a first-round worthy pick.
Was gonna reply to Fred this morning but you pretty much summed it up.
Dink and dunk

Was gonna reply to Fred this morning but you pretty much summed it up.
Dink and dunk
Well if Penix Jr or Bo Nix are there @ 34 I call that value. Trade #3 for a haul get a LT and WR in the First we need the Offensive picks two are better than one.

Yeah it's not even close.
JJM should be no higher than the 5th qb taken.
Definitely take Maye ir Daniels over him.
I'd take Penix over him as well.
Love your posts Brother.

Vikings are obsessed with Maye.
Article says San Darnold and Josh Mccown watched Mayes game tape together.
One of the links there had a suggestion that the Vikings would trade #11 and #23 to the Chargers for #5, and then offer #5 and next year’s #1 for the Pats pick at #3.

Would you do it?

Is JJ McCarthy going to get someone trading up with Arizona for him or can we get him at #5?

I wouldn’t do it as proposed, due to the risk of getting none of the top four QBs, but Minnesota is a desperate team, and desperate teams are great trade partners.

If Minnesota wants to give up their 2nd round pick this year in addition I’m in.

Signing Brissett helps, but with our slapdash line and makeshift running game (no RB over 600 yards in a year where our starting QBs were struggling and we NEEDED to be able to run the ball? Really?) , you really think we're ready to let a young QB make young QB mistakes out there? You really think we can tolerate Drake May's learning experiences any better than we did with Jones? I don't.
Gotta get the QB. But look at the Chiefs. They were marginal playoff caliber before Mahomes. You’re right. We’re too far in the talent deficit.

Upgrade at other positions in the draft. Esp LT and WR. Roll with Jacoby.

Have the ability to delay gratification on a QB. I think taking a flyer on a second day strong-armed QB—Spencer Rattler!—also makes sense.

If we trade back, then presumably we can acquire additional picks both this year and next. So we should be in decent shape for a possible trade up in 2025.

This is a two year rebuild. If we hit on the draft.

Something for guys to check out in the meanwhile.
All-22: Drake Maye's final college game
Wow. Very disappointing game by Drake Maye. Watching this I kept recalling Jan 1, 2000, the day Y2K was supposed to take us out and TB took his Michigan team, put them on his shoulders, and defeated a superior opponent in the Alabama Crimson Tide in the Orange Bowl in Miami.

It might be unfair to judge these two on their last collegiate game but I find it instructive.

It makes me think JJ McCarthy will get picked ahead of Maye.

One of the links there had a suggestion that the Vikings would trade #11 and #23 to the Chargers for #5, and then offer #5 and next year’s #1 for the Pats pick at #3.

Would you do it?

Is JJ McCarthy going to get someone trading up with Arizona for him or can we get him at #5?

I wouldn’t do it as proposed, due to the risk of getting none of the top four QBs, but Minnesota is a desperate team, and desperate teams are great trade partners.

If Minnesota wants to give up their 2nd round pick this year in addition I’m in.
That would be interesting because if the Patriots like Mccarhy as much as Maye it would be worth it.
If you knew AZ was 100 percent not trading their pick.

Wow. Very disappointing game by Drake Maye. Watching this I kept recalling Jan 1, 2000, the day YTK was supposed to take us out and TB took his Michigan team, put them on his shoulders, and defeated a superior opponent in the Alabama Crimson Tide in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

It’s might be unfair to judge these two on their last collegiate game but I find it instructive.

It makes me think JJ McCarthy will get picked ahead of Maye.
geez .... trade-down looking a bit more attractive.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back