PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

Wow. Very disappointing game by Drake Maye. Watching this I kept recalling Jan 1, 2000, the day YTK was supposed to take us out and TB took his Michigan team, put them on his shoulders, and defeated a superior opponent in the Alabama Crimson Tide in the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans.

It’s might be unfair to judge these two on their last collegiate game but I find it instructive.

It makes me think JJ McCarthy will get picked ahead of Maye.
You never know, we'll find out soon.

IF you like McCarthy just as much as Maye/Daniels:

It could be interesting to coordinate with the Chargers/Vikings for a 3 way deal. Moving down to 5, letting the Vikings get to 3, and us and the Chargers getting Minnesota’s draft capital could be an interesting way to land the QB and get some extra capital.

That’s my QB
JJ McCarthy might not have as high a ceiling as Maye, but JJM proved himself a winner. Maye? Not so much. His last game NC State looked like the 1985 Miami Hurricanes. I’m coming around to Wolverine.

Maye might be not as compelling esp at pick three. Trading back to get a good rookie WR in addition to a QB makes a lot of sense.

JJ McCarthy might not have as high a ceiling as Maye, but JJM proved himself a winner. Maye? Not so much. His last game NC State looked like the 1985 Miami Hurricanes. I’m coming around to Wolverine.

Maye might be not as compelling esp at pick three. Trading back to get a good rookie WR in addition to a QB makes a lot of sense.
I feel like you have to go back to the Michigan well.
The kids a winner played in a pro style offense against top competiton,
Maye is a talent who played against lesser competition with lesser talent around him.

You have to be damn sure Maye is ready to make the huge leap.
Josh Allen did it but that’s not the norm.
I know Maye threw a lot more passes and basically was his team with lesser coaches as well.
I lean on Wolf and AVP on this and pray they get it right.
Taking Maye at 3 to watch McCarthy go at 4 or 5 and have a better career and vice versa taking the more polished Mccartjy to watch Maye become Josh Allen elsewhere would seriously suck as well:

That would be interesting because if the Patriots like Mccarhy as much as Maye it would be worth it.
If you knew AZ was 100 percent not trading their pick.
"There will be a big neon sign that says 'open' and I don't like it blinking, it messes with my eyes, but we're always going to be listening,"

That was the Arizona's GM statement. I just think we have had 4 top QB prospects land in our lap at the same time we really need one. If we get greedy we could lose out. Just identify your guy and pick him at 3. If you don't really like one of the 4, trade out.

If both Maye and McCarthy hit their ceiling, Maye will be by far the better QB. Probably Allen tier. If you trust your coaching, take him. McCarthy's ceiling isn't as high as Maye's. But his floor isn't as low.

Again, if the organization trusts coaching, take Maye. It's a risky pick. But so were Mahomes & Allen.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if Kraft wants Maye/Daniels, Patriots pick McCarthy, and the former end up outperforming the latter, both GM/HC are probably out of a job.

Not really sure Mayo cleared things up for me of where he stands as far as The Drake goes.
Is he saying if the Pats land him that he will need time to develop, so he'll sit most of the year, or is he saying his floor isn't high enough so it would a big risk taking The Drake at 3? The last bit gives them a reason to trade down.
It's true he's young, 21, and only played 2 full years but his first year starting with some talent around him he did quite well. Last year, with less talent and all new coaches on offense around him, he had to improvise a lot and you could tell by how much he had to leave the pocket and he wasn't all that comfortable as teams had a spy on him more often.
It's going to be a long 4 weeks until the draft.

Wow. Very disappointing game by Drake Maye. Watching this I kept recalling Jan 1, 2000, the day Y2K was supposed to take us out and TB took his Michigan team, put them on his shoulders, and defeated a superior opponent in the Alabama Crimson Tide in the Orange Bowl in Miami.

It might be unfair to judge these two on their last collegiate game but I find it instructive.

It makes me think JJ McCarthy will get picked ahead of Maye.
I charted all 38 plays, was not a bad game by Maye, had very good anticipation on throws, seemed to pick the right receivers most times, a couple inaccurate throws down the field, receivers were terrible. Made good decisions most of the time. Hit the few wide-open guys, hit many tight windows. Pretty impressive with constant blitzing, bad receivers, some ridiculously bad play calls.
There were 2 plays I thought he just seemed like a plain bad throw or decision, 6 plays could have been better, 12 plays/decisions that were excellent, the remainder, 18 plays, were solid plays or he did what he should have been expected to do.
Field was pretty slick.
Play 1 receiver fell
Play 2 RB outlet slipped and fell
Play 4, he slipped getting out of pocket
Play 19, he slipped moving up in pocket, but got ball to outlet.

Not really sure Mayo cleared things up for me of where he stands as far as The Drake goes.
Is he saying if the Pats land him that he will need time to develop, so he'll sit most of the year, or is he saying his floor isn't high enough so it would a big risk taking The Drake at 3? The last bit gives them a reason to trade down.
It's true he's young, 21, and only played 2 full years but his first year starting with some talent around him he did quite well. Last year, with less talent and all new coaches on offense around him, he had to improvise a lot and you could tell by how much he had to leave the pocket and he wasn't all that comfortable as teams had a spy on him more often.
It's going to be a long 4 weeks until the draft.

Mayo provides the same amount of insight as BB, just in a different manner. Snorts and curt answers vs. long, contradictory answers. I hope it is intentional.

The issues with NIX are:
-28% of his passes are Behind the Line of Scrimmage (Comparison Drake Maye is 15%, Daniels is 13%)
-He struggled at Auburn, Oregon has an offensive concept that gets time to throw and open receivers.
-Over his career he ranks in the 19th percentile for accuracy from a clean pocket from PFF, lower than Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthy, Penix, Rattler and Travis. He did really well in his final season but have to wonder if the accuracy from the first 4 years is more indicative of his accuracy being an issue.
-Average Depth of Target was 6 yards (Daniels and Maye was 10 Yards)
-The biggest issue with NIX is can he throw the ball downfield accurately on a regular basis. He struggled doing that at the senior bowl. His senior bowl performance was not good, he had accuracy issues down the field, which is his main question, something he did not need to do regularly at Oregon.
-He could be a starting NFL QB, but he does not have a sample size of throws that has proven it, thus he's a bigger risk than some others and not a first-round worthy pick.

OK, I have to go with your opinion since, obviously, you have done your homework. I did watch his Combine workout, and they mentioned that he had completion percentage of 85% when you figure in drops, but maybe that was because he had excellent WRs.

Last edited:
Zach Wilson to the T.
McCarthy has a decent arm. I won’t hold that against him. Having a strong arm and being athletic is a good thing these days.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back