PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drafting A Starting OT Who Could Start at RG

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Tackle to Guard conversions are Danny Watkins and Marcus Cannon. I think eitehr could start right away. I am projecting the Pats take at least three OLinemen in the draft. Brandon Fusco (who was interviewed by the Patriots at the combine) is another player that could move from C to OG.

There seem to be quite a few people high on watkins but I for one find it hard to spend a 2nd rd pick on a player who will be 27 years old before his first NFL season starts. Will be 31 before his rookie contract is up. seems like a short term return for the high pick.

We sign players for four years, or for 3 plus one year of RFA which is still four years. After that, they are UFA's and can play anywhere.

I see no problem with signing a player for four years 27-31.

There seem to be quite a few people high on watkins but I for one find it hard to spend a 2nd rd pick on a player who will be 27 years old before his first NFL season starts. Will be 31 before his rookie contract is up. seems like a short term return for the high pick.

Actually, most people had him as a TACKLE with a possibility as going to guard. Most people didn't have him on the Pats radar. The few that did have him on their lists, had him at RT, not LG.

Tackle is where the 49ers wanted him to play. And they would have taken him if the Pats didn't.

Hey, I had him on my prediction list for the Pats at LG! :snob: (It's just about the only correct draft prediction I've ever made, so I have to take it out and polish it now and again.) Mankins may have been considered at RT elsewhere, but people mocking for the Patriots were focused on LG for the simple reason that the team had a wide-open starting spot there with Andruzzi's departure.

This year is much harder to get a handle on because there's so much flux all over the line. Right now the only guaranteed pieces are a tackle who can play either side and a center many here would like to replace. So you can easily picture BB drafting a "pure" T, C or OG, or a tweener of any description -- and as many as 3 or 4 altogether. Sherrod + Moffitt? Sure, that fits. Carimi + Watkins + Fusco? Yep, that makes sense. Carpenter + Boling + Person + Kirkpatrick? It could happen. Etc., etc., etc.

Actually, most people had him as a TACKLE with a possibility as going to guard. Most people didn't have him on the Pats radar. The few that did have him on their lists, had him at RT, not LG.

Tackle is where the 49ers wanted him to play. And they would have taken him if the Pats didn't.

Not true........every draft site I went had him projected at OG.......even I had the pats picking him in my mock ...... To play OG

Why did he play as an OG t the senior bowl?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/67218.html

Draft scout had him as an OG first
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=54434

So the niners were going to draft mnkins to play LT even though they used th very next pick to draft Baas to play OG with plenty of solid prospects available at OT?
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft...o.com/nfldraft/draft05/tracker/position?id=47

Last edited:
What are people's thoughts on Fusco? I'm intrigued by him. Could he play guard for a year and then take over from Koppen in 2012? Or would he just be a backup type this year who needs a bit of development?

What are people's thoughts on Fusco? I'm intrigued by him. Could he play guard for a year and then take over from Koppen in 2012? Or would he just be a backup type this year who needs a bit of development?

Fusco held up pretty well at the Senior Bowl for someone who's never even faced a Division 1 defensive lineman before. He's big, in shape, is very fast for his size (he ran a 5.09 at 314 pounds), and most importantly to me, he looks like a Patriots offensive lineman -- oblong-headed white guy with a hideous beard. But after blowing up the Combine a little, I doubt he'll last to the middle rounds.

The tackle-guard conversions I like best are Ilajana and Marcus Cannon, although I don't see the Pats drafting Cannon -- they never go for those jumbo-sized interior linemen. Should also note that they had Castanzo playing guard a little at the Senior Bowl. He seems to me like the most natural draft target; ready to play right now, can play both left and right tackle, he's a local kid and I think he was recruited by BB's old QB coach from the Browns, Gary Tranquill.

The Pats have an interesting history of whom they choose to convert to G. I remember Light, Mankins, Kaczur, Bussey (just off the top of my head) as being projected to OG in the NFL. Ironically, the only guy they moved is Mankins - he's the one guy I expected them to keep at OT because they took him in the 1st.

So I guess having said that, it makes the possibility of "drafting an OT who could start at OG" - as this thread is called - somewhat remote. It's far more likely that we draft an OT to play OT and a G/C type for the interior. But just when any of us think we know what the Patriots might do .............. we realize we really don't.

Fusco held up pretty well at the Senior Bowl for someone who's never even faced a Division 1 defensive lineman before. He's big, in shape, is very fast for his size (he ran a 5.09 at 314 pounds), and most importantly to me, he looks like a Patriots offensive lineman -- oblong-headed white guy with a hideous beard. But after blowing up the Combine a little, I doubt he'll last to the middle rounds.

The tackle-guard conversions I like best are Ilajana and Marcus Cannon, although I don't see the Pats drafting Cannon -- they never go for those jumbo-sized interior linemen. Should also note that they had Castanzo playing guard a little at the Senior Bowl. He seems to me like the most natural draft target; ready to play right now, can play both left and right tackle, he's a local kid and I think he was recruited by BB's old QB coach from the Browns, Gary Tranquill.
I concur regarding Fusco, Ijalana (I finally watched my DVR'd Villanova @ Eastern Washington game last night and Ijalana screamed NE OL with his light feet and penchant for putting DEs and LBs on roller skates for ten+ yards upfield, needs to get stronger, but that's normal), and Cannon. I'm not sold on Castonzo even though he's got NE OL athleticism, BC pedigree, and position flexibility; can't put my finger on why though, still hunch level analysis. :bricks:

I've raised Ijalana and Fusco to draft priorities, targeting later round Tackles like Ziemba or Reid. I need to go back and rewatch Mike Person's Combine to get a feel for him, but good athletic numbers.

Fusco held up pretty well at the Senior Bowl for someone who's never even faced a Division 1 defensive lineman before. He's big, in shape, is very fast for his size (he ran a 5.09 at 314 pounds), and most importantly to me, he looks like a Patriots offensive lineman -- oblong-headed white guy with a hideous beard.

Fun quiz time! Which is Brandon Fusco, and which is Mike Person?

A.
2495283.jpg
B.
2495325.jpg

A.
6'4.0" 306 5.21 9'0" 28.5 4.43 7.29

B.
6'4.5" 299 5.21 9'0" 28.5 4.50 7.44

Guys - the original premise of the thread was college tackles that could start at tackle in the NFL and could also start at G in the NFL, not college tackles that aren't good enough to start at tackle in the NFL and thus be converted to G out of necessity. The former is much more difficult to identify than the latter.

Last edited:
Guys - the original premise of the thread was college tackles that could start at tackle in the NFL and could also start at G in the NFL, not college tackles that aren't good enough to start at tackle in the NFL and thus be converted to G out of necessity.

...plus the requirement that he be able to start at guard immediately. I gave you four names, what do you think of them?

Clint Boling
James Carpenter
Jason Pinkston
Stephen Schilling

(Marcus Cannon is intriguing too, I just have trouble picturing the Pats biting on a 358-lb OG.)

...plus the requirement that he be able to start at guard immediately. I gave you four names, what do you think of them?

Clint Boling
James Carpenter
Jason Pinkston
Stephen Schilling

(Marcus Cannon is intriguing too, I just have trouble picturing the Pats biting on a 358-lb OG.)

Personally, I don't see any of Boling, Pinkston, or Schilling ever playing OT at the next level, much less being able to start there right away. Pinkston is the one that stands out to me as most likely able to be plugged in as a starting G right away, although like you I'm very intrigued by Cannon's potential if he can keep from eating his signing bonus.

Guys - the original premise of the thread was college tackles that could start at tackle in the NFL and could also start at G in the NFL, not college tackles that aren't good enough to start at tackle in the NFL and thus be converted to G out of necessity. The former is much more difficult to identify than the latter.

Clint Boling
James Carpenter
Jason Pinkston
Stephen Schilling

Personally, I don't see any of Boling, Pinkston, or Schilling ever playing OT at the next level, much less being able to start there right away. Pinkston is the one that stands out to me as most likely able to be plugged in as a starting G right away, although like you I'm very intrigued by Cannon's potential if he can keep from eating his signing bonus.

Yes, I was bemusedly thinking the same thing, Brother Dog.

The fact is ~ as I summarized, earlier in this thread ~ that very few stalwart O Tackles make stalwart O Guards, and Vice Versa.

I like Boling, Pinkston, AND Schilling, and consider Carpenter an intriguing Project...But I wouldn't want ANY of them to play a DAY at O Tackle...And I consider Boling, Schilling, and Carpenter to have "Good" UpSide, only, whereas I, in the wake of the PlayOff debacles against the Giants, Ravens, and Jets, am dead set on getting "GREAT" at Right Guard. Pinkston has a shot at "Excellent", and I might be persuaded to consider that. :snob:

Fun quiz time! Which is Brandon Fusco, and which is Mike Person?

A.
2495283.jpg
B.
2495325.jpg

A.
6'4.0" 306 5.21 9'0" 28.5 4.43 7.29

B.
6'4.5" 299 5.21 9'0" 28.5 4.50 7.44
PM coming at you. :cool:

Who among the OT's is ready to start (if Light isn't re-signed), and is also ready to start ot OG if Light comes back?
====================
Draftek now has Pinkston at #33, after having Costonzo at #17.

Pinkston at #92 not #33!

My conversion choices are Gabe Carimi #28, or Marcus Cannon #33, or Clint Boling or Benjamin Ijalana #60 and late rounds DeMarcus Love andor Derek Hall

I’d like the Pats take at least three OL and hope they draft either John Moffit #74 or Brandon Fusco #124 both could move from C to G.

AGAIN, with the Conversions!!
jester.gif

I suppose it's MY fault, for introducing the notion in Reply #1!! :D

Does anyone think Light could make the transition inside to guard if they spend one of their top 3 picks on a tackle. Resign him with the understanding he would move to guard would provide stability on the line as well as insurance if the tackle needs time to get up to speed. I tried bringing this up in another thread but it turned into a battle of interpreting BB's words.

He does have the size BB likes at guard. Light at 6'4 305 is the same size as Neal and 5 pounds lighter than Mankins.

Does anyone think Light could make the transition inside to guard if they spend one of their top 3 picks on a tackle. Resign him with the understanding he would move to guard would provide stability on the line as well as insurance if the tackle needs time to get up to speed. I tried bringing this up in another thread but it turned into a battle of interpreting BB's words.

He does have the size BB likes at guard. Light at 6'4 305 is the same size as Neal and 5 pounds lighter than Mankins.
I believe Light would be successful at LG; however, despite his age and his beloved status as a NE fan base whipping boy, he retains significant NFL value as a starting LT and NE's bid to return him as a Guard would be easily outbid. I expect him back and I doubt NE goes OT high unless it's a T/G candidate in the second or third rounds.

I believe Light would be successful at LG; however, despite his age and his beloved status as a NE fan base whipping boy, he retains significant NFL value as a starting LT and NE's bid to return him as a Guard would be easily outbid. I expect him back and I doubt NE goes OT high unless it's a T/G candidate in the second or third rounds.

You're probably right, my thinking was that he has had problems with speed edge rushers in the past and will be 33 when and if the season starts. Moving him inside would obviously make that less of a concern.

While we're talking OL: Tulane Pro-Day
OT Pete Hendrickson: (6-foot-7 3/8, 304 pounds) — He ran the 40-yard dash in 5.04 seconds with the wind and 5.14 against it, 4.62 in the short shuttle and 7.28 in the 3-cone drill. He also had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-4 broad jump and did 25 bench-press repetitions at 225 pounds.
Okay, here's the interesting part:
-- Vollmer, Mankins, Kaczur were all college Left Tackles.
-- All were from Mid-Major, Non-AQ conferences.
-- All were First Team All-Conference their senior season.

Hendrickson misses those marks by "only" being All-Conference Honorable Mention, while putting up athletic marks competitive with the top Tackles at the Combine (and Vollmer's Pro-Day scores).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News