PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumors

I've been saying for 2 months that Robinson has just as much freakish ability as Clowney. Other than Joe Thomas (who went #2 in 2007) and Orlando Pace (#1 in 1997), no OT that I can think of even comes close since Jonathan Ogden/Walter Jones in 1996.

Agreed. I think the lack of evidence of him pass blocking has mistaken early on for not being good at it. He's better at his position than the quarterback prospects are.

Agreed. I think the lack of evidence of him pass blocking has mistaken early on for not being good at it. He's better at his position than the quarterback prospects are.

I've heard reports that he's in consideration for #1 by Texas, but they already have a very good LT in Duane Brown, and I doubt they will go that way unless they rate him much higher than anyone else.

What's interesting is St. Louis at #2, for 2 reasons. First, they could opt to go with a WR like Sammy Watkins. Second, Jeff Fisher coaches Bruce Matthews, and he may opt for the more developed prospect, though to my mind Robinson is in a totally different class than Matthews. They could trade back a few spots and be guaranteed to get one of the 3.

Daniel Jeremiah had this little blurb on Twitter today:

Better tandem for STL... Watkins/Lewan or Robinson/Evans?

I'm not a Lewan fan, os I have a clear opinion on that one.

According to Doug Kyed, Pats had a long meeting with Marqise Lee at the combine

I've read that they're starting the process of negotiating a new contract with him. That doesn't suggest a lack of trust.

imho that would be a shot in the foot, he's clearly a mental midget when it comes to playoffs and not that good of a QB, I mean, he's good, he's a pro, but he doesn't excel in any fundamental skill.

As far as I know they have a great defense and a very balanced offense. It would not hurt draft a QB in 2nd or 3rd round since it's a deep draft and they are headed to be in the bottom half of the draft order for the next years.

These guys lie about everything, my guess is the Browns are thinking of trading down

I've been saying for 2 months that Robinson has just as much freakish ability as Clowney. Other than Joe Thomas (who went #2 in 2007) and Orlando Pace (#1 in 1997), no OT that I can think of even comes close since Jonathan Ogden/Walter Jones in 1996.

I agree, i have had him as the best player in this draft for a while now. I would take him over Clowney every time.

I agree, i have had him as the best player in this draft for a while now. I would take him over Clowney every time.

What if you're not in need of a franchise LT, like the Texans? :D

That would be a surprise if they didn't go quarterback, but if they decided not to, I am guessing they would take Sammy Watkins. That would be a great wr combo with him and Gordon!!!

I would think that the Browns would look to improve their defense over adding a WR that early.

I would think that the Browns would look to improve their defense over adding a WR that early.

It would be interesting if Clowney is still on the board for them when they pick what they do. They could go Mack as well. Their number one need is a quarterback but if they like Carr, they obviously won't draft him with the number 4 pick. I think Watkins also makes sense to add another weapon to that offense. Going to be very interesting!!!!!

According to Doug Kyed, Pats had a long meeting with Marqise Lee at the combine

Not that I put that much stock into this, but I find that interesting from my perspective because last year, one of my favorite prospects was Lee's teammate Robert Woods. I really liked Woods, but always came away that Lee was much better. Didn't think we'd have a shot at him cuz before the season started many were projecting Lee to be top 10.

Why is that?

Call it PatsFans folklore. :) There used to be a popular belief that the Patriots were so determined to put up "smokescreens" and obfuscate their draft plans that public shows of interest in a prospect meant he was off their boards.

One thing that's true is that the pre-draft visit list doesn't seem to predict much. I don't think that's a matter of smokescreens so much as resource allocation strategy -- they use the visits to learn more about players they have question marks about, rather than to wine & dine the guys they're already confident in.

Not that I put that much stock into this, but I find that interesting from my perspective because last year, one of my favorite prospects was Lee's teammate Robert Woods. I really liked Woods, but always came away that Lee was much better. Didn't think we'd have a shot at him cuz before the season started many were projecting Lee to be top 10.

I wanted us to draft Robert Woods so badly, thought he'd be perfect for us. Still wish we had, although I do have an inkling that Aaron Dobson is very close to initiating beast mode.

I wanted us to draft Robert Woods so badly, thought he'd be perfect for us. Still wish we had, although I do have an inkling that Aaron Dobson is very close to initiating beast mode.
I really wanted Woods last year as well, and yeah I'm starting to like Dobson too but I still think...Woods catching balls from TB>>>Dosbson catching balls from TB

Marqise Lee would be nice, but it seems like a smoke screen. He will be long-gone before the Patriots pick. If not, then they have a dilemma because they really need more help at other positions such as TE, DL, S, and even LB.

I watched his highlights and he is a "long-strider". He 40 time is not that stellar, but he has deep speed and the ability to accelerate throughout his route and pull away from DBs. And he is slippery/smooth as an eel after the catch. Not bad, but that Patriots have more pressing needs. If the Patriots do take him, then I gotta believe it is a pick to mollify Brady.

Marqise Lee would be nice, but it seems like a smoke screen. He will be long-gone before the Patriots pick. If not, then they have a dilemma because they really need more help at other positions such as TE, DL, S, and even LB.

I watched his highlights and he is a "long-strider". He 40 time is not that stellar, but he has deep speed and the ability to accelerate throughout his route and pull away from DBs. And he is slippery/smooth as an eel after the catch. Not bad, but that Patriots have more pressing needs. If the Patriots do take him, then I gotta believe it is a pick to mollify Brady.

Matt Miller on Odell Beckham vs. Marqise Lee:

I've always been told that the combine is to be used as a way to separate players with a similar grade. Heading into the week, Odell Beckham Jr. and Marqise Lee carried a very close grade on my board.

After? Beckham comes out on top.

Watching Beckham play, you saw the speed and agility, but there's something about seeing that on the field compared to his peers. The LSU junior blew me away in Indianapolis. He's moving up the board.

2014 NFL Draft: Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook, Post-Combine | Bleacher Report

I personally have Beckham much more highly rated than Lee. Beckham has rare explosiveness. I'm frankly not sure that Lee is going to be that much of an upgrade over Kenbrell Thompkins.

I personally have Beckham much more highly rated than Lee. Beckham has rare explosiveness. I'm frankly not sure that Lee is going to be that much of an upgrade over Kenbrell Thompkins.

Not me. They seem somewhat comparable, but I would give a slight edge to Lee, despite his slower 40 time. Of course we are but amateurs here; it could go either way. We need to revisit this comparison in a few years.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back