Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Draft Redux" - Don Banks

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by TriplecHamp, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +124 / 2 / -1

#24 Jersey

Michael Oher to Lions, Percy Harvin to Chiefs - Don Banks - SI.com

Don Banks reprojects the first round based on performances so far. A few notables...

Hmm looks like a couple of FLORIDA wideouts that nobody wanted to touch are in there along with a couple of SC Backers.

2. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,887 / 6 / -6

Re: "Draft Redux"-Don Banks

I personally think these redo drafts are pretty stupid, especially this early. But I also think Sebastian Vollmer will end up being the best pick out of the entire draft.

3. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +36 / 14 / -10

Belichick would've taken the envelope himself to pick Harvin if the Vikes didn't snatch him away.

4. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +1,887 / 6 / -6

Are you as bitter and dumb as you sound? Let's make judgments based on 3/4 of a season. And who the heck are are "Laurenaitis" and "Melanagua"?

I thought Michael Oher and Vontae Davis were terrible fits for the Pats. I'll take Sebastian Vollmer and Darius Butler anyday. We could have taken Darius Butler at 23 and no one would have made a peep at the time. And he was every bit as developed a prospect as Vontae Davis - the Pats just tend to bring rookies along more slowly than other teams. Play him more, and he'll perform just as well if not better than Davis, who has great athleticism but isn't the sharpest tack in the box (nor is Oher, for that matter - see a trend here?).

Sure, BB's made some mistakes, but who hasn't? I would have loved to have taken some LBs, and said so at the time. Laurinaitis and Maualuga lasted to the 2nd round, so I don't think they were unanimously viewed as "impact" LBs. Opinion was highly divided about Matthews, who had only 1 year starting experience and who had bulked up considerably. In retrospect, Matthews would have been a great pick. But to say "Bill has ruined this team" is just ridiculous. The Pats have one of the better draft records in the NFL over his tenure, and while he's clearly made mistakes, he's also made some of the best moves in the draft. Vollmer may end up being one of the best picks in the entire 2009 draft.

The Browns, Rams, Lions and Raiders are in need of fans, if you think that BB has "ruined" the Patriots.

5. slash83

slash83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

If your talking tackles wise I agree.

6. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +148 / 2 / -3

Wow. The Bleacher Report. I'm impressed. It's not like they let just anyone post an "column" there.

I can also show you a list of other teams that passed on any particular player as well.

So it seems as though all GMs in the NFL tend to "screw it up" and fail to draft players that do well on other teams too.

The truth is that drafting is no where near a science, and that drafting in volume is the best way to maximize talent. Other GMs or coaches make mistakes too - but most of them have so much ego tied up in the success of their picks that they'll play guys who don't deserve playing time simply because of where they were drafted, making the team worse but saving face.

Belichick has made his fair share of mistakes but one thing he won't do is play someone who doesn't deserve to be playing - and has no problem cutting someone even if they're drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round if a roster spot is better served by having someone else in it.

In short, you don't seem to have a clue, seemingly using the lack of snaps of certain rookies to illustrate your criticism of Belichick when that's actually a sign of a very wise coach, who recognizes that not every 2nd round player - very few in fact - are ready for prime time in their rookie year.

7. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Melanagua? Laurenaitis? O'Callahan? Antwain? Jerrod? Bryan (Hoyer)? Cassell? Ladamian?

Do you even read what you write, or do you not even bother because you already have zero credibility?

8. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +1,887 / 6 / -6

Potentially all picks, IMHO. If Vollmer ends up being a true franchise pro bowl LT, then to find such a guy at 58 would be as good a pick as any from this draft. Not sure who would be a better value.

9. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

With all the picks the Pats had going into the 2009 draft, I said this was a make or break draft for the BB-Brady era. Although a lot of people are satisfied with their draft class, I feel this class is going to set them back even further. I don't like it at all.

Vollmer and maybe Butler show the most promise. That's about it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  10. skri65

skri65 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wow, talk about a little short-sighted. We're 13 games through their rookie year. Vollmer has the potential to be an all-pro tackle, butler has potential to be a starter, and pryor was a huge pick as well. Oh, and until Edelman broke his forearm, he was leading rookies in catches. Those are four very valuable picks. It is simply way to early to cast Chung, Brace, and the rest off. Chung, especially. His work ethic is crazy good, and he has Patriots written all over him. It's unfortunate for him he has Merriweather and Mcgowan ahead of him, because with enough playing time, I fully believe Chung will be a solid contributor. I'm very very pleased with this draft so far. Not everyone can be year one stars...compare this draft with some other teams.

11. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +36 / 14 / -10

What up, Bro? Two starters (including our LT for the forseeable future) and three more key contributors (Chung, Pryor, Edelman) not enough for ya? If the past is any indicator, guys that play a lot in NE in year 1 usually turn out to be studs. The jury's still out on Brace and Mckenzie, but the talent is certainly there. Be patient, Bro.

12. skri65

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

"Bill has ruined this team."

Wow. Just wow. I don't even know how to respond to that. Ladies and Gentleman, "Bill Belichick has ruined this team."

That might just be one of the funniest things i've ever read on this board.
    :singing::singing::singing::singing:

13. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +1,887 / 6 / -6

Fixed it for you.

14. skri65

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Please revert to your former point and back it up. In case you didn't remember, it was "Bill Belichick has ruined this team." GO!

15. skri65

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wow, your absurdity continues. You are now arguing that Mayo was a bust. WOW. This gets better and better.

GEDDIE72: DUDE, MAYO WAS DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR LAST YEAR. HE TORE HIS MCL THIS YEAR AND THUS IS PLAYING WITH A SIGNIFICANT INJURY. GIVE ME A BREAK. YOU ARE MAKING A FOOL OF YOURSELF BY SAYING THAT HE IS A BUST.

16. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +1,887 / 6 / -6

As far as drinking "kool-aid" goes, here's my thoughts on some of your alternatives:

2006 - I wanted DeAngelo Williams over Maroney at RB, and Greg Jennings over Chad Jackson at WR. I agree with you (though I don't think LoMo has been a bust), and think that 2006 was by far BB's worst draft of the decade. We missed out on lots of other guys - RB Maurice Jones-Drew, CB Richard Marshall, TE Owen Daniels, WR Bandon Marshall, RT Willie Colon, DE/OLB Elvis Dumervil, etc. No argument.

2007 - we didn't get anything from the late round picks. I liked Jon Beason and would have been fine with him, but we needed safety help more and Meriweather has been a solid player. He was our best defender for most of this season. Beason has been a stud for Carolina, but I think he's more of a 4-3 MLB than a 3-4 ILB.

2008 - Mayo was a home run. He's been injured this year, but has still been productive. Leodis McKelvin hasn't done squat. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Ryan Clady would have been great alternatives, but I'm fine with Mayo. The 31 pick was taken away from us, so that's crying over spilt milk. Wheatley (62), Crable (78) and Kevin O'Connell (94) have been major disappointments so far.

2009 - too early to tell. As I said earlier, I'll take Vollmer over Oher for us, and Butler over Vontae Davis any day. I would have been happy with some LBs in the first 2 rounds, including but not limited to the guys you mention.

If that's drinking cool-aid, I'll try the cherry.

17. jays52

jays52 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +347 / 1 / -1

#91 Jersey

I love you, sweetheart. You're a riot!

You know what's the best? That you call out people for citing system when you point out multiple poor system fits. Jon Beason? Cover-2 Mike. Michael Oher? Not a screen nor open field tackle. Son of Animal? Last block he saw had different colored numbers written on each side. Maualuga? Ever see what happens when a guard touches him? Ever see Clay Matthews' Son in check-based coverage?

Interesting perspective on Chung, especially considering the safety play NE has had this year. Can you even name the starters? Wanna talk about the future leader of the NE secondary? Number 25, pal. Work ethic, rare hips and explosion, he's also becoming a pretty proficient blitzer.

Let's make a deal, bud. How about we keep drinking our well educated kool-aid while you can take your community college remedial english and head back to the bleacher report. Full sets of chromosomes are required to post here.

18. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

"Merriweather?"

Are you even trying to spell names correctly?

19. mayoclinic

Ratings:
    +1,887 / 6 / -6

Where the heck have you been? I've missed you. See what kind of drivel we have to read on this board when you don't post?

20. jays52

jays52 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +347 / 1 / -1

#91 Jersey

Haha! I've been around my friend, I've been around. Traveling quite a bit lately, finally back home for a bit. Few fishing trips, few work related things. I need to start checking out some college prospects so I can get after it on the draft board with you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.