PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
not about players, but, say we have a top 5 pick, and BB doesnt want it cuz of the cose/commitment, and noone is giving us a trade worthwhile...

our last option would be to let the time ran out...in which case we will drop in the order...but who knows by how much?

i remember i think Cincy did it a while ago, and they dropped like 7 spots, but is that the actual amount by the rules, or was that chance?

so, in concice terms....if we let the tiem run out when choosing our 1st round pick, how many spots will we drop? say we pick at 5...

As I understand it, using the Minnesota Vikings first round fiasco as a template, as soon as the Patriots' draft clock hits 0:00, then the next team afterwards can immediately submit their draft choice, and then the next team, and then the next team etc until the Patriots have made up their mind of whom to select from the now smaller pool of available players AND can get their paper slip to the commissioner's table ahead of whomever else is making a mad dash through Madison Square Garden.

So the short answer is that the drop in slots on passing on a pick is dependent on how quickly the teams beneath you move. It could be a drop of 0 if in your example the #6 team is taking its time, and the Pats decide 5 minutes into the wait that so and so from Nowhere St. U is the best choice and get the slip up to the commissioner, or it could be three minutes have passed and the Pats are picking at #17.

If that is correct I would rather just try to trade or just draft someone at that spot instead of letting the time run out.

The thing is, there will likely be controversy with our #1 if we do that, with his agent saying he should be paid top 5 money. Now granted, perhaps the rep of the Patriots will overcome whatever hardball the agent plays, but I don't think this team will want to do that. Hopefully we can make a trade with someone for their #1 and #2 and a future pick. Would be fine with me as long as we get an athletic, IMPACT defensive player.

You guys are nuts.

Why don't we simply trade our draft choice to another team lower in the draft order, with no compensation. There will many teams ready to accomodate us.

Your scenario is based on these facts:

1. The Patriots do not want to select a player at their current draft position. 2. They want to trade
3. They do not have a backup plan if no acceptable trade is on the table.

How long have you been a Pats fan for?

this draft is RICH with linemen on o and d. bill will choose quickly. dont expect to get a flashy running back either people. there are too many great linemen out there this year

this draft is RICH with linemen on o and d. bill will choose quickly. dont expect to get a flashy running back either people. there are too many great linemen out there this year

Agreed. I have heard that there is a significant drop off in talent in lineman and QBs, but not so much at RB, CB, etc. Belichick puts the team's money where the value is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News