PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks: Scott Pioli might be gone next year, if Pats win SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
There always will be speculation...but I agree where will he have a BETTER chance of showing greatness?? the combination here is super..why break up a good thing?? Sure there are wads of money...but there are things deeper than that...

Pioli discussed all of this last March....he'll be around here for a long time.

Do you think anyone in the world can bring a better offer than MICROSOFT?? He already turned those cats down...a year or so ago.

Seattle offered Pioli a LOT of money.

As the past has proven, it isn't just about the cash, although I'm sure that Pioli has a job or two that he has his eye on.

As others have said, it's all guesswork and speculation - but I'm not too concerned about the what if's that start with IF WE WIN THE SUPERBOWL; give me another win and I'll give a little :)

Bunkam, Banks.

Pure bunkham.

I think the Chargers prove that you can have alot of talent, but if your coaching sucks, then your team is going to suck.

Pioli could easily get full GM control of another team, but without the scouting/coaching in place, he won't end up producing a super bowl contender.

Pioli, among avid patriots fans, is greatly appreciated. Pioli, among casual fans, is unknown. And I could see how that can potentially irk a person & make them want to go elsewhere.

The problem is that, like BB, other top coaches have full or partial GM control. So, I don't think Pioli is going to find a situation where he's got a top coaching staff, and is able to receive full GM control.

I hope he stays, because I think BB/Pioli make a great team. I won't fault him for leaving. I just don't think the sun is shining brightly on his destination city. And hopefully for him, to receive partial credit for building one of the great dynasties is more appealing than receiving full credit for building an average franchise.

Last edited:
In a way, I don't like even bothering with stuff like this, because it's always coming around. But there's an aspect to it that bugs me too much to ignore.

What all these guys can't seem to grasp is that BB and Pioli are both smart and saavy enough to realize they've already reached the promised land--they are well compensated (Kraft's gonna pay them whatever it takes) and they are in an IDEAL situation--with the organization, the coach, the qb, the STADIUM, everything. They are building a legacy of excellence, of historic greatness. No matter WHAT line of work you're in, this is EXACTLY what you hope to reach--that perfect storm of elements that allows you to do your job with maximum money, and maximum satisfaction.

Scott P would leave for what, exactly? Not the money. For the "glory" of being called a GM?? Yeah, that's a real heady title. There's only hundreds of them in professional sports.

Sorry, media: their "dream" job is not to go to the Giants, or any other place. They found it. The drama of the Patriots is not to be found in its leaders jumping ship. The drama comes from a group of men making history. In 50 years, this team will be part of the discussion. THAT is priceless.

In order to get into the HOF as an executive, you really have to have done something spectacular for the game of football. Pioli's a hell of a GM, but he hasn't saved the game or anything like that.

True, but would winning say, six Super Bowls be spectacular enough????

why would he leave at 4,i think 6 has a better ring to it, no ones done that

Well, no GM has done it.

But the Pats' strength caveman, er, coach, Mike Woicik, has six rings--three with the Cowboys, three with the Pats.

BB and Kraft would let Pioli leave if Pioli really felt it was the right opportunity...

But that would NEVER be to an AFC East Rival - they would not allow that and if Pioli somehow forced himself free and went to an AFC East Rival it would be the same as stabbing them in the back.

THAT'S the unwritten rule that ManJudas broke that left his relations so cool with BB initially (then top that off with ManJudas trying to steal assistants too and you can say goodbye to being on BB's Festivus Card list)

I just don't understand this reasoning at all. It's as if they think that every successful GM will change jobs and every successful coach will retire. It's not like the Patriots are going to go cheap with Pioli and it's not as if he's not respected here, and it's not like he isn't challenged, either.

I just don't understand this reasoning at all. It's as if they think that every successful GM will change jobs and every successful coach will retire. It's not like the Patriots are going to go cheap with Pioli and it's not as if he's not respected here, and it's not like he isn't challenged, either.

I know I also don't get the whole "Wants the challenge of building a winner from the ground up" kind of thing. For me, that's mainly for egos like Parcells. And isn't the challenge of maintaining excellence in this era a bit more....unprecedented?

Pioli will stay with the Pats, until he is appointed NFL Commissioner.

I think if the steamrolling Patriots go on to win their fourth Super Bowl title in seven seasons, New England's vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli will finally get an offer to be another team's general manager that he can't turn down.???????:bricks:

I think this is the year Jessica Alba will realize those other guys can't give her what I will.:p

Last edited:
It's all speculation just like BB leaving for NY or wherever.

You guys should really just keep enjoying this season.

Leave it to SI to start this speculitive bull **** while we're having the times of our lives. Last time I personally click on any other topics like this actually.

BB and Kraft would let Pioli leave if Pioli really felt it was the right opportunity...

But that would NEVER be to an AFC East Rival - they would not allow that and if Pioli somehow forced himself free and went to an AFC East Rival it would be the same as stabbing them in the back.

THAT'S the unwritten rule that ManJudas broke that left his relations so cool with BB initially (then top that off with ManJudas trying to steal assistants too and you can say goodbye to being on BB's Festivus Card list)

Scott is free to go any time. Ultimate control of football ops rests with BB. A few years ago Kraft tried to push for clubs to be able to control other execs but the move failed. Thing is Scott has turned down all comers since. Paul Allen offered him a boatload of cash, but it was tied to Holmgren who was losing control of football ops.

Most of the teams Banks is even able to mention have issues Scott would likely not care to deal with or owners he has no reason to believe could be trusted to let him do it his way.

I think Scott will be here at least as long as Bill, and maybe longer as head of football ops when this franchise eventualy transitions to life after Belichick and Brady. Remember he's also married to Tuna's daughter Dallas, who grew up an NFL brat and like an Army brat may want nothing more for her kids than the stability and security NE has provided. That's a rare commodity in the NFL as she well knows. At least as rare as owners who can't balance the fine line between unwavering support and involvement and constant second guessing and interference.

Scott is free to go any time. Ultimate control of football ops rests with BB.

I don't think Pioli cares about "final control of football decisions." That's the thing, he's more or less the final say, but Belichick and him are such good friends and business partners that they come to a compromise or see eye-to-eye on such matters. Therefore, he doesn't need the technical "final say" because he already has it.

It's all just an overrated technicality. For all intents and purposes, Pioli has final say on football matters, whether that clause is in his contract or not.

Banks went to King's seminar title, "If you keep throwing sh!t up against the wall eventually something will stick."

Nobody has any real insight into what's happening in the Patriots front office.

When they announce it we'll know it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back